2 new Sony HDV cams with interchangeable lens - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #121
Regular Crew

It sounds like a step forward. I'm definitely interested.

I get the idea that both camcorders can record to tape AND/OR Compact Flash Cards so, if true that "tape is dead," then flash memory lives (although I don't think "tape is dead," and in fact now that Sony says it can put 1080p onto tape it might help keep tape as a viable format.

In fact Sony's info says that with a special unit that recordings can be done on both tape and disk at the same time. So...no problem.

How, though, I wonder, do these new products fit in with the also newly announced (and not yet released) Sony PMW-EX1 ?

So are the drawbacks of HDV: 1) it's GOP and not so precise for editing...is this significant? and 2) it needs to be compressed because it's data rate is not so fast?
Barry Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #122
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Kay View Post
..........both camcorders can record to tape AND/OR Compact Flash Cards so, if true that "tape is dead," then flash memory lives
"Tape is dead" has been said for a while, and just has not happened yet. I like to think of "tape" as the older partner in a business, experienced, but looking to retirement, and in the process of handing over to his much younger partner. Increasingly, he will spend more time on the golf course, but the business is stronger with both of them than with either of them singly. And all the time, the young "solid state" becomes more capable.

The CF/tape hybrid I see as an excellent step at the moment.
Quote:
How, though, I wonder, do these new products fit in with the also newly announced (and not yet released) Sony PMW-EX1 ?
I suspect they are aimed at the lower end of the pro market, the EX a bit higher, and to fit in as a B camera to other HD-XDCAM.
Quote:
So are the drawbacks of HDV: 1) it's GOP and not so precise for editing...is this significant? and 2) it needs to be compressed because it's data rate is not so fast?
It should be precise for editing, but is likely to need more computing power to handle it, or transcoding for editing ease.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #123
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I think it goes where the handle on the right side is. BIZARRE! Hope they take the F970s!

heath
Actually, Heath, I think the CF recorder fits OVER the battery... take a look at this review on a German site (Google translated) -- http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

The editors seem to imply that the CF recorder slips over the battery itself. And I THINK.... if I can decipher the somewhat random translation... they're saying you could set up the tape to record Standard Definition while simultaneously recording High Definition to the CF card, or vice-versa. I could imagine shooting scenarios where that might be useful.

Some nice close ups of the camera there, too.

Also, if you go to the second page of the Sony.biz.net link above, you'll see the NPF970s are listed as an accessory for the Z7.

I really like this compact modular concept. In theory, if Sony continues down this path, you could buy a Z7 now, then maybe in a few years, maybe buy a 1/3" XDCAM recorder back, and reuse your lens and CF recorder. Or you can use the CF recorder as a standalone deck. I see Sony's already talking about a second, wider angle lens for these cameras coming out in June. This strikes me as a much better way to go than screw-on wide angle adaptors.

Looking better and better.
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #124
Regular Crew

Ignore. I didn't see the move...
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #125
Regular Crew

a Lenses

One of the most interesting things to me is the claim of being able to use the new Sony alpha lenses from the Sony DSLR line, most notably the Sony Alpha 700. That DSLR uses the same EXMOR sensor that is in the EX1.

"Using a special adaptor, users can also attach the α lens series designed for Sony’s consumer digital SLR still cameras."

I am curious how much they will hurt us with the cost of the adapter though.
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #126
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
I really like this compact modular concept.
Yes, I agree, and it's got me wondering if the CF recorder could be used with existing cameras like the DSR450. That would be a cheap way to get into tapeless workflows now, until HD working was needed.

It also gets me wondering if they may do a similar device using SxS?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #127
Major Player

I wonder if it will have the rotating grip that the XDCam EX does.
I think that's a VERY practical design feature.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #128
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
I wonder if it will have the rotating grip that the XDCam EX does.
I think that's a VERY practical design feature.
Yes, it will. The 2 cameras share a couple of new and cool features. One thing that makes me wonder is why the EX1 (which is positioned a bit higher, after all) doesn't have the higher resolution EVF that the Z7 has.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #129
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Yes, I agree, and it's got me wondering if the CF recorder could be used with existing cameras like the DSR450. That would be a cheap way to get into tapeless workflows now, until HD working was needed.

It also gets me wondering if they may do a similar device using SxS?
It would be great if Sony takes this concept one step further and makes the camera head/sensor array and recorder into separate, modular units, like the DXC-D35 DVCAM camera, or the SI Mini. Then you could mix and match lens, sensors, recording codec and media depending on your budget and what the job required.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #130
Inner Circle

I know this is a new age and 1/3" chips are the new 2/3" chips and all, but I think $11,000 for a 1/3" chip HDV camera seems expensive.

I wonder why Sony did not build this camera around the 1/2" EX chips?

Then the price might seem more in line.

Maybe it is too close to the XDCAM 335.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #131
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I know this is a new age and 1/3" chips are the new 2/3" chips and all, but I think $11,000 for a 1/3" chip HDV camera seems expensive.
I agree. It's the $6000 handheld Z7 that's really interesting to me. I bet Sony sells way more of the Z7 than they do its shoulder-mount brother.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post

I wonder why Sony did not build this camera around the 1/2" EX chips?

Then the price might seem more in line.

Maybe it is too close to the XDCAM 335.
The $10500.00 (Probably $9,000 street) shoulder mount camera has HDSSDI out which commands a premium. Also, that camera is aimed at the JVC 250, (Around the 10-12k street, HDSDI) which is being standardized in several TV stations and some networks like ABC Mr. McKnight said that all of the Scripps TV stations are buying 1/3 inch JVC's for HD. So it actually will be $2,000 cheaper than comparable cameras that are aimed at midmarket TV stations migrating to HD.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #133
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
I agree. It's the $6000 handheld Z7 that's really interesting to me. I bet Sony sells way more of the Z7 than they do its shoulder-mount brother.
I don't doubt you're proabably right, but funnily enough my preference goes with a shoulder mount. Having used a Z1 for the last few years I've been increasingly fed up with the weight, the poor balance and the front heavy feel, the fiddliness of certain controls, menus etc...
the weight issue is further compounded if you add matte boxes, filters, mics, radio receivers etc... the whole lot gets pretty hard to hold steady for any length of time.

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #134
Trustee

Prior to launch? hmmm... sounds big.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #135
Major Player

check this link

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/14/s...dv-camcorders/
Robert Bec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270