Sony Z7 with CF card recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Z7 with CF card recording

http://www.film-tv-video.de/newsdeta...5Byear%5D=2007

Found this German site with photos and text which i cant read. Looks like the new Sony HDV handheld with interchangeable lenses can record to CF cards too!
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Trustee

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Japanese source: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...1114/sony1.htm

3 ClearVid CMOS with Exmor technology... This does not necessarily mean the speed will be as fast as the real Exmors in the EX1. I guessing this camera will still have rolling shutter problems like the previous ClearVid CMOS cameras before it. It's more likely the technology be used for NR.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Here is the official article on Sony UK's Website: http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1193315635243

Looks like a great cam, wonder what price the Z7 will be at. I also heard that the shoulder-mount takes full-size HDV tapes.

Last edited by Colin Zhang; November 14th, 2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: q about price
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Japanese price is listed in the Japanese article.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My German is a bit rough.

Wow... Sony reckon it will be compatible with the Sony Alpha range of DSLR lenses... there's also a built in live histogram. Aside from that, I don't know why they bothered with DVCam. With the CF recording, there is no mention of how many slots/cards it supports any any one time. Obviously dropouts are a major issue with HDV (knock on wood), I'm yet to have one at a critical moment) considering the need to include Solid State.

Another thing that wasn't explained was whether or not it supported straight to CF recording (i.e. no tape) or pre-roll recording.

Also, I'm baffled as to why they didn't have an internal connection for SDI to CF (aside from cost of course) considering the CF connection is built in.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
My German is a bit rough.

Wow... Sony reckon it will be compatible with the Sony Alpha range of DSLR lenses... there's also a built in live histogram. Aside from that, I don't know why they bothered with DVCam. With the CF recording, there is no mention of how many slots/cards it supports any any one time. Obviously dropouts are a major issue with HDV (knock on wood), I'm yet to have one at a critical moment) considering the need to include Solid State.

Another thing that wasn't explained was whether or not it supported straight to CF recording (i.e. no tape) or pre-roll recording.

Also, I'm baffled as to why they didn't have an internal connection for SDI to CF (aside from cost of course) considering the CF connection is built in.
It supports HDV/DV straight to CF recording as well as DVCAM for the good ol' tape, possibly at the same time. That also answered your question about DVCAM, its because the Z7 also records to tape. The a series DSLR lenses work with an adaptor. It is also compatible with 1/2" or possibly even 2/3" lenses with a special adaptor. There is actually more specific info on the preliminary information page on the Sony UK site.
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Oh its clear that dual recording to tape and card is there, but there was no menion of a tapeless recording option.

In addition, just thinking out loud here, but I would really hate to see what the crop factor would be when mounting a DSLR lens on this thing.. More than likely it would be anything between 7x to 8x crop factor (i.e. 50mm turns to something like 300mm+)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

the Sony HVR-Z7U

this is surely not the right forum for this thread -- but I've been away for awhile, and I don't know where else to put it.

I handled the Sony HVR-Z7U today at the GV Expo in Wash DC.

Last year I passsed on the Sony HDV cameras (after being an only Sony guy forever) and got the XHA1.

If I was deciding on a camera today, I would without doubt get HVR-Z7U (despite it costing maybe twice what you can get the XHA1 for.)

The HVR-Z7U is the best package I have ever seen in a camera.

I'll just mention a few things that I recall:

Beautiful pictures (of course)

Though it has a fat removable zeis zoom bayonetted to it, the camera felt comfortably balanced on my wrist. I sensed no front forward stress because Sony adjusted the grip and body balance for excelent user comfort.

A standard non proprietary CF recorder ships with every HVR-Z7U. The camera mini-dv HDV recorder can automatically record when the CF cards runs out. Love it.

In low light they say its as sensitive and quiet as a PD 170.

The zoom instantly converts between auto and manual focus with hard stops, simply by pulling on the focus ring. Manual adjustment is possible while in autofocus.

1080P/i, 24P, 50P (though not 50i, because of greymarket export concerns)

Live focus assist -- making it possible to engage focus assist while video is being recorded (something I have always wanted).

Manual zoom and iris rings.

The camera can be adapted to take SLR and prime lenses.

The cmos chips are read in a new faster and more accurate way that prevents the distortion that can be produced by a rolling shutter during a fast pan, or with fast moving subjects.

VERY sharp and big external LCD

2 XLRs w/limiters.

Uses standard 970 batteries that can go 4+ hrs.

At least 3 shoe / attachment points

Many many external switches for controling everything.

Approx $6500 with lens and CF Recorder.

If someone gave me enough for my A1, I'd be tempted to make the switch
Barry Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #10
Wrangler

See the new HVR-Z7 forum.
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Major Player

No doubt about it, its a nice looking cam! I love the CF recording and I hope that off-the-shelf solid state recording is something Canon incorporates on the next XH versions.

I know its said a lot, but these are really good times for people looking to buy a camcorder. From $800 to $6800, whatever the budget is, you're bound to be able to find something that'll knock your socks off.
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

It all looks fantastic once again... but on which track is Sony now?

How many different systems - even for HD - do they have in place? What is Sony's strategy on solid state now, with this new challenge on the horizon: recording on CF cards, not on propriety?

Are even the pro's not getting a bit saturated with very different workflows and solutions, and lots of hardware, degrading in a few months time?

What we see happening here proofs at least one thing: AVCHD still seems to be intended for Sony's consumer cams only, at least at this moment.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Canon XH to Sony Z7 / S270.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #14
New Boot

Successful or doomed marketing strategy?

I cannot accept that there is a technical necessity or niches for all these different HD cameras, just as I do not think that we need three different gaming platforms. So, it must me marketing? If so will it work? Nonetheless, it must costly to develop and produce all of these different types of Sony cameras. I have just left Sony for the Canon A1 and this new Sony does nothing to change my mind, not to mention my pocket book!
John Arnold Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #15
Major Player

I handled the Z7U today as well

I was less impressed. This is probably because the camera is not aimed at me or my work.

This is an HDV camera, with an MSRP very close to the EX1.

With the exception of the shape of the camera, SDI and the fact that it has two audio inputs, this camera seems to be technically identical to the HVR-270U. Same sensors, lens mount, lens, CF reader, menus... same.

It has good sensors, but they are 1/3" inch. They had a tendency to bloom on hot subjects, but otherwise were quite satisfactory. A definite improvement over most 1/3" HDV sensors- possibly all, but I haven't compared them critically.

I found the colors to be desaturated. I didn't have time to mess with the controls to see if I could correct this in camera.

I was judging the camera on some LUMA LCD's Sony had set up next to the cameras. Admittedly I spent a lot more time with the HVR-270U- but as I said they have the same imaging block.

The main advantage it has for event shooters is that it records to HDV tape and CF cards. It will rollover between card and tape... so you can get continuous shooting.

The Zeiss lens was not that great. The controls left a great deal to be desired. I really disliked the iris control as it was a spin forever control. (why? I don't know.) They are still prototypes, so we shouldn't be too judgmental.

Fortunately the lens is interchangeable. Furthermore it has the same 1/3" mounts as the JVC ProHD cameras- so you can get some much better lenses. I like the notion of a developing market for standard 1/3" glass.

I have pictures, I'll put them up later.

I'd be more impressed if Sony decides to sell this camera as a "body only."

Last edited by Alexander Ibrahim; November 16th, 2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence/paragraph.
Alexander Ibrahim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270