Sony Z7 / S270 various topics - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 4th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #76
Wrangler

In the case of 25P vs 50i it shouldn't make a difference. There is no pulldown to worry about so the simple fact that progressive frames have been recorded into 50i makes it a non-issue to edit in a 50i sequence.

One caveat: if you are animating graphics you will notice that they are being rendered into 50i.
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #77
Tourist

4 channels audio in m2t file? s270

Got a question.

I Have the HVR-S270 and most of the time I use all of the audio channels, 1+2+3 and 4, but when I want to capture from tape the 3rd and 4th channel I have to change the setting of the firewire output to ch 3+4 instead of 1+2.

But when I load the m2t in FCP Studio 2 or Sony vegas I only have the 1st and 2nd channel and can't choose ch 3 and 4 but they are recorded in the file.

Does someone have the same problem or a solution?

Hans Dijkman
steadiHD Media Productions
www.steadihd.com
Hans Dijkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #78
Regular Crew

XY color - LCD vs. Plasma?

Is anyone shooting with XY color on? If so, what do you think of this mode if you have a monitor that has this feature to view the footage on?

LCD or Plasma? What do you folks prefer to view your finished projects (or any other program) on. A lot of folks prefer the plasma technology for its increased contrast ratio and greater color range . I just find plasma looks a bit pixelised compared to most of the LCD panels I've looked at. I have to quickly replace a faulty 42" LCD TV / monitor within a day or two. Any input, recommendations etc. would be appreciated.

Also, it would be cool to know what other Z7U shooters and editors prefer and use.

Thanks!

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #79
Regular Crew

I had a DSR 570 before my 270 and I thought the 570 was good in low light, but after a couple of weddings now( in summer) I think the 270 is probably as good in low light . The maximum gain I have used so far is 9db but havent seen the end result yet..it looked OK on the cameras LCD screen. On a sunny day yesterday I had to go to filter 4( no gain) to compensate for the amout of light. I should have set position one to negative gain rather than zero. No complaints then about sensitivity but the eyepiece viewfinder is rubbish in my opinion( compared with the 570's tube)
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #80
Major Player

I saw some HD-footage of my Z7 on a Sony full-HD LCD-tv (PAL) and that is stunning.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #81
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Tapeworks Texas Inc HVRZ7U Summer Special

Tapeworks is having a Summer promotion for the HVRZ7U camcorder that will be valid through August 31, 2008!

Sony HVRZ7U HDV Camcorder with Interchangeable Lens Capability, 1/3" Exmor CMOS Sensors
Kit Includes: AC-VQ1050 Adapter/Charger, NP-F570 infoLITHIUM Rechargeable Battery Pack, CR2025 Lithium Battery, A/V Connecting Cable, Component Video Cable, Lens Hood with Cover, Shoe Adapter, Shoe Kit, Eye Cup, RMT-831 Wireless Remote Commander, ECM-XM1 Monaural Electolet Condenser Microphone,
Operating Instructions, HVR-MRC1 Memory Recording Unit Kit, 1-Year Parts and Labor Warranty
Tapeworks Summer Promotion Price: $5,459.00

Contact Tapeworks Texas Inc Toll free 866-827-3489 for a customized quotation!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #82
Regular Crew

That's about what I paid ($5479) from an authorized dealer (that I am not allow to mention) on February 20th of this year.

kdbf
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #83
Tourist

s270 capture prest in Final Cut Studio 2

I can't get my s270 working in Final Cut with FireWire because the capture preset isn't right.
Does anyone know the right one?

HDV 1080 50i

Last edited by Hans Dijkman; June 12th, 2008 at 06:50 AM.
Hans Dijkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Camera Comparison

Hi,
I've been reading up on this forum and found it to be a great source of information based on user experience.

Right now, I am looking around to buy a camera for event videography and its come down to two choices for me: XH-A1 or Z7U.

I've tried looking for a comparison of the two cameras on multiple sites, but cant seem to find one. The biggest factor for me is low light.

Z7U users reported really good low light performance, but XH-A1 has varying reports of low light performance. I've heard some users complain about its lowlight while others say its really good. Has anybody done a side by side comparison of this? I'd love to see it.
Ryan Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #85
Regular Crew

CF/Tape Timecode Match

Here's a scenario I'm curious about...shooting with a Z7 and editing with FCP:

1. Record to card(s) and tape(s) simultaneously.

2. Edit a project native HDV using the card(s)...essentially offline.

3. Re-batch through either HDMI or HD-SDI...edit/conform/color correct same project in ProRes HQ, essentially on-line.

Will the timecode match in this case? There wouldn't be lot of quick starts and stops when recording. My work is corporate and for broadcast. I've come to like ProRes HQ. It's 10 bit and seems to hold up much better to graphics and color correction.

I know similar work flows have been talked about here, but I don't remember ever seeing a definitive answer.

Thanks,

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #86
Regular Crew

HDV to tape 4:3 SD to CF work flow

Can anyone let me know the setup for recording HDV to tape and SD 4:3 to CF on the Z7. I will be shooting a wedding this weekend and the final product will be SD. I would like to have the tape HDV for backup and future demo reel material.

Thanks
Jason
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Hey Folks I finally found the thread thanks. But if anyone has any tips I should know when doing this please let me know.

Thanks
Jason
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Z7 Progressive Question

I've read a lot about how the Z7's way of recording 24p is different and wont play back on older decks such as the M15U or GV-HD700. Is this the case when also recording in 30p?

Also, I noticed that there are 2 types of 24p stated in the Z7 online manual. Whats the difference between the two?
Ryan Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #89
New Boot

HVR-Z7 Tape vs. CF card recording -reation time

Just tested, how fast can you start recording on tape and on CF card
Here are my test results:

1.If the camcorder is turned off:
Tape rec. stars in 9 sec.
MRU rec. starts in 15 sec.
2.If the camcorder is turned on and you push the rec. button
Tape rec. stars in 1 sec.
MRU rec. starts in 1 sec.
3. If during recording push the rec. button twice (sop, start again)
Tape rec. restars in 6 sec.
MRU rec. restarts in 5 sec.
4. In sand by after a time (3min) the "STBY" sign disappears
Tape rec. restars in 6 sec.
MRU rec. starts in 1 sec.

These times are just for one type of recording (not synchronous mode)
Zoltan Lorincz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #90
Major Player

Z7U CF Recorder + HV30 + Glidecam 4000

I'm going to attach (not sure how) my Compact Flash recorder from my Z7U to my Canon HV30. I then plan on attaching all of that to my Glidecam 4000. Any idea on the best way to attach the CF unit to the HV30? The CF reader has a mounting hole on the bottom (as well as the HV30), but whats the best way to do this?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270