Sony Z7 / S270 various topics - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 25th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #106
Major Player

I found the deck answer here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...ive-modes.html

But can anyone still confirm or deny that you can play back Z7 tapes on a Z1P?

Thanks!

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #107
New Boot

Hmm, when I compare my Z7 footage to my FX1, I see improved sharpness on the Z7 in all lighting conditions. It could depend on a variety of factors. I leave my sharpness setting to default, I shoot in 1080 60i, with 60fps, my gain level never gets higher than three, and I always use a picture profile similar to what Doug Jensen recommends on his Mastering the Z7 DVD. I use manual focus 95% of the time with peaking on high, so I know my focus is spot on. My results provide superb picture quality!
David Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #108
Major Player

New Cameras

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...0-hvr-z5j.html
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #109
Obstreperous Rex

Please direct any replies to the thread linked above (it's our discussion in the News forum). Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #110
Regular Crew

Any HDV vs. HDMI (Blackmagic) captured footage..?

Can anyone point me towards any good comparisons of HDV captured and HDMI captured, with say a blackmagic intensity card, footage. Has anyone had experience of capturing from HDMI port and recommend this?

Cheers
Jon Oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #111
Tourist

sony Z7u in DC/MD/VA?

anyone in the DC/MD/VA area with a sony z7u willing to digitize 1 63 min tape (music video footage of women on the beaches of st. thomas) for me?...the hdv/minidv tape was mailed to me from the director who shot the footage w/ a sony z7u ...i'm having a hard time finding a deck that can play the footage...getting message that i need to change to correct format...assuming it's because it was shot in 1080p and most decks only play back in 1080i...able to pay $125

thanks in advance!

please contact me at ralston@globaleyes.us or just respond to this post and i will contact you...
i'm located in alexandria, va
Ralston Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Z7U AVI or Raw DV - That is the Question - AND MORE ?

I've just started using the Z7U camera with Avid Liquid and Liquid unlike most NLE's and when using multicamera/multisync, will not see the file data as DV like the DVX100B DV that we use with this camera. Anyone else have this issue?

To clarify, when we digitize our DVX100B material and also material tape material from a Z7U with it set to DV and NOT HDV, the Z7's file is invisible when we try to muticam-sync the two 100B's and the Z7 . . that is, until we fuse all three clips (transcode) (since Liquid will only work in multicam when all the clips are of the identical format) Weird. We didn't have this same problem with an HVX200/200A or an XH-A1. Any ideas?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help. BTW, we've also tried the CF unit with the same result but to date only as an AVI and haven't tried it as Raw DV setting.
Rodger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #113
New Boot

Sennheiser G2 kit on Z7

hi. just some quick advice on best configuration when hooking up the receiver to the xlr input

also.. has anyone tried hooping up the transmitter into an edirol r-09 to record live dancing music

cheers
Bobby Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Singh View Post
hi. just some quick advice on best configuration when hooking up the receiver to the xlr input

also.. has anyone tried hooping up the transmitter into an edirol r-09 to record live dancing music

cheers
The following works best for me (it might not be the best solution but it is how I am doing actually):

1. z7 xlr input switched to microphone
2. z7 xlr input wind and noise reduction off (I prefer recording the sound as pure as possible as the other things can be better done in post production)
3. g2 output gain on receiver to the lowest setting
4. z7 audio to manual and 10
5. g2 gain upped step by step until the levels are a bit higher than needed
6. z7 from now on, only change audio levels on comcorder

Also I generally record the sound from the on camcorder microphone to CH1 and from the G2 to CH2 as ambient sound can lot of times be of use.
David Arendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #115
New Boot

Z7U CF Card with AVID on MAC OSX

I know there is a Sony Clip Browser that can be used with the AVID on a mac osx -- but I think it only works with the XDCAM EX... Is there a way to get the sony clip browser to work with the Z7U Flash Cards? Similar to the way that final cut pro's batch & transfer option works?

Anyone know?
Max Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM   #116
New Boot

Audio Input

Is there a way to take an RCA audio signal and use that as the input with the Z7U?

Thanks.
Eugene Gekhter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM   #117
Major Player

Hi Eugene,

Yes, 2 ways. If you feed the RCA signal into a small mixer unit, and take the output via XLR cable into the Z7 (set mic to LINE).

Alternatively you could get a RCA to XLR cable and correct directly.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #118
Regular Crew

instant playback from Z7 CF Card

Hi,

I want to shoot ice hockey on a Z7 and display on a large screen live(not recording) and provide a facility for 10 second instant playback of key goals etc. I plan to use the cache feature, and press Run/Stop twice immediately after a goal. I then need to switch from camera to playback and then press Play on the CF unit to playback 10seconds+ to the screen. After the clip is complete, I will need to flip back to Camera mode to resume live shooting. This appears a little cumbersome compared to the EX1 system which can playback the last scene recorded whilst still in the Camera mode- it flips back to live images at the end of playback.

Do any of you guys know of a workaround for the Z7? can I playback whilst in camera mode? can I assign a button to do this, or is it requiring the CF Unit to do the playback? (the Z7 can do this if it is playing back the last scene from tape).
Paul Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #119
Regular Crew

Are Sony Z7 colour bars 75% or 100%?

I've got a broadcast monitor with a 75% or 100% switch for component input, if I am giving it a colour bar feed from a Z7 should it be set to 75% or 100%? Would this differ from a feed from Final Cut through a Blackmagic Intensity Pro component cable?
Jon Oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #120
Regular Crew

I found this: 75% for transmission, 100% for testing between equipment...? I'm still not sure which one...?
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Z7 / S270 various topics-palcolourbars.gif  
Jon Oneill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270