Sony Z7 / S270 various topics - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 31st, 2008, 08:51 AM   #121
Regular Crew

Capture Problems

I am currently using ClipWrap to ingest footage (onto my Mac using FCP) from my Z7U's CF card. This hasn't been a problem until I got on a shoot the other day and recorded more than 1 continuous hour of footage. It would appear the filesystem on the CF recording unit is FAT32, because the files are split up into 4GB increments.

What are others doing to overcome this issue? My workflow goal is to not have to capture in realtime (one of the reasons I switched to solid state in the first place).

If I Clipwrap this footage, I end up with multiple files (about 21 mins in length each) which have a very undesirable "skip" between the end of one clip and the start of another.

Additionally, using Clipwrap, the frist two frames of any footage I ingest is garbled.

I am just looking to see what others are doing to overcome this particular issue.

TIA!
Dennis St. John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM   #122
New Boot

ru_util.exe

Hi
This utility/plugin may help.

Digital HD Video Camera Recorder - Memory Recording Unit

Last edited by William J. Wirth; October 31st, 2008 at 11:16 AM.
William J. Wirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #123
Regular Crew

Audio output level HVRS 270

Has anyone found an adjustment for the standard firewire output level on this camera. When a colleague was editing a mix of my camera and a Z1 he said my output was set lower so just want to standardise everything.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #124
Regular Crew

TV Safe Area

I have a question for those of you with HD TV's and what it comprises with the new Z7s. I have bought two of these cameras and they are awesome, however, I used to have two PD-170Ps and they had a definate TV safe area that you couldn't mistake as part of the picture was hidden in the LCD. On the Z7P, it shows the entire picture with no overscan hidden on the LCD. So for instance when you are composing shots, you can easily cut someone's head off by shooting too close to the top of the frame. Does the full scan area show on a widescreen HD TV, say if it were on DVD or Blu Ray? Has anyone tested the results to see if TV safe is a product of older TV's? Why would Sony build a camera with no TV safe area?
Jamie Kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #125
Regular Crew

Hi There

you can add a safety zone in the menu. Basically a white line border on the LCD/viewfinder.

In the menu go to display set, then to marker. From there go to safety zone where you can select your safe area. After looking at a TV with the cam plugged in, 90% seems to the best setting.

Once you have done all this, the white border will appear in the viewfinder. Everything in it will be displayed on a TV set, everything outside it will not. A find it a fairly useful feature as when I view DVDs on my computer it shows everything that you would see in the viewfinder TV safe and otherwise. I should mention that my TV is a 16:9 SD set. Couldn't comment on HDTVs.

I'm also quite used to it as when I first started out all the broadcast cams I used had exactly the same way of doing things.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited by Jon Robertson; November 19th, 2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: missing info
Jon Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #126
Regular Crew

Which colour / gamma settings give the best image for, colour correction?

I don't care if the image looks flat in camera, I'm just looking for the cameras highest dynamic range, best knee settings, blacks etc.

Are x.v colour, ITU-r 709 any use?
Jon Oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM   #127
Contributor

Cache Recording w/Z7U

I recently tried using the cache recording feature on the Z7 and it works just fine on the camera memory unit, recording up to 14 seconds and then saving to memory card once I hit the record button on the camera (which is simultaneously recording tape). When I play back the file on the recording unit, I see one file, seamless, looks great.

When I download the files to my PC from the Sony memory unit, I use the official Sony Recording Unit Utility software. I use this software because I edit with Adobe Premiere Pro and the Sony software stitches together all the files that are longer than 4G (about 21 minutes) so they are seamless. Great feature for longer format recording. I assumed this software also stitched together all the little cache files as well (to the respective file that followed), especially after they played back seamless on the memory unit. Turns out I was wrong.

When I put the cache files on my timeline (which didn't get stitched) adjacent to the file that follows, there is a big jump cut (loss of more than just a few frames), so I can't even use the cache files even if I wanted to. Let me know if there is a way for me to use the cache method on the Z7 and stitch these files, just the way I do with the much longer files mentioned above. Thanks.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM   #128
Major Player

Time and date through outputs on Z7

Is it possible to send the time and date info through the component or composite out on the Z7 without the REC/STDBY indicator also being sent?
I want to record live to an external DVD recorder and have the date and time on my image, with no other data.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #129
Major Player

lens options for Z5

Has anyone used this lens with a z5 or z7? Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 Telephoto Lens SAL-135F18Z. If so could you respond with Pros and cons of this lens compaired tot he stock lens. I need to know the differences in lowlight, closeup, distance, and especially quality. Also is there any vignetting at full wide? THX for the help.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #130
Major Player

Sorry meant the Z7 or EX3 not the z5. My bad.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM   #131
Contributor

After more testing tonight, here is what I discovered:

1. Cache recording works fine (seamless video), if I just use the CF card to record. Meaning, don't use mini DV tape at all in transport mechanism.

2. Cache recording works fine (again, seamless video) when recording in DV format, using both CF card and mini DV tape in transport mechanism.

3. Cache recording does not work, if I record in HDV format with both CF card and mini DV tape in transport mechanism (results in 2 files that don't edit seamlessly).

I thought at first that perhaps my CF cards weren't fast enough, but then I tried using the Sony 8 gig, 306X speed card. The HDV files were still broken between the Cache file and the following adjacent file (the video file that went down on both tape and CF). Joining these 2 files in Premiere Pro results in missing frames between the files.

Has anyone else had success with seamless Cache recording, while also shooting on tape?
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh View Post
Is it possible to send the time and date info through the component or composite out on the Z7 without the REC/STDBY indicator also being sent?
I want to record live to an external DVD recorder and have the date and time on my image, with no other data.
If anyone is interested I found a way to do this. It works if you do not have a tape in the camera. You can record to the CF and output the date and time to composite. As soon as you put a tape in the camera the REC/STDBY indicator appears in the LCD and it is also sent to the composite out.

Don't know if anyone besides me will ever need to do this, maybe the legal deposition guys can use this info.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #133
Regular Crew

Rolling Shutter Fix?

Can anyone confirm any changes to the current Z7 and S270 models (as of Dec 08). I have heard a few rumors that Sony was going to work on the rolling shutter issue on the S270. I have a few emails into Sony but havent received a response yet. I don't want to buy the camera and have to send it back and jump through all the hoops to get it working right.
Ryan McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #134
Regular Crew

All CMOS chip cameras (i.e.: Z7, EX1, RED) will have rolling shutter because of the lack of a global shutter. Its a question of how fast the chips refresh rates are that will determine of how much rolling shutter you will have.
Ryan Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #135
Major Player

Help needed. What am I doing wrong?

I just recently got a Z7. I love this camera.

Up to this point, everything I have shot was on CF cards. The camera had never even had a tape in it. Until today. I met with a helicopter pilot at sunrise to shoot some footage. We get airborne on schedule and everything looked good until I pressed record and nothing happened. It showed a good cam link. Everything looked exactly as it should. In near panic mode, I tried to quickly check the menus, connections,battery, everything on the camera and MR1. But we were wasting time and fuel and the still photographer was sitting on the ground while I was up sight seeing. When I got down, I got the manual. Tried to check everything I could think of but no luck. I changed all of the ext., synchro. and relay settings. Nada. The only way I could get it to work was to put a tape in and put it on synchro record and then both would record. Since I have been back, I have been looking at the owners manual for both units and I still haven't been able to figure it out. HELP. Please. What did I do wrong?
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270