DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Images of HVR-Z7U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/108421-images-hvr-z7u.html)

Alexander Ibrahim November 20th, 2007 02:28 PM

Images of HVR-Z7U

6 Attachment(s)
I took some pictures of the Z7U at GV Expo 2007. This was a working unit, with all functions I tested enabled.

I also uploaded some images in the "Flash vs SxS thread" here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....32&postcount=6

The images are scaled, but not retouched.

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2007 03:30 PM

Well done. Many thanks for sharing these with us,

Carl Middleton November 20th, 2007 03:49 PM

There's a few things that seem to jump out at me here....

Is that slot for a memory stick pro duo card for still pictures or something equally silly on the right hand top side??

Is that a mount for a recorder or LCD towards the back on the top, right in front of the viewfinder?

Is there no longer an internal mic? That thing is sooo handy when dropped in a situation where you have to get a camera rolling ASAP or miss footage. Saved me more than once in a pinch, tho the quality was rather, erm, noisy.

I notice on the shot transition panel, they refer to it as "Shot Transition/Focus Marking". Any clue what they reference with Focus Marking?

Am I blind... or where do you control aperture? :D

Did they remove the lock feature? On the Z1 there is Auto, Manual, and Lock. On the Z7, only Auto and Manual. Mind you, I never used the Lock setting, only full manual, so I can't really complain. :)

One last thing.... I love how they refer to it as a "HDV 1080i PROGRESSIVE" camera. Priceless amounts of confusion for the unknowing masses. =D

Thanks for the pictures! Look forward to really examining this camera sometime in the future. I love my Z1 (cleaned the heck out of it with q-tips yesterday, if that says anything =D ).

Carl

Barry Richard November 20th, 2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Middleton (Post 778839)
There's a few things that seem to jump out at me here....

Is that slot for a memory stick pro duo card for still pictures or something equally silly on the right hand top side??...

Am I blind... or where do you control aperture? :D...

the memory stick is for camera settings retention/transfer etc.

the lens has an iris ring

Alexander Ibrahim November 20th, 2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Middleton (Post 778839)
Is that slot for a memory stick pro duo card for still pictures or something equally silly on the right hand top side??

Setup information, as noted by Barry Richard.

Quote:

Is that a mount for a recorder or LCD towards the back on the top, right in front of the viewfinder?
Yes. I think its sturdy enough to take an arm though. Also I don't think the viewfinder tilts up enough to get in the way of many accessories.

Quote:

Is there no longer an internal mic? That thing is sooo handy when dropped in a situation where you have to get a camera rolling ASAP or miss footage. Saved me more than once in a pinch, tho the quality was rather, erm, noisy.
There is an internal mic, right under the accessory shoe on the front of the camera, like most Sony cams. It is more enclosed than what we are used to, and though I couldn't test it, I expect even worse quality sound from it.

Quote:

I notice on the shot transition panel, they refer to it as "Shot Transition/Focus Marking". Any clue what they reference with Focus Marking?
I think they mean "focus preset." i.e. You can make the camera remember a few focus positions. My understanding is that it records the entire lens state, zoom, focus and aperture, and then transitions between them for you.

Quote:

Am I blind... or where do you control aperture? :D
There is an iris ring on the lens, again as Barry said. You can see it in the "side" view of the camera. It is a free spinning control with no stops, and there are no markings.

The lens is the same one mounted on the S270, you can see it best on images I uploaded to the S270 images thread. Try this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...5&d=1195590890

Quote:

Did they remove the lock feature? On the Z1 there is Auto, Manual, and Lock. On the Z7, only Auto and Manual. Mind you, I never used the Lock setting, only full manual, so I can't really complain. :)
I am not a Z1 user. Also these are prototypes, and things may still change.

Thusly qualified, it appears the answer is yes.

Quote:

One last thing.... I love how they refer to it as a "HDV 1080i PROGRESSIVE" camera. Priceless amounts of confusion for the unknowing masses. =D
Yep.

I hope they fix that before the camera ships. I don't look forward to explaining that to clients. I can hear it now, "But it says so right on the camera!"

Quote:

Thanks for the pictures!l
If you follow my ranting and raving elsewhere, you know this isn't the camera for me... I took the pictures just for all of you.

Well either that or for the vanity of having an excuse to start a thread or two! ;)

You are all most welcome of course. I hope it helps some of you make equipment decisions.

Ray Bell November 20th, 2007 05:11 PM

Thanks for the pictures....

Looks like they brought back the LANC controller input too....

Could end up being a nice underwater camera....