Images of HVR-S270U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Images of HVR-S270U

These are images I took at GV Expo 2007.

The camera here is fully armed and operational.

All of these images are scaled, and possibly cropped.

I painted over my hand in one image with medium opacity, and clone stamped out a fingerprint of mine.

In other words, I tried to keep the images true to what I saw, and protect the innocent.
Attached Thumbnails
Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1298.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1297.jpg  

Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1291.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1294.jpg  

Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1293.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1292.jpg  

Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1295.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1296.jpg  

Old November 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Some more images

Same caveats as the first post in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1299.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1300.jpg  

Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1301.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1302.jpg  

Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1303.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1306.jpg  

Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1307.jpg   Images of HVR-S270U-cimg1308.jpg  

Old November 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Alexander.
What is your impression of the build quality of the 270?
I noticed that there was a time code in/output, did you happen to notice if there was a similarI/O on Z7? I'm thinking probably not.

And finally, on the 270 was it lightweight enough to only have one attchment point on the tripod, or do you think it would be wiser to use a full legnth tripod adaptor (if they even sell one) for safety sake?

Thanks again for taking the time to post these pictures,

Cheers.
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Great stuff -- exactly the sort of thing we're looking for on DV Info Net. Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
Thanks Alexander.
You are all most welcome.

Quote:
What is your impression of the build quality of the 270?
If you are asking how durable the camera is, I thought it was solid.

I wouldn't recommend using it to subdue criminals, but it should serve in normal use for a long while.

I can't say I really thought about using it under extreme conditions, or even under heavy ENG use. Thinking back though I think it would deal well.

If you are asking about the "fit and finish" of the camera, it was exactly as I'd expect from a shoulder mount camera. Probably superior to the DSR it replaces, and definitely nicer than the old JVC DV500's.

I did not like the feel of the controls on the Zeiss lenses. The rings felt like they were stuck in molasses to me. Not as nice as the feel of the lenses shipped with the JVC ProHD cams, the EX1 or the HVX200. I had a little trouble doing snap zooms using the ring.

That said, the controls were reliable, predictable and repeatable. A huge step up from most lenses we are accustomed to in this price range.

By the way, you switch between auto and manual focus just like on the EX1, by pulling the focus ring towards the rear of the camera for manual, and pushing it forward for auto.

The glass was great for the price though. Still, I'd plan on replacing the lens for serious use.

Quote:
I noticed that there was a time code in/output, did you happen to notice if there was a similarI/O on Z7? I'm thinking probably not.
Nope definitely no TC on the Z7. Since its missing on the EX1 as well I guess Sony thinks thats a feature to be reserved for higher price points.

Quote:
And finally, on the 270 was it lightweight enough to only have one attchment point on the tripod, or do you think it would be wiser to use a full legnth tripod adaptor (if they even sell one) for safety sake?
Well, full disclosure: Sony had it on a single screw, and the camera was spinning around on the sticks.

That said, I thought it was light enough to secure with a single screw. I figure either someone partly unscrewed the plate or there was something wrong with the head/plate..

If I had to buy a new head or plates to use two or more screws, then I'd hold off until I could test it more thoroughly. If your current setup supports multiple screws then I'd use them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270