crop factor with SLr lenses? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks, Mel for that very detailed and helpful explanation.

Here's what's still not clear to me. Sony announces that if you use a lens designed for a DSLR-Alpha on the Z7, you get a "crop-factor" (which I believe is a more accurate term than "multiplier") of 7x. We know that the DSLR-Alpha series uses a sensor that is smaller than 35mm. So, it seems that if (assuming an appropriate adapter exists) you attach an SLR lens designed for 35mm still film, you will get a "crop-factor" greater than 7x.

Or is there something I'm still missing?
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #17
New Boot

a focal length is a focal length

Well, the size of the film or digital sensor does not matter. A fifty millimeter lens is a fifty millimeter lens. The lens is, in fact, is designed with an image circle to cover a specific size sensor. But all this means is that only the center, the best part, of the image circle of a 35mm lens is used with a 1/3 inch sensor.

It is the ratio of the angle that the diagonal measurement of the sensor subtends compared to the larger angle subtended by the larger sensor that is referred to as "crop factor" when a lens that is designed for a larger sensor is used on a smaller sensor.

To say this in another way, if you were to scribe box the size of a 1/3 inch sensor in the center of a 35mm slide, that would be the part of the image the 1/3 inch sensor would see with the 35mm lens.
Jack Markham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Yes. I understand that you are simply cropping out the center of the image, not changing the magnification of the lens.

All of which comes back to my original point. Setting aside the mechanics of how it works, the question is this:

According to the Sony literature, if you put a 50mm DSLR-Alpha lens on a Z7, you get the equivalent field of view that you would get if you put a 350mm DSLR-alpha lens on a DSLR-alpha camera.

So, what field of view do you get if you put a 50mm 35mm SLR lens on a Z7?

1. DSLR-a lens designed for APS-C sensor on a 1/3" CMOS sensor = 7x crop factor.

2. Film SLR lens designed for a 35mm film frame on a 1/3" CMOS sensor = ? (I'm thinking it should be around 10x. Am I right?)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270