Z7 body only / mix 'n' match? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I think the EX and the Z7 are going to appeal to completely different types of shooters. Sure, if you are shooting indies, music vids, or big commercials, go for the EX, bigger chips, better codec, etc.

However if you are like me, shooting lots of ENG, corporate and broadcast work for lots of different clients, in both SD and HD, the EX isn't an option. At the end of the day, the vast majority of my clients need a tape handed to the field producer to be edited right away. Sure, occasionally I might be able to go tapeless, but not enough to justify a rig that can't go that route. I wouldn't be able to work it enough to pay it off, so the z7 or the s270 are perfect for me.
Colin McAuliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
You're absolutely right, of course. I'm just speculating (and that's really all it is at this point) that the Z7 is priced uncomfortably close to the EX1. I expect most of the market at which the Z7 is aimed will choose the EX1, because of its superior codec and imagers.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, others will stay away, like I will, until Sony is forced to drop the price.
The price difference grows considerably when you factor in the additional costs of SxS media, editing upgrades, batteries, replacements for lanc controllers, archiving media etc.

The Z7 is targeted at HDV users moving towards tapeless ingestion at a low cost whilst retaining tape archive without additional time (hurrah!), whereas the EX1, whilst at first glance appealing to HDV upgraders, is I suspect really aimed at providing a new highly portable format and form factor to the XDCam user base.
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It would be great if you could specify which lens the camera comes with - standard or wide - but I suspect it ain't going to happen. Does anyone have any of what the price for the wide lens will be?
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270