Z7U or EX1...tough decision. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #31
Major Player

Z7 for weddings my best bet cant wait for the release
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #32
Regular Crew

You stated exactly how I feel Gabriel. Too bad this is the current situation.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #33
Major Player

Long live tape!
Uh, until something better comes along. To be better it would have to be at least as inexpensive to buy and hold at least the same amount of data.

None of the new acquisition formats seem to be able to do that. So, looks like tape is going to be with us for a wile.

(Disclaimer-
I could be wrong, have been wrong in the past, and may be wrong again.)
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #34
Major Player

I only wish that the Z7, when recording to CF, had some kind of benefit over tape. It will be nice to make a "highlight" or "trailer" type video for the bride shortly after the wedding. That is something that we have always wanted to do, but dumping 60 gigs of tape wasn't the quick and easy option I was looking for.
I just booked my trip to the NAB in April, but I will probably buy my new cameras before then. Do we have any good guestimates on release dates for the Z7?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
I only wish that the Z7, when recording to CF, had some kind of benefit over tape.
In this thread, somebody related to the Sony stand at the recent UK Broadcast show stated that Sony will have an update to the XDCAM software (and I speak here as a Mac/FCP user - sorry I can't confirm/deny the PC side of things) that enables you to browse the individual clips on a CF card, select the ones you want, then press a button to hoof the selects up to your hard drive for editing.

Having tried this software with SxS and the EX-1 (albeit mucking around on site with a demo unit whilst ingesting plain DV tapes from a deck), I can attest that it's a joy - an absolute joy.

Another benefit of CF: There's 32GB versions just beginning to hit the shelves. Just a whisker under 2.5 hours per card.

I still can't seem to nail the following snippet down, but have heard rumour of a 'rolling record' function to CF, so each time a shot starts, it includes the previous seven seconds. So having the tape rolling whilst waiting for something to happen or to catch a candid gesture or smile? Nahh. That's going to save miles of tape from the get-go.

Know that kind of awful rush you get changing tapes when something overruns? How the most crucial things can happen as soon as the cassette door pops open? You can record to CF whilst changing tape, or record to tape when recording to CF.

Quote:
Do we have any good guestimates on release dates for the Z7?
I've heard Feb 18th in the UK.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Chiefetz View Post
For me, the Z7 is the only realistic option, because I knock out 2,3,4, or even 5 tapes in a shoot (documentary). And I can't drag a laptop around everywhere to offload. I imagine that for many this is the case. Until the price point on SxS cards changes significantly, the EX will be an interesting novelty, but basically unusable.
A little bit strong! As many people, including myself are using the EX1 for all sorts of commercial projects, including docos. But I agree there will always be jobs when I couldn't take a laptop to dump. If that was the case then it would be the Z7 for me.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #37
Major Player

I decided to attend NAB this year in order to get some "hands on" with whatever new cameras I decide to buy (wedding videography). The sad part is that I will have probably purchased the cameras before April rolls around.
The EX1 just seems like an awesome camera all around (other than expensive SxS cards). My only problem with it is storing the video. We shoot anywhere from 60-80 weddings a year and our average return time is 6 months. What are the best storage methods for using the EX1 right now? Blu Ray? Massive RAID 10? I can understand if a tape fails from time to time, but if a HD goes down, I've got a lot of phone calls to make.
As for the Z7, I need a reviewer to tell me that it isn't just an FX-1 with CF card capabilities. Do we have any info on low-light?

Thanks,

Chad
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Sony's info on the Z7's low light capability puts it a 1.5 lux Chad, or the same as the PD150. Now that's really something for a 1"/3 chipped HDV camcorder, so I looked deeper into the spec sheet.

Ah, they've given themselves a one-stop advantage by doing the test at 1/25th sec rather than the default. If you're going to cheat, why not measure it at 1/3rd sec and be done with it?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #39
Trustee

from my limited hands on z7 I found it much better in low light than the z1. As good as pd150? Hard to say, close but not quite. The ex1 is the best I have come across for low light
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
I decided to attend NAB this year in order to get some "hands on" with whatever new cameras I decide to buy (wedding videography). The sad part is that I will have probably purchased the cameras before April rolls around.
The EX1 just seems like an awesome camera all around (other than expensive SxS cards). My only problem with it is storing the video. We shoot anywhere from 60-80 weddings a year and our average return time is 6 months. What are the best storage methods for using the EX1 right now? Blu Ray? Massive RAID 10? I can understand if a tape fails from time to time, but if a HD goes down, I've got a lot of phone calls to make.
As for the Z7, I need a reviewer to tell me that it isn't just an FX-1 with CF card capabilities. Do we have any info on low-light?

Thanks,

Chad
G'day chad.

I spent a good 2 hours with a demo model the other day and i can assure you it is NOT the FX-1 with CF capabilities.

I've been doing weddings for 6 years now and i still use my PD170 cause it's the ultimate camera. But with High Def now becoming more and more popular i have little choice but to upgrade. I was never really happy with the Z1 (apart from the design and placement of the LCD Screen) so i've just been awaiting something better. The EX-1 is cool, but i would like a dual format rather than just card itself.

I tested the Z7 in low light and it was as good as the PD170. Far superior to the Z1 and even better than the EX-1 (or around the same).

Anyway. I cannot wait to get my hands on one. And the 'instant highlight' reel that you wish to make for your bride could well be a possibility with the CF cards.

P.S. On a side note, i was in N.O for 2 weeks late last year. AWESOME CITY. Cannot wait to go back. :-)
GO SAINTS!!!!!!
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
A little bit strong! As many people, including myself are using the EX1 for all sorts of commercial projects, including docos. But I agree there will always be jobs when I couldn't take a laptop to dump. If that was the case then it would be the Z7 for me.
I really do wish the EX1 fit my needs, as a doc shooter. The images you've created with it look fantastic (thanks by the way!). But the mantra "tape is cheap" is key to how I approach most shooting situations. I simply can't afford to skimp on shooting, because so much stuff in a doc happens when I'm least expecting it, and barely have the camera pointed in the right direction. The limitations of SxS (or P2) would encourage me to put the camera down to save media space, which is something I don't want to encourage.

That said, a lot of these issues with the EX1 would disappear if one were to sink US$5k or so into SxS cards, so it's partially a budget issue. When you take budget into account, the Z7 looks very attractive for doc work.

Maybe the EX1 would be good for a documentary on chipmunks, dragonflies, or other brief, speedy subjects. ;)
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #42
Major Player

Ryan,

I'm glad to hear that the low-light capabilities are better than the FX-1. My previous set were VX2100's and and it took a while to get the hang of the FX-1's. We also own a pair of the Canon XH-A1's, but I haven't been that impressed with the camera so far. I'll probably end up selling them when I get the new cameras.
Hopefully one of the review sites will get their hands on one of these and put up some test results for us. Until then, we can all keep crossing our fingers.
Next time your in New Orleans, let me know and I'll bring you to one of our weddings. I promise its like nothing you have seen before :)

Thanks,

Chad Dyle
www.chaddyle.com
www.chaddyleproductions.com
www.babydyle.com
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #43
Regular Crew

To, me any way, The z7u is just an upgraded z1, while the ex1 is a squished F350. If you can live with it's short comings, the image is worth it. As for recording times, does any body know if a firestore will work with the Ex1?
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #44
Inner Circle

I feel you're showing your wishful thing there Ryan when you say, 'I tested the Z7 in low light and it was as good as the PD170. Far superior to the Z1 and even better than the EX-1 (or around the same).'

Even Sony don't go that far. They listed the PD150 as 1.5 lux (the PD170 as 1 lux), and the Z7 as 1.5 lux - but at 1/25th sec shutter speed as I said. Of course the Z7's amplifiers will be quieter than the PD170s which will help you in the gain levels.

The EX1 has chips (at 30.72 sq mm) that are just under twice the surface area of the Z7's chips (17.28 sq mm), so each pixel will easily take in far more light. They're both CMOS of course.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Chiefetz View Post
I simply can't afford to skimp on shooting, because so much stuff in a doc happens when I'm least expecting it, and barely have the camera pointed in the right direction.
@ Gabriel - would a rolling record function make you feel better about solid state recording over yards and yards of tape of 'not very much happening'?

@ Mr Bloom - during your close proximity to Sony recently, do you happen to know if the Z7 & CF recorder have rolling record function? I know the EX-1 doesn't have this at present, but that it does have internal memory, so conceivably could do so in the future...
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270