Any one Recieved their Z7 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #31
Major Player

I was playing around with the camera in the French Quarter today. Here is a quick clip:

http://www.chaddyleproductions.com/2.../Cathedral.m2t
1080i

I've got a nice one of a ferry on the MS River, but its huge.

I'm still trying to figure out if I like the way you switch from auto focus to manual. You have to grab the ring and push or pull it. You can't do it without rocking the camera.
I didn't notice any focus issues at all in the sunlight.
The screen is high-res. The only problem is the glossy screen gets dirty fast and glares like a champ. I have a Hoodman that I used on my FX-1, but it didn't fit the Z7U as well.
My CF card just came in and I'm trying to figure out how it works. Can you record to CF only?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #32
Major Player

Mixing clips!

Am I going to run into any problems if I mix the 30p from my Z7U with the 60i from my FX-1? The FX-1 is only used as a cut to camera for weddings.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
Am I going to run into any problems if I mix the 30p from my Z7U with the 60i from my FX-1? The FX-1 is only used as a cut to camera for weddings.
You will not run into any problems if you are using SONY Vegas
the Wedding Demo on my site was HVR-V1U 30P & HDR-FX1 60I Footage I rendered the time line out to 30p.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #34
New Boot

Yep - you can record to CF only:

1. Select the iLink output - either HDV->DV on or off (downconversion), then choose squeeze or edge crop if downconversion is "on."

2. Then, underneath select external control only (EXT ONLY).

The camera won't roll the tape - just the card.

Playback from the card recorder is clumsy at best - it doesn't 'roll' cleanly like tape - it hangs at each clip break. Also, it's not frame-accurate with the tape (if you record together). There's a one to three second mismatch on startup or stop, but once the card/tape roll together - they're in TC and time sync.

One small annoyance: the camera disables its 'expanded focus' option if the camera is connected to an external recorder, such as the clip-on CF recorder.

I can't understand what one has to do with the other...but oh well.
Eric Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #35
Major Player

Eric,

Thanks for the help! Another question on the CF recorder. If I'm recording something to tape, can I selective activate the CF recorder? As an example, if I'm shooting a wedding to tape, I'd like to cap the bride walking in, vows and a few other scenes to the card. That way I can put something together very quickly. Is that possible or am I hoping to much?
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #36
New Boot

It appears you can - either in real-time or later, from the tape.

There's a button on the CF recorder that says "CAM LINK" - and if it's on - and the little icon above shows in the display, the CF rolls with the start and stop of the camera.

You can also disable the CAM LINK and hit record and stop manually. You can do this while the camera is live, or later when playing back tape. Kind of interesting.

The only thing I haven't tried is dubbing from the card back to the tape - but it appears it's possible.
Eric Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #37
Major Player

Strange: all the 30p clips posted are flagged like 60i.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Brian,

Which 32 GB card did you order? I picked up (delivering today) the Tanscend 32GB card from Newegg.
did you test the card yet? I was a bit worried because the price is so low, but being 133x it should work...
Jordan Oplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #39
Major Player

I'll have to check out the clips when I get home. The first 2 should have been 30p, the last one should be 60i. Did anyone else notice the stuttering effect when using 30p? I'm wondering if it could have been the lighting in my room. I've never noticed it on any of the other cameras.

Two new questions:

1) The camera came with a nice Sony DVCAM tape. Should I be using these or will the $3 Sony branded tapes I get from BH be enough?

2) Can anyone suggest a good bag? I'm using two Sony branded bags that allow me to attach the tripods to their tops. That makes running from a ceremony to a reception much easier. I purchased at Kata bag that I also really like, but it doesn't allow me to attach a tripod. I'd just like to know which brands/models you guys use/like.

Thanks again!
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #40
Regular Crew

CMOS on stuttering effect using still camera Flash!!! Not sure any 1 test it out?
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Your a bastard Chad............... I miss the French Quater terribly. Man. So Jelous.

If you ever need a secondary cameraman, let me know! :-)
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
I'd just like to know which brands/models you guys use/like
The Petrol 'Wings' bag has seen great service for the last couple of years with a pretty full Z1 kit. It has loops for a lightweight tripod or monopod, though I don't use it (Miller/Sachtler lives in separate shoulder slung bag).

May get another for the Z7 (or EX-1). Lens adaptors, radio mics, LANC controllers, bits and bobs all have their place, though a Matte Box or extra lens would be an issue.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #43
Major Player

The card seemed to work fine. I shot some inside footage. It didn't look great because I really didn't setup the camera very well. But it did capture to the card very well. The 32 GB card said 140 minutes of recording time was available.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #44
Major Player

I just got mine this afternoon. It looks really nice. So far I'm not having any luck recording to CF card. How do you set it up? I have it assigned for "remote" and the empty tape icon went away, but it's still not recording. I'm sure I am missing something simple.

Edit: I can record fine to both the card and tape at once, so I know the card is compatible. I'm just not having any luck recording to just the card.

Edit: OK, I got it working. There was a setting on the card unit that was wrong.

Last edited by Laurence Kingston; February 21st, 2008 at 01:09 AM.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM   #45
New Boot

is it possible to do a comparison in low light with VX2000-2100 / PD150-170?

really curious about the result.
Damon Lim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270