DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Any one Recieved their Z7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/114921-any-one-recieved-their-z7.html)

Brian Rhodes February 15th, 2008 01:49 PM

Any one Recieved their Z7

Picked my cam up today from tape works I will try to post some clips tonite(Compare my XDCAM EX with the Z7u.

Laurence Kingston February 15th, 2008 01:54 PM

You have both an EX1 and a Z7! That's totally unfair! Kind of like getting to keep both the blonde and brunette girlfriends...

Boy am I curious as to how these two cameras compare.

Gabriel Chiefetz February 15th, 2008 07:56 PM

Can't wait to see some footage!

C.S. Michael February 15th, 2008 09:43 PM

Looking forward to clips, impressions, pics, etc. You will find an eager audience here!

Oki Russell February 16th, 2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes (Post 826934)
Picked my cam up today from tape works I will try to post some clips tonite(Compare my XDCAM EX with the Z7u.

Waiting for your comment with great impatience. I am interested in particular, how both cameras shoot in progressive mode.

Did you notice excessive noise from EX1 (according to Sony specs its S/N level is 54dB only)?

Also, can you post freeze frames from both cameras, please.

Tim Lenz February 16th, 2008 10:43 AM

Brian, I am going back and forth trying to decide to buy either the EX1 or Z7. I am anxious to learn your findings. I have huntches, but will await your post.

Chad Dyle February 16th, 2008 01:38 PM

I bought one from Scott at Tapeworks and paid for Saturday shipping. Scott sent me the tracking number, but it hasn't arrive yet. I called UPS and they said it should arrive by noon (currently 1:15).
I have a wedding to shoot tonight and would like to play around with the camera. If anything happens, I'll post some raw footage tomorrow. Just don't laugh ;)

-Chad

Chad Dyle February 17th, 2008 11:46 AM

I shot pieces of a wedding with the camera last night (Z7U). I'm currently using a pair of FX-1's and I really like the Auto/Manual functions. I know this camera is much more toward the pro end of the spectrum though. Again, I'm not pro by any stretch, so anything I say is coming from a very basic knowledge. I also held the Z7U next to the FX-1 when shooting some of the wedding last night. I'll see if I can dump the other tape to compare.
There seemed to be some focus issues on the Z7 that I didn't have the the FX-1.
I used the 30p mode and noticed a lot of flickering. I adjusted the Shutter Speed, but that didn't seem to help.
It still has the wait to start recording sometimes. I was hoping that would have been fixed. I read somewhere that it is "slightly better", but I didn't notice it.
Low-light is much better. When shooting some altar stuff, both cameras were setup the same and zoomed in. The Iris on the fx-1 was over 3.0 while the Z7 was at 2.0.
The camera feels really good in the hand. Its mostly lens. I had a total of 45 minutes to get the camera out of the box before I had to leave for my first wedding. My overall experience was good and I'm excited about the camera. This is the opposite of my Canon XH-A1 experience. The weddings we shoot down here are pretty fast and we don't have much time to setup things. The Canon seemed like a much more manual camera to me.
Well, this is just my 2 cents and I doubt anyone will get overly excited. I'll try to post some video later.

Laurence Kingston February 17th, 2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 827899)
I shot pieces of a wedding
Well, this is just my 2 cents and I doubt anyone will get overly excited. I'll try to post some video later.

You doubt anyone will get overly excited! I'm jumping around the room here!

David Heath February 17th, 2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oki Russell (Post 827283)
Did you notice excessive noise from EX1 (according to Sony specs its S/N level is 54dB only)?

I'm surprised you say "54dB only". That's normally considered a good figure, even in the pro market, and the reports that gain can be used on the EX without noise becoming too objectionable also seem to indicate it's noise figure is good. I assume we are talking about video S/N, not audio!?

Laurence Kingston February 17th, 2008 11:52 AM

The flickering would be from using 30p under fluorescent lighting I would guess.

I've been thinking about using a mix of 30p and 60i that would be flagged as 60i on the final Blu-ray and DVD discs. That way you could get the sharpness of progressive on interview and other tripod shots, and yet have the smoothness of 60i on handheld material and anything lit with fluorescents.

Chad Dyle February 17th, 2008 01:04 PM

What should I upload the footage for you guys to view as?
The flickering during 30p was inside my office with standard bulbs. It also did it in a darker area of the church. I was moving the camera across some prayer candles and noticed it. I was getting busy, so I just switched back to 60i and turned the camera to complete auto.

Scott Hayes February 17th, 2008 03:01 PM

LCD quality

how is the LCD compared to the FX and Z1? i find even when focused,
i cant tell if the camera is focused or not. Is back focusing still an issue
with the stock lens?

Chad Dyle February 17th, 2008 03:37 PM

The LCD is beautiful! It has the glossy screen that you sometimes see on laptops. I was wondering if it would glare or not, but I couldn't tell because I was inside all night.
When I would zoom into a crowd, the camera would try to focus on something just past them. I was shooting a crowd of people and it would jump focus between them. The lighting wasn't that great and I was zooming.

Both of these shots were used without a light on the camera. The camera was set to Auto.

http://www.chaddyleproductions.com/2008/test/Candle.m2t

http://www.chaddyleproductions.com/2008/test/Statue.m2t

Scott Hayes February 17th, 2008 03:39 PM

nice going Sony

still haven't improved teh AF system yet, combined with rolling shutter
issues, not so sure its worth upgrading. Were those shot in progressive or 60i?
shit man, they look CLEAN!