DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Z7U error! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/116084-z7u-error.html)

Chad Dyle March 1st, 2008 01:19 AM

Z7U error!

I was using the Z7U tonight at a wedding. Its the first time its been used as a main cam (less than 10 hours on the camera). In the middle of the Reception, it started blinking an E:62:12 error. From searching through the web, I found that its a Steadyshot error. Also, errors with a "C" apparently can be fixed by the consumer, but errors with an "E" need to be brought in for service.
Has anyone else seen this? I'm hoping I can just send the camera back. I'd hate to have a camera for 2 weeks and have to send it off to the shop. Not to mention that I have 3 weddings next Saturday. I'll keep you all posted if I find out anything else on the error.

George Sickler March 1st, 2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 835656)
I was using the Z7U tonight at a wedding. Its the first time its been used as a main cam (less than 10 hours on the camera). In the middle of the Reception, it started blinking an E:62:12 error. From searching through the web, I found that its a Steadyshot error. Also, errors with a "C" apparently can be fixed by the consumer, but errors with an "E" need to be brought in for service.
Has anyone else seen this? I'm hoping I can just send the camera back. I'd hate to have a camera for 2 weeks and have to send it off to the shop. Not to mention that I have 3 weddings next Saturday. I'll keep you all posted if I find out anything else on the error.

Yikes! I am shooting a wedding tomorrow with it. Please let us know what happens! and what Sony or your Dealer says.

George

Chad Dyle March 1st, 2008 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached an image and a quick video of what is being captured. Notice the how the camera now can see the lens cap on the right and bottom? Its the exact opposite when the camera turns on and then it jumps.

The video is at: www.chaddyleproductions.com/2008/Untitled.mpg

Matt Davis March 1st, 2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 835762)
I've attached an image and a quick video of what is being captured.

I've never known a Z series camera 'see' the lens hood at its widest zoom setting. Also, having seen some jedi-style image shifting by OIS when I accidentally vignetted a shot using a 1.6x extender, I'd say that in your movie, OIS isn't 'on'. It's almost as if the entire lens axis is off to the bottom right.

It has all the hallmarks of a 'return to home base' to me.

Chad Dyle March 1st, 2008 02:59 PM

I've tried turning OIS on/off and all of the other possible options. I even took the lens hood off, but I could still see a corner of the lens. Something is out of what (sorry for the technical term).
I've emailed Scott over at TapeWorks Texas. I'm hoping we can just swap it out. I really don't want to have to send it to a repair shop this early in the game. I'm hoping there is a "bad lemon" clause or something.

But, after using it last night, while it worked, I have to say that I can see a real difference between it and the FX-1. Its low-light capabilities are obvious. I was at St. Louis Cathedral again last night and since its a church we shoot at regularly, I'm pretty much use to the FX-1's in that environment. The Z7U did a great job by allowing me to zoom in at still hold the Iris at 1.6 to 1.8. I still have some focus issues every once in a while, but thats about it.

Another cool thing was that I think I had a defective Sony DV tape. About 10 minutes into the Ceremony, the tape light starts blinking to let me know I have 5 minutes left. Right before the tape ran out, I turned the CF card on while I swapped tapes.

Ethan Cooper March 2nd, 2008 09:11 AM

Chad,
Good use of the card recorder thing-a-mabob. Sorry to hear of your camera's problem, keep us posted.

Ethan Cooper March 5th, 2008 10:07 AM

Chad,
Whatever became of this problem?

Chad Dyle March 7th, 2008 12:40 PM

Scott from Tapeworks Texas really came through for me! Seeing that the camera was less than 2 weeks old and had a major error with it, he was able to get Sony to take it back and send me a new one!

Whew! I have to say that was a great relief. I understand that these things happen, but if I would have had to send the camera off for repair, I would have always felt a little leary about it. It will be used as a main camera for weddings and if anything goes wrong, there isn't much that can be done.

The Sony tech said that it was due to the OIS coming off its gimble or the OIS circuitry. In order for the OIS to be knocked off its gimble, you would probably also notice a big dent in the camera.

Lastly, I was tooling around another section of this forum and read where someone had updated the firmware on the Canon H1. Does Sony every offer firmware updates? I never noticed anything for my FX-1's, but I was thinking that since the Z7 is a little higher end, it might benefit from future updates.

Scott rocks! For his help, I'll be sending a big King Cake his way next week.

Ethan Cooper March 7th, 2008 12:45 PM

Chad,
Stop dropkicking your camera, you'll find you have fewer problems with it this way.
Just a tip.

Chad Dyle March 7th, 2008 01:03 PM

It was only a couple of beers! Also, duck tape is never a "good enough" adhesive to attach a camera to you car with ;0

Ethan Cooper March 7th, 2008 01:13 PM

I'm all for being new and innovative, but a wedding car chase scene? Something tells me it was more than a couple beers.