A-Data 32GB speedy cf cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Clermont, FL.
Posts: 941
I would be really careful about which card you buy. I bought two Kingston Memory 16GB compact flash cards and even though they are 133x and make the minimum specification, they are not fast enough to work reliably with the Z7. I gave one to my daughter for her SLR camera and put the other in my Epson scanner so that I can scan without the computer, but I wouldn't have bought them had I known I couldn't use them with my Z7.

The much cheaper Transcend on the other hand works flawlessly.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 304
The A-Data card is a 133x-20MB/sec. card.

In testing, the card had a sync issue of 0.9 seconds parallel to tape in one run, and 1.4 in another.

In addition, it had 2 dropouts in one of four tests and it locked up and froze in another.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minnesota (USA)
Posts: 2,171
It seems like the manufacturer's speed ratings (ala 133X) are based entirely on read speed (which is always faster than write speed). From what I've seen elsewhere, the write speeds vary dramatically (from brand to brand) for any given mfg speed rating. Did you do any write speed benchmark tests on the cards Marshall?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 28
Large CF Cards

I was wondering if there were any issues writing to 32GB cards as these are the only ones I was going to consider using. I need to record long form. Some Sony rep I spoke with recently reckons you can't record to anything over 16GB, but according to everyone here is it possible to record 2.7 hours on a 32GB card? How do you record continuously while swapping tapes out for dual backup? Is this possible? I am planning to purchase two of these soon. Are they awesome cams?
Jamie Kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
It seems like the manufacturer's speed ratings (ala 133X) are based entirely on read speed (which is always faster than write speed). From what I've seen elsewhere, the write speeds vary dramatically (from brand to brand) for any given mfg speed rating. Did you do any write speed benchmark tests on the cards Marshall?
To a degree I did, but since I couldn't measure the write speed for the camera itself it wasn't as much of a concern. You will notice a substantial difference, though, among all of the cards. There's very little consistency, unfortunately.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kehoe View Post
I was wondering if there were any issues writing to 32GB cards as these are the only ones I was going to consider using. I need to record long form. Some Sony rep I spoke with recently reckons you can't record to anything over 16GB, but according to everyone here is it possible to record 2.7 hours on a 32GB card? How do you record continuously while swapping tapes out for dual backup? Is this possible? I am planning to purchase two of these soon. Are they awesome cams?

Some people have had good success with the AData cards; they failed some of my tests, however. You can use 32GB just fine as the minimum specs are only 133X-2G size. To film on both but being able to change tape, read the manual, but there's a setting in the camera to do this; just don't sync them together.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #22
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 47
Transcend 32gb test

Just tested 32gb Transcend CF card that was delivered yesterday. I buttoned my Z7 on and off a few times during the 3hr test and the four clips ranged from 23 min to 1 hr 6 min.

All the HDV footage has now been transferred to hard drive via FCP log and transfer window. It shows up fine with no faults, green lines, broken code or other issues mentioned in posts.

Leaving the recorder rolling till the card was full, I recorded 2hrs 43 min and 20frames of HDV footage.

This was without shooting tape. I'll test with tape next plus will test the cache recording function (does cache work while shooting tape as well? What happens to timecode?)

On the desktop the recorder shows the footage to be 30.06gb in size.

Generally, having the ability to shoot for nearly three hours is a superb option but I am not very confident about shooting to CF alone and would definitely use tapes as well. That way, a back up and archiving solution is taken of.

Mickey
Michael Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #23
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Power View Post
Just tested 32gb Transcend CF card that was delivered yesterday. I buttoned my Z7 on and off a few times during the 3hr test and the four clips ranged from 23 min to 1 hr 6 min.

All the HDV footage has now been transferred to hard drive via FCP log and transfer window. It shows up fine with no faults, green lines, broken code or other issues mentioned in posts.

Mickey
With my Transcend 32Gb's I'm getting an occasional clip with missing timecode, and several with a green start. Recording to tape in synchro mode and I think the problem lies in hitting the record button quickly after the previous clip - something that I have to do often filming weddings!
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedley Wright View Post
With my Transcend 32Gb's I'm getting an occasional clip with missing timecode, and several with a green start. Recording to tape in synchro mode and I think the problem lies in hitting the record button quickly after the previous clip - something that I have to do often filming weddings!
I had similar problems with the Transcend 32GB cards. I switched to Transcend 16GB 300x cards and so far I've had none of the problems that I had with the 32GB cards.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network