HVR-Z7 IQ vs HVR-Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HVR-Z7 IQ vs HVR-Z1

I'd like to know how the image quality of the Z7 compares, head to head, with a Z1 (or FX1).

Does the Z7 significantly outperform the Z1 in low light situations?

Does the Z7 produce a sharper image?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah, there are tons of posts referring to the questions you asked, but no solid tests done yet. We need somebody to shoot grayscale and resolution charts and post some grabs. Add in an ex1 and hd200 to the test as well. Any volunteers?
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Some test would be great...I am in the process of deciding on a new camera(s) and quite frankly I don't see $2,500.00 dollar advantage to the Z7 over the Z1.

The tapeless aspect is great especially since it uses any CF card. The enchanced CMOS sensor (Exmor) I presume is an advantage. The removable lens is an advantage to someone somewhere. I doubt most who buy this camera will be changing out the lens. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rankin View Post
quite frankly I don't see $2,500.00 dollar advantage to the Z7 over the Z1.
The only way I can justify it is that I'm hoping the CF recorder will, for my purposes, avoid having to pay for an HDV deck.

If I can ingest to my NLE directly from compact flash, that should suit most of my needs.

My "economic stimulus" check from W. and company won't get here 'til May. Hopefully, there will be some image comparisons between the Z7, the V1, the Z1 (and maybe even Red Scarlet!) by then.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Well about half that price can be justified by the tapeless recording unit.

The Z1 doesn't do true 24p or 30p. For many people this is an absolute necessity.

The low light is minimally better than a Z1 but nothing really worth bragging about.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If anybody wants to split the cost of a Z7, and take the CF recorder, I'll take the camera.

:)
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I'd like to know how the image quality of the Z7 compares, head to head, with a Z1 (or FX1).

Does the Z7 significantly outperform the Z1 in low light situations?

Does the Z7 produce a sharper image?
Not much difference in low light. Improvements in many areas and disappointments in others.

I have about 11 hours of a wide range of footage so far. The manual lens features are very nice, but the auto servo for zoom and focus are waaayyy to slow where the Z1 is lightning quick in comparison. Rolling shutter exists in full force as far as flashing is concerned and is pretty annoying but I haven't noticed any wobble/warping yet, but i wont have reviewed all of the footage extensively until later this weekend.
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Ostrout View Post
Not much difference in low light. Improvements in many areas and disappointments in others.

I have about 11 hours of a wide range of footage so far. The manual lens features are very nice, but the auto servo for zoom and focus are waaayyy to slow where the Z1 is lightning quick in comparison. Rolling shutter exists in full force as far as flashing is concerned and is pretty annoying but I haven't noticed any wobble/warping yet, but i wont have reviewed all of the footage extensively until later this weekend.
Is there any noticeable improvement in (real) resolution?

Is gain on the Z7 as clean as the gain on a Z1/FX1?
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Is there any noticeable improvement in (real) resolution?

Is gain on the Z7 as clean as the gain on a Z1/FX1?
I'll know better about the perceived resolution this weekend as I will be cutting and grading the footage on a large 1080P reference monitor. But intially at default it feels like the footage is muted compared to the footage from the Z1 CCD which may be fine as long as the information is there because muted footage seems to grade better, but we'll see. At the same level of illumination the gain seems almost exactly the same with the grains in the Z7 seeming to be slightly smaller. Again, I will know better this weekend.

I am beginning to feel that once I start dealing with all the flashes I have to deal with and slomo along with the other little annoyances that I would have held off on my Z7 purchases. I've got # FX1, 3 Z1 and 2 Z7 cams and intially I am feeling that for what i do value for the current $ the Z1 is still the champ of all cams.
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I'll look forward to reading what you have to say after you get a close look at the footage this weekend.

Do you find it easier and quicker to manually focus accurately, with the higher rez LCD and the higher rez viewfinder on the Z7?
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'll look forward to reading what you have to say after you get a close look at the footage this weekend.

Do you find it easier and quicker to manually focus accurately, with the higher rez LCD and the higher rez viewfinder on the Z7?
At the moment not at all, but time will tell as I develop my best focus method. I found the Z1's red peaking worked very well for me allowing me to hone in on mesh fabrics like a bride's veil and really nail the focus. The lack of color peaking sucks, but the black peaking on the Z7 IS MUCH better than the black peaking on the Z1. The Z7's LCD rez is nice, but it looses that effectiveness because it is considerably smaller than the Z1 and the practical use of Glossy screen of the Z7 LCD sucks compared to the matte screen of the Z1
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
If anybody wants to split the cost of a Z7, and take the CF recorder, I'll take the camera.

:)
I would give $300 for the CF Recorder!

Anyone raise the offer?

IT is awesome!
George Sickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Major Player

Bruce, want a hand testing the Z1 (mine or yours) against the Z7? I'm about 30 minutes away from you!

C
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
Bruce, want a hand testing the Z1 (mine or yours) against the Z7? I'm about 30 minutes away from you!

C
You can come on by and test them both while I work
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Do you guys think you could shoot some rez charts while you're at it?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270