DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Push Auto Focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/117045-push-auto-focus.html)

Brendan Pyatt March 15th, 2008 11:47 AM

Push Auto Focus

Hi,

I have been told that you can assign Push Autofocus to one of the user assignable buttons.

Please can someone try this and tell me how it works?

Does it try and autofocus whilst the button is depressed (like the v1) or does the AF continue to function after the button is released only stopping when the cam beleives it has the scene in focus (like the EX1).

The difference is subtle but so important!

Thanks.

Brendan Pyatt March 17th, 2008 11:02 AM

Please can someone check this out?

I have called a few shops but none of them have this cam on demo so they don't know.

John Stakes March 17th, 2008 11:21 AM

why not call the manufacturer?

Brendan Pyatt March 17th, 2008 11:30 AM

In the uk there doesn't appear to be a number that you can call with this sort of query.

I tried to find one to find out about alpha lenses with this cam and got nowhere....

Laurence Kingston March 17th, 2008 12:52 PM

Here is how it works on the Z7:

Basically there are two positions to the focus ring: an A and a B position. In the A position, there are ends to the travel and repeatable focus positions whereas in the B position the wheel turns continuously. The A position is always manual focus but the B position is assignable. In order to get the "push to auto-focus" function to work you must first assign manual focus to the B position. After you do, the "push to auto focus" function can be assigned to an assignable button.

When you set up the "push to auto focus" this way, it will work like you want, that is you can zoom in to what you want to focus on, press the button assigned to "push to autofocus" until the image finds the focus, then zoom back out to frame your shot.

Brendan Pyatt March 17th, 2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston (Post 843919)
When you set up the "push to auto focus" this way, it will work like you want, that is you can zoom in to what you want to focus on, press the button assigned to "push to autofocus" until the image finds the focus, then zoom back out to frame your shot.

OK and the cam stops trying to find focus when you release the button? Not like the ex1 where it continues to hunt until it believes that it has focus?

Sorry to go on about the same point but it seems that I will have to get rid of my ex1 due to this 'feature' and i really don't want to waste anymore money...

Laurence Kingston March 17th, 2008 01:24 PM

Yes that is correct. It behaves like a proper "push to autofocus", not like the EX1 where you are basically turning the autofocus on and off, though you can do that too.

You can have the continuous turn "B" position in manual focus, and have one assignable button turn autofocus on and off and another assignable button work as a "push to autofocus" with the lens in manual mode except when you are pushing that button.

Brendan Pyatt March 17th, 2008 01:33 PM

thanks!

i think i will be calling the sony dealer tomorrow.

I do wish there was more info available on additional lens for the z7.....

Laurence Kingston March 17th, 2008 02:37 PM

I saw your post in the EX1 forum so I checked again to make sure the info I gave you was correct. It is. The "push to autofocus" on the Z7 works the way you want it to.

Be aware that the "push to autofocus" function feels really crisp and quick at 60i, but somewhat slow and sluggish at 30p and even slower at 24p. I believe that this is just the nature of progressive shooting though and not unique to the Z7.

For sports stuff you'll be using the 60i anyway I'm sure.