Sony Z7U Owners - Lens Issue - Please Read - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 31st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Ostrout View Post
I called and waited in queue and then it rolled over to an answering machine and I left the info requested and my issues. 2 weeks later have not received a call back. Right after I called them Josh at VSA called and said he put me on the issues list, so I assume that is good enough documentation....
Bruce, I feel your pain but hang in there. I actually had one of my best service done by a sony tech in Teaneck, NJ, replaced a tape transport on a 400L and it works better than new, when you have time appreciate a upload on multiple flashes clip
thnx
Steve Gerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
I've been in contact with some reps from NJ and Japan and they're trying to figure out a solution to these issues. One of the 'problems', though, is that practically no one has called and made a case and if that remains then it's only natural for Sony to assume everything, on a large scale, is fine. So, until people start making light of these issues who knows what will happen.

I have had this problem but it was always at the beginning of some clips. What type of CF cards are you using?
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM   #18
Major Player

Don't think it has anything to do with the CF cards, at least in part based on some elements I looked at in the review I did....but I have Lexar 300x, Sandisk 16G-133X, Transcend 32G-133X, and some others. The file/blocking issues is completely sporadic in my case....so who knows what's causing it.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM   #19
Major Player

I have used the camera and never had a problem because i use it in manual mode use auto outside if you like other then that manual
From always using pro lenses i only feel wright using manual

Rob.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:24 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
With 650~ views, there are no posts to this? Makes no sense.

Here's another fun issue that I've now seen myself and others have been experiencing...

Film several short clips with the CF device and the beginning few frames will appear jagged or another color for some reason, and upon stopping recordation, you will lose part of the end of whatever is filmed. Some files cannot be brought into Premiere, either.
Hello Marshall, can you say which CF cards do you use with the Z7? Make, speed, size?
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM   #21
Major Player

For everyone who owns the Z7U....

I need you to check the following:

1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching?

2>With the lens in Servo mode (switch is in the front bottom left), do the following:
a. Zoom into something, regardless of what, but use the actual ring (holding onto the little knob)
b. Let the camera focus and then just tap the knob.
c. Does the image shift / move at all?
*. It appears that the lens is very loose and this issue, while Sony might say it's normal, would totally screw up certain shots, in that the slightest touch changes the view by about 1/32nd of an inch based on the LCD screen.

If you don't own this camera, do not post. I need to get a list of anyone with this issue ASAP.

PM or call me w/ any questions.

------
03/17 Monday - UPDATE

This issue was just confirmed by Sony as not being normal. Some cameras have a tight mechanism, others are loose and have play to them.

So...this is what needs to be done at this point...

Call Sony at 1-800-883-6817

Follow the prompts, mention the issue, and have it documented, as well as requesting a follow-up call and what you would like in terms of it being fixed.

They have confirmed that this should not be happening, so now it's just a matter of getting them to do something.

---

03/21 UPDATE

Here's another fun issue that I've now seen myself and others have been experiencing...

Film several short clips with the CF device and the beginning few frames will appear jagged or another color for some reason, and upon stopping recordation, you will lose part of the end of whatever is filmed. Some files cannot be brought into Premiere, either.

It's really disappointing that these issues are common throughout EVERY camera and nothing is being done about it yet...I'm supposed to be getting a call this coming week so we'll see what happens, but everyone who owns these cameras really needs to call Sony and make a case. Otherwise, nothing will get done.

---

03/24 UPDATE

Oh, if only everyone knew how many hours I've spent on the phone....ridiculous. Here's the story for those that want something done about this...

>You MUST MUST MUST call Sony and report the issues if it's affecting your cameras. They didn't have enough calls to warrant a mass repair / recall as of last Friday and for all of those who own the cameras that ARE experiencing any of these issues, it's quite foolish not to make it known.

>Will have an answer from Sony mfg (from Japan) sometime today or tomorrow.

>Current status - Sony is gathering info to do a repair/recall/fix on some models based on resellers and are currently trying to determine if it was certain batches or all cameras. If a recall does take place, S/H will be covered by Josh/Cindy. For specs, either contact one of them or myself.

>Other fun issues - rolling-shutter - I think it's blown out of proportion A LOT but it's horrible when it happens - spoke w/ a Sony rep last Friday about this, too.....we'll see what happens.

---

03/27 Update

>I've put more calls in with Sony and nothing has transpired. Not sure what's going on, but I was told that not enough people have stated anything, but I'll see if anything happens on Friday. It's just disheartening with some of this....

---

03/31 Update

>Sony's deciding on what to do with all of the issues....those who purchased teh camera from Josh/VSA will have any applicable shipping charges covered. Confirmed issues are auto-focus (or lack thereof), play in the lens in servo mode, and invalid video files when recording to CF media.

---

04.01 Update

Woohoo!!! Getting somewhere! Just spoke with a Sony rep and it's looking good! Channels are being contacted and Sony is in contact with Carl Zeiss right now. I'm supposed to get a call today or tomorrow with an update on what should be taking place. Issues, as noted, are consistent with every camera. Email/call/PM with questions.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Just received my (UK) model)

1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching?
Seems ok, although perhaps not as fast as my Z1E.

2>With the lens in Servo mode (switch is in the front bottom left), do the following:
a. Zoom into something, regardless of what, but use the actual ring (holding onto the little knob)
b. Let the camera focus and then just tap the knob.
c. Does the image shift / move at all?
Yes
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM   #23
Major Player

---

04.02 Update

Had a conference call this afternoon with two Sony reps. It was a very good call and quite decent. Here's the story based on the initial issues being noted.

CF Recordation issues - pending. They haven't been able to duplicate it themselves and I'm hoping to do it again. I'm trying to see if I can get a Sony CF card for testing purposes. If anyone, who has had the invalid media problem, has any problematic files, I need them - call/post/PM me as soon as possible.

Auto Focus - while we may not be too thrillled with it, it's the lens and is normal - no problems or issues found. It's just a slow lens that likes to hunt; so film accordingly.

Lens Play in Servo Mode - This was initially brought up by another Z7U owner with regards to the assumption of a lens problem based on the 1/4" extra movement in the zoom ring when in servo mode. I looked at other manual lenses and noticed slight play in them as well. Based on these findings, as well as talking with Sony, the lens play is to avoid overcranking the ring, breaking and/or misaligning the internal gears.

Long story short....the issues that were mentioned and of a concern are, at present, normal operations of the cameras and are not defects.

If anyone is unhappy with this please contact me or your reseller for more information as to what alternatives might be.

Regarding the Rolling Shutter - it's normal based on CMOS technology and has nothing to do with camera functionality.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM   #24
New Boot

So Marshall, you are telling me that other lenses on other cameras like the EX1 or the JVC, or even the larger full size cameras have this play? This is normal?

I have a very hard time believing this. They may deem it normal, but I highly doubt this level of play is normal.

The idea that it prevents overcranking... are you saying it stops someone from hurting the lens in servo mode by allowing it to move? I see, so when you reach for the lens and by accident you brush the zoom knob and the image jumps that is just a SONY warning that if you go further it may hurt the lens? Is that right? Yeah...ok.

Well, that is too bad. We are stuck with a lens that is far too slow to focus, sloppy and loose. Even though some do not have the issue, this is just a normal function? Yeah...ok.

How about just selling the body and letting people order the lens that suits them? Cut the price $1500 more and solve the issue of us wasting money on a lens that is not well designed.

I hope other companies like Canon take note and put out a camera that proves you can actually make a lens without this rediculous play.

2 camera launches from Sony and how many issues total between the 2? It's crazy! I had a Canon A1.... do a search and see if you can find anything about defects and recalls and malfunctioning lenses etc. It didn't happen.

This is just a bad choice in design that got approved by corporate Sony. They should be better and know better because they are better then this.

Just my opinion

Paul
Paul Therrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM   #25
Major Player

How do I "film accordingly" with a lens that likes to hunt? I've shot at the same locations, time and time again, with no problems from the FX-1. The Z7U has lost focus on people walking down the aisle in all of the weddings I have shot with it so far. If this is normal, I'll probably be selling them off real soon for more FX-1's. I really loved their low-light capabilities though :(
I will also be attending NAB this year. I plan on speaking with Sony about this. When reading about this camera months before it came out, I remember the articles talking about the wedding videography industry. If anyone knows that article I'm talking about, please link. I'd like to show it to a Sony rep at their booth.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:28 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hello Chad, I don't own the FX-1 or Z7U but have used Sony 400L and Jvc 5100 and 300u at weddings and never used auto focus because they didn't even have the function. So the FX-1 can lock on a moving subject in low lite and maintain focus? I have trained my guys to zone focus in that situation mostly from 20ft to 7ft shifting focus ring as people walked toward them, that is why the real lens has an advantage for my style

One thing I don't quite understand is this from Sony that states "<I>To address back-focus concerns, the Zeiss 14X and 8X zooms maintain automatic back-focus adjustment (akin to the automated back-focus routine in the EX1's service menu)".</I>

Also the digital “focus marking” in the viewfinder is exactly what I want but I want it with CCD

Any more footage from multiple flashes?
Steve Gerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:17 AM   #27
Major Player

Steve,

The FX-1's did have its shortcomings, but I never had a problem. Like I previously posted, we shoot in a lot of the same churches and are familiar with how the cameras react. A bride walking down the aisle shouldn't be a tough shot. I've posted video showing how the camera "hunts" as people are walking towards it.
Another problem we are running into is during the reception. I put the camera on a monopod and hold it a few feet above my head in order to get some large crowd shots. Being that far away from the lcd, I can't see how the focus is holding up. Again, I never worry about this with the FX-1.
We are shooting 90+ weddings in 2008 and I really don't have the time to worry about the camera like this. Maybe I bought this camera to quickly and got over excited from reading the forums. It might have not been the right choice for me.
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #28
Sony Electronics

Hello I work for Sony,

All manual lenses normally have some backlash on the zoom servo gear mechanism. These gears are straight-cut so the slider on the bottom can mesh or un-mesh the gears (servo/ manual). Therefore, they cannot be made very tight. Helical gears will not have backlash but would not be able to easily engage and disengage. If you look at other lenses you will find that some costing more than the complete Z7 exhibit backlash too. Most likely you are accidentally hitting the post on the zoom ring. I recommend that you unscrew and remove the post. This is common practice by all ENG, Production and Film camera operators.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager, Sony Electronics
Juan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #29
Major Player

So it seems that Sony has confirmed that the Auto-focus isn't a problem. I only know the wedding videographers in my area, but none of them use the larger "pro" cameras. I guess I thought the Z7U was going to be as easy to handle as the FX-1 with some better features. I really don't like the idea of zooming out while keeping focus of the bride. I guess with some practice I could do it, but this is our busiest season of the year and no real time for practice.

I'll be at NAB next week and I'll talk to Sony then. I have a feeling that my pair of Z7U's will be up for a sale and I'll be buying another pair of FX-1's :(
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #30
New Boot

Juan,

Thanks you for the info regarding the lens play.

At least I understand the issue now. Obviously it doesn't make me like it, but at least I understand it.

That is too bad it can't be worked out. It just makes it feel cheap, and it allows the image to jump if you mistakenly touch the zoom ring. Which I know I will more then I want to even if I take the knob off.

Thanks again for posting the info.

Paul
Paul Therrien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270