Sony Z7U Owners - Lens Issue - Please Read - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #31
Regular Crew

I am not satisfied with Sony's answers to these very real problems

Chad,

Let us know what you find out at NAB.

All,

The Auto Focus issue I have annoying seen on my Z7U and like Marshall, Chad and Paul, I refuse to believe that this is normal. I think that Sony doesn't want to address and own up to this flaw. You notice that Juan didn't give any response about it and Marshall, on your call with Sony, they said this is normal ??!! That is not true, not on a $6000 camera.

Do we have any further course of action that we can take regarding the lens focus problem ?

Adam
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I talked with a Sony technician today about the lens

Early this morning I called Sony and left a message for a service technician to call me back. I got a phone call about 10 hours later on today from a service technician at Sony in Teaneck, NJ. I described the auto-focus problems to him and he basically said that the issues I reported are not problems and are normal for the lens on the Z7U. He also suggested I use manual focus more than using auto focus.

I didn't feel it was worth the effort and energy to debate with him that I disagree with him but he told me that if I am not satisfied, I could send my Z7U into Teaneck and they would check it over for me but that he doubts there is any problem with the lens.

So there you have it. I guess I am just going to have to live with it because otherwise, I really like the Z7U.

Adam
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #33
Major Player

Yeah, it is what it is. Just one of those things we must live with, but I do think it's a failure and oversight on behalf of the camera's production.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I personally think that they should have made the lens on the Z7 built into the body of the camcorder like the FX1/Z1.

90% of users will never change lenses anyway.

I film weddings and a good auto focus on a camcorder is very important.
Things happen fast at a wedding and you need auto focus to get certain shots.

Sony has messed up, I will keep my FX1...

Regards
Marco Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Cf card issue and focus issue

Marshall, I and my friend in Ft Laurdale have had these issues since we got these Z7 the 1st of March. I have talked to Dominic at Sony and Dennis at Armartos about these faults also have sent them link on youtube to the CF card faults--haven't heard a thing back for weeks.

link to CF card trouble http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q

I shot 7 minutes-54 clips and 20 were bad. I do shoot real fast and edit in camera so maybe I don't give it time to shut down, I don't know?? the tape is always fine. The above clips are the 1st 14 I shot and it looks like the trouble is the last clip of one shot is on the 1st clip of the next shot. I have already given up on auto focus. If I had known about these promblems I probably would have just bought another FX1 and saved $2,500

CF Recordation issues - pending. They haven't been able to duplicate it themselves and I'm hoping to do it again. I'm trying to see if I can get a Sony CF card for testing purposes. If anyone, who has had the invalid media problem, has any problematic files, I need them - call/post/PM me as soon as possible.

Auto Focus - while we may not be too thrillled with it, it's the lens and is normal - no problems or issues found. It's just a slow lens that likes to hunt; so film accordingly.

Lens Play in Servo Mode - This was initially brought up by another Z7U owner with regards to the assumption of a lens problem based on the 1/4" extra movement in the zoom ring when in servo mode. I looked at other manual lenses and noticed slight play in them as well. Based on these findings, as well as talking with Sony, the lens play is to avoid overcranking the ring, breaking and/or misaligning the internal gears.

Long story short....the issues that were mentioned and of a concern are, at present, normal operations of the cameras and are not defects.

If anyone is unhappy with this please contact me or your reseller for more information as to what alternatives might be.

Regarding the Rolling Shutter - it's normal based on CMOS technology and has nothing to do with camera functionality.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.[/QUOTE]
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270