HVR-Z7U accessories confusion??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-Z7U accessories confusion???

The Sony page at Sony business which is dedicated to the HVR-Z7U lists a couple of accessories (in error I think) at this link:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...p=141&id=90830

The confusing part: They list on this Sony page for the Z7U the VCLH0862K wide angle adapter as being an accessory for the Z7U. Don't they check their specs??? This is a wide angle adapter for the V1U. We had the V1U and used our HVLH0862K wide adapter with this cam -- and it DOES NOT fit the HVR-Z7U.

Sony also, on this page, lists the LCD screen shades that fit ONLY the HVR-V1U as an accessory for the HVR-Z7U.

Sadly, I have asked Sony for clarification of this mid last week to see if there are adapters which will allow these products we own to work with the new Z7U cameras. I haven't had a reply.

B&H lists the VCLH0872 wide angle adapter as an accessory to be used with the Z7U. I think this adapter was first offered for use with the Z1U. -- but might do nicely with the Z7U.

I have a feeling that I should trust the B&H listing over Sony's. But before making a purchase, does anyone know if there would be a problem using the VCLH0872 wide angle adapter with the Z7U? Would it be offer zoom through?

Any advice would help.

Thanks!

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Major Player

I believe that the VCLH0862 fits a 62mm thread such as one the V1 and FX7, while the VCLH0872 fits a 72mm thread, such as on the, FX1, Z1 and Z7.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually, Sony has yet another new WA lens coming out in April-May for the Z7U....while it's the same diameter as the Z1U, etc., the one that's listed on BH and others does NOT fit the Z7U (the one for the Z1U). The backend of the ring is ironically about 1/16th of an inch too big, resulting in yet another purchase. I hate how some companies do this, and Sony is notorious for it.

Thus, you'll need a new lens.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I think it's sloppy that Sony has let this information stand on their page without noticing or correcting these mistakes.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Major Player

They've done this for many years. One of my favorites was stating that the little 3W light would work with the cold shoe-equipped cameras. Yup, sure....and, sadly, BH would then state it would and still sell it that way. Never made sense.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #6
New Boot

YOU are so right, ian!

spent 3 days looking out for suitable equipment for my Z7 and did a lot of emailing with different suppliers.

the result:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=118005

regards,
clemens
Clemens Fischer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270