With the Z7U a couple of us are having this trouble with the CF cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 30th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

With the Z7U a couple of us are having this trouble with the CF cards

On short clips, I do a lot at rehearsals, bride prep, photo sessions ect., Me and several others I know are getting digtal blocks or artifacts at the 1st couple of frames of short clips. Not all short clips --at a rehearsal I shot 7 minutes of video and had 22 bad clips out of 54. I'm not the only one to get these and would like to know if anyone else sees this on their Cf cards. Mine are Transend133x 16GB, and 32GB. This has been going on since I got the camera the 1st of March. Is anyone with a newer camera getting this also. You might say its still faster to use the card and upload them then using tape, but it would take longer to cut the bad parts out of these clips then just to capture from the tape, which never has trouble. I can live with no auto focus but I wanted to save time with uploading from CF.
Here's the link to the 1st 14 clips I shot all in order, notice the digital blocks at the bottom of most of these clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

is it alway the first couple of frames or have you had the issue in the middle of a clip? I have not had this problem but it is of concern.

thanks

kdbf
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Major Player

It's confirmed and is common....still waiting on Sony to figure out what they're going to do.

Confirmed problems:

auto-focus (or lack thereof)
play in lens on servo mode
cf recordation issues
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM   #4
New Boot

I experienced similar problem when I captured from HDV tape to my old PC.
My PC was too slow to handle HDV, it dropped many data. That resulted in the same noise.

Such noise occurs due to the lack of packet data.
Transend has many problems even for a D-SLR camera, its transfer rate is NOT stable.... (many said so on the web)
Kenny Pai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM   #5
New Boot

i was having some difficulty with the standard settings and the transcend 32 gig card - switched to cache instead of normal-it has been flawless ever since.
filled the card twice, with over 140 shots, and transferred all to fcp in a little over 20 minutes. awesome
Derek Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Major Player

04.01 Update

Woohoo!!! Getting somewhere! Just spoke with a Sony rep and it's looking good! Channels are being contacted and Sony is in contact with Carl Zeiss right now. I'm supposed to get a call today or tomorrow with an update on what should be taking place. Issues, as noted, are consistent with every camera. Email/call/PM with questions.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

What are your record settings? I have no problems on HDV interlaced. I tried the 30p settings and see the dropouts happen. But not in interlaced mode.
George Sickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Reynolds View Post
On short clips, I do a lot at rehearsals, bride prep, photo sessions ect., Me and several others I know are getting digtal blocks or artifacts at the 1st couple of frames of short clips. Not all short clips --at a rehearsal I shot 7 minutes of video and had 22 bad clips out of 54. I'm not the only one to get these and would like to know if anyone else sees this on their Cf cards. Mine are Transend133x 16GB, and 32GB. This has been going on since I got the camera the 1st of March. Is anyone with a newer camera getting this also. You might say its still faster to use the card and upload them then using tape, but it would take longer to cut the bad parts out of these clips then just to capture from the tape, which never has trouble. I can live with no auto focus but I wanted to save time with uploading from CF.
Here's the link to the 1st 14 clips I shot all in order, notice the digital blocks at the bottom of most of these clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q
try sandisk.. no problems at all!
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Major Player

I was getting these kinds of problems with some 133x Kingston memory cards.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Sony Electronics

With the Z7U a couple of us are having this trouble with the CF cards

Hello I work for Sony.

Please use high speed cards, 133Mbps or higher. The problems you are experiencing is most likely caused by the use of cards with insufficient read/ write speed.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager, Sony Electronics.
Juan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
Hello I work for Sony.

Please use high speed cards, 133Mbps or higher. The problems you are experiencing is most likely caused by the use of cards with insufficient read/ write speed.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager, Sony Electronics.
fine.. so please tell them to launch 16 GB cards! for me it is necessary to change tapes and cards at once. 8 GB cards would only provide shooting half a tape.

regards
clemens
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #12
Major Player

I would like to thank Marshall for his diligence in contacting Sony and helping to spread the word on these issues. I have tried 3 times this week to set aside some time to call Sony and I haven't done it yet. I will contact them to add my name to this list of owners experiencing issues ASAP.
I have 3 weddings on Saturday and I plan on using the Z7U as a B camera while the FX-1 handles the upfront stuff.

Thank you for keeping us updated!

-Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens Fischer View Post
fine.. so please tell them to launch 16 GB cards! for me it is necessary to change tapes and cards at once.
I suspect Juan actually meant to say 133x (which are 160Mbs), not 133Mbs, in which case 16GB versions have been available for a while, and in the Convergent Designs XDR thread, Mike Schell has been reporting on his companys successes with the Transcend 32GB card - http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=122 . He reports managing to reliably record 50Mbs and 80Mbs data streams on it, so I'd assume the Z7s 25Mbs should therefore be easy?

133x equates to such as Sandisk ExtremeIII range. The 8GB limitation applies to such as the Extreme IV range, quoted at 300x (360Mbs).

Last edited by David Heath; April 5th, 2008 at 09:05 AM.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
I suspect Juan actually meant to say 133x (which are 160Mbs), not 133Mbs, in which case 16GB versions have been available for a while, and in the Convergent Designs XDR thread, Mike Schell has been reporting on his companys successes with the Transcend 32GB card - http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=122 . He reports managing to reliably record 50Mbs and 80Mbs data streams on it, so I'd assume the Z7s 25Mbs should therefore be easy?

133x equates to such as Sandisk ExtremeIII range. The 8GB limitation applies to such as the Extreme IV range, quoted at 300x (360Mbs).

Sony stipulates that the camera works with 133x-2G+ compact flash media. That's it. It's a very open-ended statement/requirement given the broad range of cards and their reliability. Reviews on these cards will vary for obvious reasons, but did you ever read my review? It's noted here:

http://techthoughts.org/2008/03/14/c...-test-results/

The reason I did this test was to find out what cards were reliable, had problems, etc. and you should find the results rather interesting to say the least.

Also, your statement of 133x = 160Mbs....where'd you get that from? The equivalent is 20-25 whereas 266 yields 40~ and 300/306 yields 60~.
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
I would like to thank Marshall for his diligence in contacting Sony and helping to spread the word on these issues. I have tried 3 times this week to set aside some time to call Sony and I haven't done it yet. I will contact them to add my name to this list of owners experiencing issues ASAP.
I have 3 weddings on Saturday and I plan on using the Z7U as a B camera while the FX-1 handles the upfront stuff.

Thank you for keeping us updated!

-Chad
I haven't given up yet. What's a shame is that I was going to talk to them at NAB but I have a huge event going on and had to cancel everything. I even had a meeting with some inside folks but won't make that which is quite upsetting, especially with everything going on with these cameras thus far.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270