Brief HVR-Z7U review at EventDV.Net . . . at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Brief HVR-Z7U review at EventDV.Net . . .

Just stumbled upon a very brief review of the Z7U. Check in out at the following link:

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...rticleID=41396

It's certainly brief, but at least it's one of VERY few reviews that one can find. Can't wait to hear more from more reviewers about this camera.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Seems like a very positive review.

Wondering if my mate from New Orleans would aggree with it thou?
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

There's an excellent review in French at http://www.cameravideo.net/forum/hau...rogressif.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Chris

I cant read French is there a translation

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Looks to be a very good review.

Does anybody know how to get a translation to English on this ?

Thanks.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #6
New Boot

Just to share

Hi everyone,

not sure if you've seen it already, but here's what some of us in PAL land think about the camcorder.

http://www.videolifestyle.com/reviews/z7/z7.html

Thanks
Alvin
Alvin Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
There's an excellent review in French at http://www.cameravideo.net/forum/hau...rogressif.html
Somebody translated this into English here:

http://techthoughts.org/2008/04/02/i...7-information/
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Major Player

That sure is a happy review. I think he was actually kinda giddy about the whole thing. Other than the focus issues which some people are having and others aren't, the Z7U is a great camera. It does great in low-light situations and if you find yourself in those a lot, you really can't get a better camera out there (for under 10k). I think there are a lot of us out there holding our breath hoping to hear Sony speak up and say "Ok, we might have goofed on the first batch" or something close to that. It just doesn't seem like a company like Sony would release something like this without extensive testing. Before this camera came out, we all knew that it would have all of these great features and we were all ready to throw down the money. Was Sony just in a huge hurry to get it out?
I'm kinda over the focus issues for what I do. We have a work-around that we have been using and it takes care of things. Nothing technical at all. We just use the FX-1 for the aisle shots and the Z7 for the altar. I did notice several times last night when I picked the Z7 up on the monopod and held it about 8-9 feet in the air looking down on the dance floor that it went out of focus almost every time. It was just general dancing and nothing important, but again, pretty consistent. I would consider it low-light, but the band did have a bunch of dancing lights. I wish I would have capped it on the CF card.
So, lastly, for the low-light capabilities and CF reader, I'm just going to deal with it for now. I spoke to several people at the RED booth about the Scarlet. I'm sure its over my head, but its something I'll be looking into ;)

-Chad out

......and on another event related note, when booking a wedding 14 months in advance, always make sure there aren't any big events going on in that location. We have two weddings next Saturday, both in the French Quarter. Next week is Jazz Fest!!!!! How did I let this happen? I'm probably going to have to parachute in to avoid the traffic!
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270