Any way to order Z7 or S270 without lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Any way to order Z7 or S270 without lens?

I've been doing some research and with 35mm adapter makers soon to be coming up with relay lenses to replace stock lenses on the JVC HD100/200 series and Canon XL series cameras for use with their respective 35mm adapters without a magnification factor and with straight up native Nikon lens mounts like the Zork or MTF adapters, it is looking like it would make more sense to buy Nikon or other 35mm lenses instead of using the stock lenses on any of these cameras. For me, the Z7 looks to be the best all around buy as it will be small and it already comes with a CF recorder for tapeless shooting. However, the S270 has HD-SDI and has some extra perks as well, so it's interesting too.

I realize the cameras are new but it would save a good $800-$1,000 buying without a lens, I'm sure. Obviously, having 35mm optics instead of an 1/3" HD lens would be better for anyone in the filmmaking community and I couldn't see any reason to go back to the stock lens unless I needed AF or AE features.

So, does anybody know anything or have any idea how long it should take for no lens option to become available?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm not sure how you would ever shoot in wide angle, if all you have are 35mm optics on a 1/3" CMOS chip.

I'm not sure what kind of shooting you're doing, so maybe it's not an issue, but I'd find it pretty challenging to only have a field of view equivalent to a telephoto and higher focal length.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, that would be the case with the Zork and MTF adapters, but 35mm adapter makers, like Cinevate and Letus, are making relay lenses for their 35mm adapters to get rid of the magnification factor. The idea is that you would use the relay lens instead of the stock lens and then put the respective 35mm adapter on the front of that and then use whatever 35mm lens mount you want, PL, Nikon, or otherwise. I just mentioned the Zork and MTF adapters as examples.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Major Player

It would be nice for them to sell it w/o the lens, like Canon's XL series.

But I think there needs to be more 1/3" lens out there for sale, 12x on the Z7/S270 is nice, but it would be great to see a better selection of ENG type lens out there.

Canon, JVC & now Sony, come on Panasonic join the group in 1/3" interchangable lens HDV camera & maybe we'll create a sizable market for great 1/3" glass.

Although if attach a 35mm lens straight up you'll have some freakin' strong telephoto glass on your camera.
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Agreed

I already bought my 270 but would have preferred to buy without the Zeiss lens. I had a canon YJ 12 before on my DSR 570 but it doesnt fit this camera so sold it with the camera. I used it all the time and it was lovely. the only W/A I can see for sale is by Fuji and about £4000 or $8000 so would prefer something cheaper. The Zeiss made lens coming out for the Sony is only 8:1 and is not very wide anyway.
Come on Canon there is a market for 1/3 inch lenses!!
Does anyone know how much light is lost by using relay lenses and where I could get one from in the UK?
Barry Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Major Player

With all the trouble people are reporting on this lens, selling them together may be the only way Sony can get rid of their current stock.

I'd love to get a Z7 with the Fujinon 1/3" 13x3.5mm lens, but can't figure out how to swing it. I'm not sure I could resell the Zeiss stock lens...
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
With all the trouble people are reporting on this lens, selling them together may be the only way Sony can get rid of their current stock.

I'd love to get a Z7 with the Fujinon 1/3" 13x3.5mm lens, but can't figure out how to swing it. I'm not sure I could resell the Zeiss stock lens...
Sure not... and don't forget that you wouldn't have no more steadyshot.
The Z7 is a little handy cam, I don't know if it's a good choice to work with a non stabilized lens.
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270