Some experience with the Z7E for wildlife at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Some experience with the Z7E for wildlife

I am a beginner so please take everything I say keeping this in mind...
Tried the Sony Z7 with a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 still lens mounted on it using an adapter made by Mike Tapa.

Had a look on the footage on a professional Sony studio Monitor and it looks AWESOME!!! Sharpness, detail, motion when following the bird walking and looking for food (Stilt), looks fantastic - 100% natural to my eyes. (1080i, 25p)
Focusing (which I thought is going to be a problem) is very easy with the 'peaking' function and determining exposure can not be easier with the histogram and 'zebra' displayed on the LCD.
The more I play with this camera the more I realise I have actually made a very good choice for wildlife videography....

Thought some people will be interested to hear this...
Cheers,

Ofer Levy
Bird Photographer http://www.oferlevyphotography.com
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for the post Ofer - I bought the Z7 hoping to do some wildlife filming in addition to my bread and butter weddings work.

Can you give more detail on the adapter please?

Have you experienced any limitations with the lens?

Do you think my 18-200 VR would work well or should I look to by a faster prime lens?
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedley Wright View Post
Thanks for the post Ofer - I bought the Z7 hoping to do some wildlife filming in addition to my bread and butter weddings work.

Can you give more detail on the adapter please?

Have you experienced any limitations with the lens?

Do you think my 18-200 VR would work well or should I look to by a faster prime lens?
Hi Hedley, the adapter in exactly the same one used by JVC users. Mine was made by Mike Tapa. http://www.mtfservices.com/index.html its a metal ring - no glass.
To be honest I don't have much experience with this lens but from what I have seen so far it looks great. I realise that even with the x7 factor I will need a hide for most of my work - which is the way to go anyhow.
I am happy with the fact that it looks sharp even wide open which gives me a very nice and shalow DOF. I mount one ND filter on the lens (-2 stops) plus the ND filters in the camera - enables me to shoot wide open at 1/50th 0 gain even in bright morning light.
I am really not an expert but I feel that using a good zoom is a better option than a fixed lens. The Nikon 80-200 f2.8 is an excellent lens by any standard.

Hope that helps.
Cheers mate,
Ofer
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Ofer - useful info.
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ofer,

Please check your email. I sent you a message regarding ordering a lens adapter.

Thanks
Jake
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Latendresse View Post
Ofer,

Please check your email. I sent you a message regarding ordering a lens adapter.

Thanks
Jake
Just sent you a reply.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ofer-

Thanks for the response. I shoot still shots with Nikon D300 and have a variety of lenses that I am anxious to use on my new Z7.

Have you any experience with a 10.5mm fisheye on the Sony? How will the 7X factor effect the DOF with such wide angle?

Jake
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #8
New Boot

any chance for a clip or a link to a play back of such
Tom Fruzynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Jake,
I have no experience with the fisheye so can't say anything.

Tom,

I am such a beginner that I don't even know how to post a clip - it will take me a few weeks to find out how to do it...(-:
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270