Z7 MAJOR problem? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #61
Major Player

Well, that would seem to narrow the problem down, anyway. I know the Z7 and the S70 share the same basic lens, but with a different mount. I wonder if anyone with the shoulder-mount camera is reporting the same problem?
Old April 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Like I said... the conversation is over. I will defer to others that have technical knowledge of optics.
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #63
Obstreperous Rex

Hey folks, keep your attitudes in check when posting to this site. I've already made some edits to this thread and am thinking about closing it. Remember this is a community of professionals, and nothing less than professional business-level communication is expected from everyone here.

Thread stays open for now... please keep it courteous, polite and amiable.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #64
Regular Crew

When testing my two HVR-Z7U's I do see a general softness to the image (manual focus) when pulling out after focusing in tele for max sharpness. This isn't normal. In fact, when doing a similar test with the Sony (first gen) HDR-HC1 handycam I get MUCH better focus -- which stays this way throughout the zoom from tele to wide.

Something is wrong here. I would only hope that Juan (Sony) will soon follow through with some additional info. I wrote to him about a week ago with this issue, but haven't heard back.

This problem has been an issue for other recent Sony cameras . . . and these issues NEED to be addressed. Although these aren't $100, 00.00 broadcast cameras -- they are still high end. And any camera with a lens (or design) issue needs quick attention.

If someone from Sony can CONFIRM that there is a problem . . . then they need to fix or replace ASAP. I wish Juan would get back to us to let us know what the scopes at any good Sony service suggest when checking camera / lens focus. It isn’t brain surgery to check a cameras lens system to find that it is or isn’t performing. Sadly we keep waiting for this to be checked.

I have asked folks at Sony Service in Canada to check this forum. Let's hope there are answers soon.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Campbell View Post

If someone from Sony can CONFIRM that there is a problem . . . then they need to fix or replace ASAP. I wish Juan would get back to us to let us know what the scopes at any good Sony service suggest when checking camera / lens focus. It isn’t brain surgery to check a cameras lens system to find that it is or isn’t performing. Sadly we keep waiting for this to be checked.

I have asked folks at Sony Service in Canada to check this forum. Let's hope there are answers soon.

Ian
Someone form Sony called me several times on Fri & Sat. They were at NAB and I am sure they are busy at the booth. Seems like they might be on top of it, but my last conversation with im i told him that a few people on several forums were chiming in that they had the same or similar issues and he said thanks for making them aware of it, but this is the 2nd business day they have had to look at it and call and they haven't so maybe they didn't like the fact that I am searching the forums for confirmations or maybe they're just busy at NAB and don't care about my shoots this weekend that I could shoot with FX1/Z! or even the HC7 cams I have and get a sharper pic than the 2 cams I paid 12grr for :-)

Don't get me wrong, other than this and the CF m2t corrupt files issue, which are MAJOR I do love these cams.
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #66
Major Player

I'm sitting on a brand new Z7 right now and I can replicate the problem, although it doesn't seem to be quite as soft as what Bruce has provided.

I have two choices ... number one, I keep the camera and live with the results.

The second is to return the camera ... but if I do that ... then what? I've already promised my PD-150 to a church ... they put the funds together and there's no way I'm going to tell them, "Sorry ... changed my mind."

I don't want a Z1 and have no interest in Canon.

I really like this camera and the features it offers. It would be great if Sony owned up to the problem and fixed the problem. I don't know if that means sending in a lens to be re-calibrated ... much the same you would a lens for an SLR ... or some other remedy ... like a great deal on a trade-in for a 17x lens. :-)

I need to try and shoot a little more "real life" situations over the next week, but I have to watch just how much in case I were inclined to send it back.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Is anyone near Jacksonville Florida? I will come test your lens for you.
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #68
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Campbell View Post
When testing my two HVR-Z7U's I do see a general softness to the image (manual focus) when pulling out after focusing in tele for max sharpness. This isn't normal. In fact, when doing a similar test with the Sony (first gen) HDR-HC1 handycam I get MUCH better focus -- which stays this way throughout the zoom from tele to wide.

Ian
Please check my Z7 stills, is it the same issue?

WWw.keil.fr/Z7
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaud Keil View Post
Please check my Z7 stills, is it the same issue?

WWw.keil.fr/Z7
Arnaud,

All your shots look nice and sharp to my eyes. Good shots with nice textures for the most part. I don't see an issue based on the stills you've posted. If there is group of users that have an issue such as mentioned by Bruce, it's likely a bad manufacturing run or do to damage during shipment or such (As Chris Hurd mentioned). Since Bruce concluded that the lens is the issue, and since lenses are physical devices, then it's likely a damaged or improperly manufactured lens. I've never heard of a lens give such an issue as Ian alluded to earlier.
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
Arnaud,

All your shots look nice and sharp to my eyes. Good shots with nice textures for the most part. I don't see an issue based on the stills you've posted. If there is group of users that have an issue such as mentioned by Bruce, it's likely a bad manufacturing run or do to damage during shipment or such (As Chris Hurd mentioned). Since Bruce concluded that the lens is the issue, and since lenses are physical devices, then it's likely a damaged or improperly manufactured lens. I've never heard of a lens give such an issue as Ian alluded to earlier.
Greg you just saved me a lot of writing... I completely agree with your assessment of both Arnaud's shots and the lens issue.

kdbf
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #71
Major Player

I'm back again!

So, here's the story....

The camera records great footage, but the current issue is a concern. I've seen it on all of my cameras and I have four of them.

Zoom in on objects that have a similar focal distance with regards to where they are....makes sense....focus on the center object at full telephoto and zoom out. The left-most area will appear blurred. Zoom back in and pan to any of these objects and they are in focus.

The concept is simple and if you don't understand, think of it this way - if you film a wedding and zoom into a bride/groom in the center aisle, then zoom out, the left side will be out of focus whereas the center and right will be in focus. But, if you zoom back in, the focus is intact. That's a serious problem.

Here's a link for the non-believers or whatever....

http://rapidshare.com/files/108111585/test002.wmv.html - I am not leaving this link up for too long.
http://www.vimeo.com/908039

It's 89 seconds long. Can't be more obvious. Consistent on ALL cameras.

Last edited by Marshall Levy; April 16th, 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
Here's the story....

The camera records great footage, but the current issue is a concern. I've seen it on all of my cameras and I have four of them.

Zoom in on objects that have a similar focal distance with regards to where they are....makes sense....focus on the center object at full telephoto and zoom out. The leftmost area will appear blurred. Zoom back in and pan to any of these objects and they are in focus.

Here's a link for the non-believers or whatever....

http://www.therealmav.com/sony/test002.wmv - I am not leaving this link up for too long.

It's 89 seconds long. Can't be more obvious. Consistent on ALL cameras.
I would also say that even the focus subject goes soft, which is a backfocus problem and then add on the left side blur vignette and it makes it a terrible problem. This is an HD camera. If I wanted blurry footage like this on my monitor on my HDTV I'd shoot it with an XL1S, a nice SD widescreen cam.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Thanks so much Marshall for posting the video. This is an excellent example of what we're seeing.

I think our objective at this point is getting Sony to comment. How can anyone say this is a) normal or b) acceptable? Also, to my eye even the most focused areas in wide are out of focus. It's just worse on the L. side of frame.

I will contact Sony of Canada to have my contacts there have a look. If others can have Sony US, etc. look then maybe they will comment and offer explanation and solution.

I agree the camera is great . . . but it isn't in its current state.

Thanks again for posting.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Yet another back focus test

I followed the instructions given within this thread...ran a test...here it is.

http://www.vimeo.com/907763

What do you see?
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Latendresse View Post
I followed the instructions given within this thread...ran a test...here it is.

http://www.vimeo.com/907763

What do you see?
It says it's protected.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270