Controling exposure with the ND filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 18th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Controling exposure with the ND filters

This might sound like a strange idea but I am interested to hear what more experienced videographers have to say about it:

I got the Z7 for wildlife as I needed a camera with the interchangeable lens option.
I currently work with the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 mounted with an adapter and it looks good -no problems in controlling the exposure as there is a aperture ring on this lens.
I need some more reach and I would love to use the new Nikon 200-400 f4 which is a phenomenal zoom.
The problem is there is no aperture ring on the Nikon zoom so the lens should be wide open as this is its default position. Since I would like to get a shallow DOF I shoot wide open 1/50, 25p, 0 gain. I think I can control the exposure quite well using the 3 built in ND filters plus one that is going to be added in the matte box or even on the lens itself.

Please someone let me know whether this can really work - this lens is pretty expensive - nearly 5 grand and I would hate to get it just to realise that I somehow got it wrong....

Thanks!

Ofer Levy - nature photographer
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for your email Alex. I realise it can not be done as each of the built in ND filters reduces the light by 2 f stops so controlling exposure this way is not practical....
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Filters

Film cameramen have used this method for many years to achieve a universal f stop for the productions they work on and achieve a consistent "look " for the movie. The only snag is that every filter adds a layer of glass between image and sensor so you do lose a bit of quality.
Barry Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270