Shoot in HD or keep in SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Shoot in HD or keep in SD

I've got a performance project in two weeks that will be distributed in SD. Am I better off to just shoot it in SD as opposed to messing around with HD.

Is there really much difference when shooting in HD and then converting to SD to make it worth it?

Thanks _
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

One good reason to shoot in HD would be to have that available for future demo reels. If that's not a concern then shooting in SD will be less work, but you may still want to consider whether to shoot widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratio.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Kevin. Yes ... I would still shoot in widescreen format.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I ask myself this same question all the time. For me it usually boils down to what camera I'll be using. If the end format is standard def, I usually have access to bigger cameras with bigger chips and better lenses than I would shooting with the small camcorder-style HDV gear. I tend to think SD shot on a higher-end SD camera looks better than HDV downconverted to SD. Especially if you're talking about non-ideal shooting conditions (low light, no light, etc.)

For example, if I was shooting something I knew was only going to be distributed SD, I would much rather shoot with a DSR-500 than a Z1U.

Now, if you were planning to use the same camera for either SD or HDV capture, you might as well shoot HDV, especially if you're just planning to downconvert to SD on capture anyway.
Adam Bauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bauser View Post
I ask myself this same question all the time. For me it usually boils down to what camera I'll be using. If the end format is standard def, I usually have access to bigger cameras with bigger chips and better lenses than I would shooting with the small camcorder-style HDV gear. I tend to think SD shot on a higher-end SD camera looks better than HDV downconverted to SD. Especially if you're talking about non-ideal shooting conditions (low light, no light, etc.)

For example, if I was shooting something I knew was only going to be distributed SD, I would much rather shoot with a DSR-500 than a Z1U.

Now, if you were planning to use the same camera for either SD or HDV capture, you might as well shoot HDV, especially if you're just planning to downconvert to SD on capture anyway.

If you're talking about non-ideal shooting conditions, that's definitely the way to go. However, one advantage of shooting in HD is that a downconverted SD image usually looks sharper and clearer than even a "pro" 3CCD rig.
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
If you're talking about non-ideal shooting conditions, that's definitely the way to go. However, one advantage of shooting in HD is that a downconverted SD image usually looks sharper and clearer than even a "pro" 3CCD rig.
If you talk about "pro" SD camcorders like DSR series, maybe you're wrong.
SD pro pictures are from far better than HD prosumer pictures converted to SD. The lens is doing most part of the job, the sensors performances do the rest.
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270