Settings for hdv to tape & dv/dvcam for the recording unit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Settings for hdv to tape & dv/dvcam for the recording unit

Received my z7 just over two hours ago. Managed to record hdv to tape and to the recording unit, and importing the m2t file into final cut without a hitch.

Next weekend I'm filming for another wedding videographer and want to record in hdv to tape, but dv/dvcam to the recording unit as he edits ins standard def, how do i go about setting this up in the camera/unit settings?

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Welcome Scott the settings are:

On the camera

1: MENU: IN/OUT REC : I-LINK SET: DOWN CONVERT (SQUEEZE OR EDGE CROP)

2: MENU: IN/OUT REC : EXT REC CTRL SYNCHRONOUS

On the Cf unit select

MENU : I-LINK MODE : AUTO

MENU : REC MODE : NORMAL

MENU : SETTING : DVFILETYPE : (av or raw dv)

Hope this helps to sumarise you just need to set the camera to i-link downconvert and make sure it is synchronised to the camera which is what you were doing in HDV mode the full details are in the manual.

As a side note what OXS are you using and what FCP?

I can not get my CF unit to work on my i-mac or macbook pro systems running leopard 10.5.2 and final cut ver 6.0.3

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; April 25th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help Gary.

I'm using final cut 6.0.2, and mac os x tiger 10.4.11

I did read about your issue with the latest software upgrades. I'm currently awaiting confirmation on a lease for a macbook pro (with leopard), the idea being to capture footage on the wedding day itself and create a short trailer to show at night, generate more copy sales etc.

Did you have the ability to capture from the cf unit to the mac prior to the upgrades?

Scott
Scott Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Welcome Scott the settings are:

On the camera

1: MENU: IN/OUT REC : I-LINK SET: DOWN CONVERT (SQUEEZE OR EDGE CROP)

2: MENU: IN/OUT REC : EXT REC CTRL SYNCHRONOUS

On the Cf unit select

MENU : I-LINK MODE : AUTO

MENU : REC MODE : NORMAL

MENU : SETTING : DVFILETYPE : (av or raw dv)

Hope this helps to sumarise you just need to set the camera to i-link downconvert and make sure it is synchronised to the camera which is what you were doing in HDV mode the full details are in the manual.

As a side note what OXS are you using and what FCP?

I can not get my CF unit to work on my i-mac or macbook pro systems running leopard 10.5.2 and final cut ver 6.0.3
I am running 6.03 with all updates and have no problems capturing off cf card. There do seem to be more fcp crashes since the 6.03 upgrade though..

Bruce Cleveland
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cassie View Post
Thanks for the help Gary.

I'm using final cut 6.0.2, and mac os x tiger 10.4.11

I did read about your issue with the latest software upgrades. I'm currently awaiting confirmation on a lease for a macbook pro (with leopard), the idea being to capture footage on the wedding day itself and create a short trailer to show at night, generate more copy sales etc.

Did you have the ability to capture from the cf unit to the mac prior to the upgrades?

Scott
Hi Scott the Macbook pro worked whilst it was on leopard and 6.0.2 but the i-mac didnt on the same software. Now I have gone to 6.0.3 neither works with leopard and if I go back to 6.0.2 it still wont work so something in the sub code must have changed. I am onto sony about it and will let you know what happens.
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
I am running 6.03 with all updates and have no problems capturing off cf card. There do seem to be more fcp crashes since the 6.03 upgrade though..

Bruce Cleveland
Hi Bruce and thanks for your input, are you on leopard 10.5.2?

One other thing i noticed in the plug in drop down in log and transfer it says 1080 24p and I am running the camera at 1080 25p.

Could this be the problem although as I said it did work on the macbook pro before going to 6.0.3
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Gary

I am running the latest operating system and just did all the updates. All is working well, except that fcp unexpectedly quits more often now. I would think that your import settings have to match what you are importing, but that is just my guess.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270