Logging CF Cards for z7u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Logging CF Cards for z7u

is ther a cheap app to log the CF Cards like the software that comes with the EX-1
thx
joe
Joe Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Yes! I got MPEG streamclip free from the web:http://www.squared5.com/
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #3
New Boot

will this work for logging in the field on a notebook for FCP?
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes it will Joe but can you not use the CF unit direct into log and transfer within FCP with the sony plug-in?
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Gary I have been able to use the log & transfer in FCP for transfering, but it won't let me preview the clips.

Does it work for you?
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Yes it will Joe but can you not use the CF unit direct into log and transfer within FCP with the sony plug-in?
i'm trying to do just logging by the videographers with minimal notes and without having to buy FCP Licenses for each one.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I haven't been able to preview the clips. I actually have the problem that some clips will import fine, but the ones that are over 30 mins long they won't import. Can't work it out. Anyone else had this problem? They seem to be importing fine, then it just stops near the end, and has a red ! next to the clip in the queue, and it won't work with either CF reader or the actual MRC1 unit.
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Is there any way to capture the CF card as Pro Res 422 or do I have to cap at HDV and then convert?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Duke View Post
I haven't been able to preview the clips. I actually have the problem that some clips will import fine, but the ones that are over 30 mins long they won't import. Can't work it out. Anyone else had this problem? They seem to be importing fine, then it just stops near the end, and has a red ! next to the clip in the queue, and it won't work with either CF reader or the actual MRC1 unit.
i recieved a message from sony insisting if you use hs plugin download from sony it will use the index file to stitch them together
j
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pitts View Post
i recieved a message from sony insisting if you use hs plugin download from sony it will use the index file to stitch them together
j
Hi Joe,
Thanks. I am actually using the Sony plugin. It works fine for some clips, but for those over around 30 or so minutes, that is when I seem to have problems importing.

I assume that there isn't a limit to the index file....
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pitts View Post
j
Sure would be great to know how exactly to do that. Would sure make life easier.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Duke View Post
Hi Joe,
Thanks. I am actually using the Sony plugin. It works fine for some clips, but for those over around 30 or so minutes, that is when I seem to have problems importing.

I assume that there isn't a limit to the index file....
Matt what cards are you using? I had the same problem using the Transcend 133x cards. I switched to 300x cards and the problem went away.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh View Post
Matt what cards are you using? I had the same problem using the Transcend 133x cards. I switched to 300x cards and the problem went away.
Kevin, I have had the problem with both SanDisk Extreme III 16gb (30mbs read/write) and Transcend 32gb 133x cards.

Thanks.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #14
Major Player

It looks like they changed SanDisk Extreme III 16gb to a 200X (30mbs read/write) card. It use to be a 133x (20mbs read/write) like the Transcend.
I don't know if anyone has tested the new version, but the old version would occasionally get data errors in the Z7. I have had a lot of trouble with the Transcend 32gb 133x cards. I had 3 of them and my shoots were plagued with data errors. I switched to this card http://www.transcendstore.com/ts16gcf300.html along with the Sony 300x cards and I haven't had a single error since. I shoot a mix of long clips 30min + and short ones. I always wait until the HVR-MC1 has finished writing before I start recording again. I believe that Tapeworks Texas has started carrying Transcend cards.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270