DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Picture profiles, gamma detail, frame rates, etc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/121744-picture-profiles-gamma-detail-frame-rates-etc.html)

Ian Campbell May 15th, 2008 08:03 PM

Picture profiles, gamma detail, frame rates, etc.

Now that many of us are out there using their new HVR-Z7U camcorders, I'm wondering what settings seem to work best for most folks. I'm just starting to play around with my cameras to determine what works best for me.

I tend to like the 30p mode best. The default settings seem to look good to me. I find the picture, in general, a bit soft so I've bumped my overall detail up to +2.

From what I understand from the Douglas Spotted Eagle Z7 training DVD, you can leave XY color on at all times, even if you don't have a monitor, etc. that takes advantage of it's expanded colour space. He says that by doing so you can future proff the original recordings, but your current NLE's and monitors will process the color just fine. I've done some tests and don't feel it looks as good as when leaving XY off. My monitor isn't XY complient.

So, I'd be curious to know if many have tinkered with many of the settings, gamma options, frame rates, detail etc. Sony has offered. I'd be curious to know also how others are setting up there cameras to shoot some great footage.

Ian

John Knight May 16th, 2008 04:30 PM

Picture Profile Recipes

Hi everyone,

I've never had a camera with such tweakable picture profiles before.

I guess it's just a matter of experimentation but can anyone share some good recipes they've found work nicely for this camera?

John Knight May 17th, 2008 04:19 AM

Training DVD

Hi Ian,

Sorry, I posted an almost identical thread before reading this. Experimenting with profiles shortly... will post updates here.

Would you recommend the Vasst Training DVD???... I've heard it's pretty much a walkthrough of the manual... is it worth the money for intermediate/advanced users?

Bruce G. Cleveland May 17th, 2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 879004)
Hi Ian,

Sorry, I posted an almost identical thread before reading this. Experimenting with profiles shortly... will post updates here.

Would you recommend the Vasst Training DVD???... I've heard it's pretty much a walkthrough of the manual... is it worth the money for intermediate/advanced users?

John I have the training dvd, and although it is very good, I don't think it is worth the money, as it is just a walk through the manual. Nothing I did not get from the manual.

Bruce

Ian Campbell May 17th, 2008 09:24 AM

Vasst Dvd

Hi, John . . .

I tried to PM you, but the DVInfo site says you are't set up to allow PM's. If you want to drop me a line at ian.campbell@digitalplayhouse.ca I can give you a bit of info. about the DVD -- plus let you know of other training material which I think might be better.

Ian

Steve Phillipps May 17th, 2008 09:28 AM

Strange you feel the need to up the detail level, tends to be over-vigorous in video cams and most people end up knocking it down a bit in camera and adjusting in post. Favourite on EX1 for example seems to be around -30 detail.
Steve

Chris Hurd May 17th, 2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 879004)
Sorry, I posted an almost identical thread before reading this.

Threads merged -- in the future if this happens, just use the report post function and one of us will merge the duplicate threads right away.