Safe Area and Vignetting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 16th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Safe Area and Vignetting

Hi all,

Im not sure whether this has been asked before but from my brief look through the pages, it has not.

My question is regarding the safe area (I have set my Z7 to 90%) and vignetting. I have a 3rd party wide angle lens that vignettes slightly when mounted. I can just see it inside the corners of the safe frame. My question is "whether the rest of the vignetting outside the safe frame (but still within the physical edges of the LCD monitor) will be visible when played out through a DVD or during editing?

I cant have access to my editing machines right now and would appreciate any views on this.

Thank you very much.

WeeHan
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeo Wee Han View Post
Hi all,

Im not sure whether this has been asked before but from my brief look through the pages, it has not.

My question is regarding the safe area (I have set my Z7 to 90%) and vignetting. I have a 3rd party wide angle lens that vignettes slightly when mounted. I can just see it inside the corners of the safe frame. My question is "whether the rest of the vignetting outside the safe frame (but still within the physical edges of the LCD monitor) will be visible when played out through a DVD or during editing?

I cant have access to my editing machines right now and would appreciate any views on this.

Thank you very much.

WeeHan
Double check and make sure your nd filter knob is not between numbers. Got to turn it until it clicks or you will get what you are describing. Just a guess on my part.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info but its definitely not caused by the ND filters. The wide angle lens just protrudes too much in front that it enters the frame thus the vignetting effect.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, if you're shooting in HD and producing a standard definition DVD, you can always crop the image a bit in post, without suffering any loss in resolution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270