What Alternative lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Major Player

What Alternative lenses?

Hi, thinking of supplementing my V1 with a Z7 simply for the ability to use alternative lenses -but having searched this forum i cant find anybody whose actually using different lenses.

What lenses can i buy today that will fit Z7, particularly wide angle?

cheers
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Wrangler

Any 1/3" lens designed for the JVC ProHD line of cameras will work, this includes the Fujinon 17x5 or 13x3.5 wide angle zoom.
You can also purchase the ACM-17 1/3" to 2/3" adapter and use 2/3" lenses or other adapters. Fujinon also makes a 1/3" to 1/2" adapter that I believe is called the ACM-12.
Other alternatives include JVC's HZ-CA13U PL mount adapter which I used with great success this past weekend (in conjunction with VFGadgets' handle bracket so the Z7 could be mounted upside down) and then there is also the P+S mini35 with 1/3" mount relay lens.
There are also a couple of Nikon mount to 1/3" bayonet adapters available for using Nikon F lenses.
Loads of options!

I've attached a couple photos with the HZ-CA13U PL mount adapter (camera must be mounted upside down) and the HZ-CA23U C-mount adapter with ACM-17.
Attached Thumbnails
What Alternative lenses?-z7_c-mount.jpg   What Alternative lenses?-z7_pl_mount.jpg  

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The Sony VCL-308BWH 24mm-192mm (35mm equivalent) f1.6 - 2.4 is due in June
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Awesome, finally someone used that JVC PL mount adapter. By chance, any stills or video to show how the footage turned out?
Zack Birlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis View Post
Awesome, finally someone used that JVC PL mount adapter. By chance, any stills or video to show how the footage turned out?
Coming soon...just need releases from the producers.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Major Player

ThaNKS!

Tim, et al, thats good enough for me to dig up on.... thanks much.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Coming soon...just need releases from the producers.
How'd that go? The test material I've seen posted using the hd200 with the plmount adapter looked absolutely fantstic. What lens did you use? Can't wait to see the z7 footage.
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
How'd that go? The test material I've seen posted using the hd200 with the plmount adapter looked absolutely fantstic. What lens did you use? Can't wait to see the z7 footage.
I'll write up a full review for dvinfo soon.

The prime lenses I rented were 16mm format 3.5mm (fisheye for peephole gag) & 8mm for wide establishing shots. The prime kit also had 35mm format Zeiss T1.3 18mm (my "go-to" lens for the shoot) a 35mm and an 85mm. My ACs would set the backfocus with the 85mm at the top of the day and then we'd be golden for all the other lenses.

As for the Z7 I was impressed with the range of adjustment available, especially with the knee levels and shape option. I also really liked the histogram and "electronic bubble level."
The biggest cons for me were lack of 180 degree image inversion in camera or even in the viewfinder, lack of 144 degree shutter angle (for 60Hz), inability to output HDMI 1080p and a downconverted signal to the composite out simultaneously (which meant I couldn't use the small NTSC camera mount monitor I had) and very disappointing mpeg2 compression on fast movement (a candied-glass vase breaking over someone's head.)

The CF card system performed well but I wish it had an indicator in the viewfinder for time remaining. It is sometimes very difficult to read the LCD display on the CF recorder in the bright sunlight.
The files imported easily into FCP6.0.3 but I'm sure glad we had tape backups because a card filled up during a good take.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paterson View Post
The Sony VCL-308BWH 24mm-192mm (35mm equivalent) f1.6 - 2.4 is due in June
Any word on pricing on this lens, yet?

Or if we can buy the Z7 with this lens instead of the stock lens?
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
Or if we can buy the Z7 with this lens instead of the stock lens?
I would buy a 2nd Z7 if it came with the wide angle instead of the normal lens... giving me both options. I asked my supplier if Sony would offer this. He laughed. :(

I found this mentioned.... http://www.trainingvideographers.com...08/5520452.htm
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yeah, seems like canons strategy with the xl series, if you want the increased capability, you need to pay the price.
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight;880691I found this mentioned.... [url
http://www.trainingvideographers.com/catalog/item/5541708/5520452.htm[/url]
Getting away from those dang screw-on WA adapters is exactly why I want an interchangeable lens to begin with!

Yeah, I kind figured that you couldn't buy the Z7 with your choice of lenses. That's probably the only way Sony will be able to unload the stock lens!

Shame on Sony for making a more professional camera, but not treating its customers like professionals!
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Fuji W/A lens for HVR S270

Has anyone tried the Fuji W/A lens for 1/3 inch chip cameras its the only "proper" W/A lens I can find on the net but is nearly as expensive as the camera.
I find the Sony standard lens to be slow to zoom and as others have said I would have preferred to buy my 270 without a lens and get a decent manual professional alternative. Its a pity Canon dont make a W/A 1/3 inch chip lens as I have always used them.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM   #14
Major Player

-----

EDIT: (mostly nevermind!) found the lens cable jack hidden by the stock lens right under the grip. so I have to assume that all "normal" lens functions will work through this jack.

but if someone has used the JVC stock lenses (they're Fuji, right), I'd be interested to hear what they think of them

------

has anyone used / know how well the JVC HD100,200... series lenses work w/ the Z7 / S270?

the biggest thing that I am wondering about is if the record trigger still works, if there is power for the servo zoom and if it can do auto iris.

from what I can tell the JVC lenses use a cable like larger Betacams that go from the camera to the lens, while the Z7/S270 is completely internal.

(sorry if this has already been covered)

Last edited by Zach Love; May 21st, 2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: found answer
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
-----

EDIT: (mostly nevermind!) found the lens cable jack hidden by the stock lens right under the grip. so I have to assume that all "normal" lens functions will work through this jack.

but if someone has used the JVC stock lenses (they're Fuji, right), I'd be interested to hear what they think of them

------

has anyone used / know how well the JVC HD100,200... series lenses work w/ the Z7 / S270?

the biggest thing that I am wondering about is if the record trigger still works, if there is power for the servo zoom and if it can do auto iris.

from what I can tell the JVC lenses use a cable like larger Betacams that go from the camera to the lens, while the Z7/S270 is completely internal.

(sorry if this has already been covered)
I would like to know as well...

I just bought the 17x Fuji- it would be absolutely fabulous if it works with Sony as well. It would make sense since there are a couple of lenses already out there for the JVC. As Zach already mentioned- I hope the servo/power options all work as opposed to just a lens that fits.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270