Intercutting footage from the Z7 with footage from the EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 29th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Lucas View Post
Ofer, here's a link to the BBC requirements -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/dq/c...html#HDSummary

I'm still trying to dig up same for Nat Geo and Discovery.

Thanks for that Aaron! Is there a way to present the footage I get with the Z7 is accordance with these guidlines? I shoot 1080i, 25p and the resolution looks the same - where is the catch...? (-:

Please check my email.

Thanks!!
Ofer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

You can present it on HDCam or even SR if you hire a deck and play out to that. The problem is that they (for the most part) have these technical requirements for a reason, the main one of importance is transmission problems with under-spec stuff. So while your Z7 stuff might look great to you, when it's transmitted apparently the MPEG codec falls to pieces when mixed with their transmission codec and looks terrible. When they would discover this (ie at delivery or on transmission) I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that the upshot would be that you'd never work for them again!
I do think some of the technical requirements are a bit silly though, particularly the one about chip size - it really doesn't mean anything.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
You can present it on HDCam or even SR if you hire a deck and play out to that. The problem is that they (for the most part) have these technical requirements for a reason, the main one of importance is transmission problems with under-spec stuff. So while your Z7 stuff might look great to you, when it's transmitted apparently the MPEG codec falls to pieces when mixed with their transmission codec and looks terrible. When they would discover this (ie at delivery or on transmission) I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that the upshot would be that you'd never work for them again!
I do think some of the technical requirements are a bit silly though, particularly the one about chip size - it really doesn't mean anything.
Steve
Thanks Steve, I have no intention to deceive anyone. If what I get with the Z7 or even the EX3 is not up to the standards of broadcasters - I will just have to get the right camera - I believe the RED ONE looks like a good option.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer Levy View Post
Thanks Steve, I have no intention to deceive anyone. If what I get with the Z7 or even the EX3 is not up to the standards of broadcasters - I will just have to get the right camera - I believe the RED ONE looks like a good option.
Keep in mind that the video quality of a Z7 or EX1 is really excellent, and that by the time you downrez the RED ONE to viewable HD, the image won't be any better.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
Keep in mind that the video quality of a Z7 or EX1 is really excellent, and that by the time you downrez the RED ONE to viewable HD, the image won't be any better.
Thanks Laurance - I am sure you are right and I will post some footage this week to show it. However,since the broadcasters dictate the rules I will just have to follow. If the quality of footage captured with the EX3/EX1 is not good enough according to these standards - then I don't really have a choice - do I ?
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #21
Trustee

Once the footage is mastered to digibeta or xdcam it has robust video status that will stand up to the transmission.

Just look at all the programmes using consumer vhs type clips of funnies of people doing stupid things for the camera its called youve been framed here in the UK.

Do those clips break up or cause problems with the transmission system?

No they dont because they have been transfered to digi beta and this is the robust system required for TX, if you look closely at specifications for most TV stations it is a spec for DELIVERY not shooting formats. Ok the bbc one is the exception but BBC3 and 4 have full programmes shot on z1 cameras and they are fine for TX as they have been properly mastered to digibeta or another pro format.

There are loads of programmes that use DVCAM and HDV material and the pictures are fine as they have been mastered to a higher format for delivery to TX.
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Laurence, again the problem is not so much the image quality as the way the codec behaves under the transmission codec (I think!) That's where you start to get problems. It's the same with Super 16 film, it looks gorgeous, but apparently on HD transmission the codec has all sorts of problem when it encounters the film's grain and breaks up causing the transmitted picture to be pretty rough.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #23
Major Player

There might be a little of that, but I think it is mostly politics.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270