Alpha mount adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #16
Major Player

The big question will be whether or not the Sony Digital Alpha adaptor will allow access to automatic/electronic iris control on the Sony/Minolta DSLR lenses. Many of these lenses do not have a manual iris ring.

Note that the Mike Tapa Nikon adaptor allows for lens-mounted manual iris control only.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
Is Sony going to release their own adapter anytime soon?
That is the question that I started this thread with. When IS sony going release their adapter that they've been talking about since the first press release of the Z7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Where did you get the Nikon mount from and how much was it?
What magnification does it have?
Technically speaking there is no magnification. A 50mm on a 1/3" CMOS video camera is the same as a 50mm lens on a 35mm SLR. The difference is the FOV (field of view). The same picture taken from the same spot with the same 50mm lens will be aprox 7x magnified on the video camera compared to the SLR.

I think the stock lens on the Z7 is good, but there have already been times where I want to zoom in more. The 12x Zeiss lens stops at about 50mm, so if you have a 100mm SLR lens & SLR lens adapter, you can get twice as close to the subject as w/ the stock lens.

But again, COME ON SONY, what is going on w/ your Alpha mount adapter?!?
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Is there an adaptor for Canon EF-lenses too?
Hi Luc, unfortunately there isn't one available and Mike Tapa who makes the Nikon adapter told me it's impossible to make a canon adapter.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer Levy View Post
Hi Luc, unfortunately there isn't one available and Mike Tapa who makes the Nikon adapter told me it's impossible to make a canon adapter.
That's bad news. I was considering selling my Canon XH-A1 and buying a Z7 for the interchangable lenses, but I sold all my Nikon stuff last year and replaced everything with Canon (Didn't regret that, because for my business - concert photograpy - Canon's lowlight performance is way better). Now I'll have to reconsider the switch carefully. What other advantages can the Z7 offer me over the XH-A1, except for the CF-recording?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
What other advantages can the Z7 offer me over the XH-A1, except for the CF-recording?
This should really be a thread all its' own, but for one the ability to zoom & focus at the same time.

Plus you can take off the stock lens & get a wide selection of Nikon lenses (or Sony Alpha (aka Minolta) lenses if Sony ever gets around to releasing their adapter) for much less than the price of a new video lens.

But if you really need to, just use some duct tape to attach the Canon lenses until someone w/ a halfway pro machine shop gets around to welding two bits of metal together and starts selling adapters.

And just for kicks, another thing the Z7 has that the XH-A1 doesn't. In camera (viewfinder / LCD) digital level to keep your video from looking like an old Batman episode.
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
This should really be a thread all its' own, but for one the ability to zoom & focus at the same time.

Plus you can take off the stock lens & get a wide selection of Nikon lenses (or Sony Alpha (aka Minolta) lenses if Sony ever gets around to releasing their adapter) for much less than the price of a new video lens.

But if you really need to, just use some duct tape to attach the Canon lenses until someone w/ a halfway pro machine shop gets around to welding two bits of metal together and starts selling adapters.

And just for kicks, another thing the Z7 has that the XH-A1 doesn't. In camera (viewfinder / LCD) digital level to keep your video from looking like an old Batman episode.
Thanks for the advice, Zach. That's probably the best way to look at things. Do you know if there's an important difference in image quality(sharpness above all) between the two cams? In Belgium the price difference is quite big: the Z7 costs 35% more than the XH-A1!
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post

Most tripods have a spirit level built in, this is not a big selling point. For handheld work you either focus your attention to the subject or have it focused on the spirit level. As far as I am concerned all the information I want to see in a viewfinder is, how much recording time is left and an indication to let me know it is recording. The rest are all distractions.

The big advantage with the Z7 is the interchangeable lens and tapeless option, but then I don't think it will be long before third party Card adapters become available
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Zach. That's probably the best way to look at things. Do you know if there's an important difference in image quality(sharpness above all) between the two cams? In Belgium the price difference is quite big: the Z7 costs 35% more than the XH-A1!
both are good cameras. I don't know off hand what a side to side comparison brings up between the Z7 & A1. all that I can think is the the lens & CF card is VERY much worth the 35% price increase. but if you're not going to use the CF recorder or every buy / rent extra lenses then the extra 35% could be more useful on lights, mics or tripod. just depends on what fits your needs.

the EX1 has much better picture quality than either the Z7 or A1. but shooting on miniDV tapes & CF cards (two mediums you can buy at any electronic store) was what fit my needs, add to that I saved over $2k on the Z7 over the EX1 and I'm happy w/ what I bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
For handheld work you either focus your attention to the subject or have it focused on the spirit level.
but w/ the level on screen I can focus on both w/o looking away. not a deal breaker, but another tool that you can use like zebras, color temp reading & audio metering.
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks again, Zach. The comparison has slightly shifted now, because shortly, the Canon XL-H1A will be available here. I must admit that the main thing that puts me off the XH-A1 is that it is handheld, not shoulder mounted. That is why I'm looking inot the shoulder-mounted XL-H1A. But... if I compare that camera to the Z7, it strikes me that the latter has much more possibilities as far as tweaking and ergonomy is concerned. Have you experienced the Z7 to be hard to hold for a longer time without a shoulder rest? I cannot get my hands one one where I live, so it's hard to try out.
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #25
Trustee

At the moment I use both the Canon XL1s and XH A1. I love the quality of the A1 and love the handling of the XL1s. The H1 would seem to be the natural choice, although I do like the Z7 and the tapeless option. If I could find a better solution to tapeless other than the overpriced Firestore, then I may just go down the XL-H1A route and stay with Canon.

The XH A1 is awkward to use for any lenght of time and I suffer more with camera movement than with the XL1s, although a good monopod has resolved the problem to some extent. The buttons on the XH A1 are nothing short of awful, they are far too small, whereas the XL1s has very positive controls.

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; June 5th, 2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added text
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Anyone heard anything about when this adapter will be available?

Its annoying when they announce something and then dont release it...

Id like a long lense with autofocus / auto iris...
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:33 AM   #27
Regular Crew

any news?

Or am I waiting for something that isn't going to happen?

I don't understand why this is taking so long to come out. The Z7 has been out for months now.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM   #28
Tourist

I think the adapter LA-100W adapter for alpha lenses is coming out in october.... :-)
Brooke Rudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:18 PM   #29
Major Player

cancelled.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:44 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Hi,

I have found one! It's in stock with Sony Europe.

5433 | Sony LA-100W (LA100W) 35mm Alpha Lens Adaptor for HVR-Z7E / HVR-S270E

Now I want a zoom-able long telephoto.

Either a SAL-70300G (70-300mm F4.5-5.6) or SAL-70200G
(70-200mm F2.8)

The 70-300 is lighter but has an extending lens when zoomed. The 70-200 is longer and heavier but stronger.

I wonder how much the stock lens on the z7 weighs?
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270