DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Advice for Migrating from a VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/123106-advice-migrating-vx2000.html)

Jamie Jewett June 5th, 2008 09:05 AM

Advice for Migrating from a VX2000

Greetings All
I have been reading your posts for some time and am quite grateful for the information you have all shared. I have been shooting with a VX2000 since 2000 and have been quite happy with it - Now I want to move to a more professional HD camera - the z7 seems the best one for me.

I wonder if people could make any suggestions about this move up -
suggestions beyond just shoot as much as I can with it...

Multiple folks have mentioned that this is not necessarily an intuitive move and I would love to do what home work I can to make this transition as smooth as possible.

I have been working with cannon HV20 footage this spring (thought not shooting with it) so the HD in to FCP end of things is a bit familiar...

I was thinking about getting the Douglas Spotted Eagle DVD -
someone mentioned that this was essentially a regurgitation of the manual
but it seems like he makes specific suggestions re settings etc.

any thoughts would be apreciated

all best
Jamie

Bruce G. Cleveland June 5th, 2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Jewett (Post 888714)
Greetings All
I have been reading your posts for some time and am quite grateful for the information you have all shared. I have been shooting with a VX2000 since 2000 and have been quite happy with it - Now I want to move to a more professional HD camera - the z7 seems the best one for me.

I wonder if people could make any suggestions about this move up -
suggestions beyond just shoot as much as I can with it...

Multiple folks have mentioned that this is not necessarily an intuitive move and I would love to do what home work I can to make this transition as smooth as possible.

I have been working with cannon HV20 footage this spring (thought not shooting with it) so the HD in to FCP end of things is a bit familiar...

I was thinking about getting the Douglas Spotted Eagle DVD -
someone mentioned that this was essentially a regurgitation of the manual
but it seems like he makes specific suggestions re settings etc.

any thoughts would be apreciated

all best
Jamie

Hi Jamie

I am the happy owner of a Z7 that I got about 3 months ago. We are still planning on using our 170s and 2100s for weddings for the near future at least. I mainly got this camera to ease into the HD world and it has been a learning curve. I found the Z7 much easier to manual control than the 2100s. Once you take the time to learn this camera it is a great piece of equipment. I have been saying, and will continue to say, you must take time to read the manual as many times as it takes to learn everything there is to know about this camera. You also need lots of practice shooting in the manual mode. I never knew what people meant when they referred to a camera as a manual camera until I got the Z7. You are making a very great choice to get this camera and if I was in the position to get 2 more hd cameras, the Z7 would be the ones I would get. As far as Spot's dvd on the camera, it is a very good dvd and he does a great job. I found it to be a good companion to the manual. Keep in touch.

Bruce

Jamie Jewett June 5th, 2008 10:23 AM

thanks - going with the DSE DVD - anything else?

Thanks Bruce

Ya - It seamed like the DSE video was the best place to start...

I almost always shoot the VX2000 on full manual so that should be similar on some level....

Unfortunately I had to sell the VX to buy the Z7 -
there are only so many pennies in the pot!

so I will do what I did with the VX - shoot, shoot, shoot!

but any other suggestions are helpful as well

best
jamie

Bruce G. Cleveland June 5th, 2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Jewett (Post 888738)
Thanks Bruce

Ya - It seamed like the DSE video was the best place to start...

I almost always shoot the VX2000 on full manual so that should be similar on some level....

Unfortunately I had to sell the VX to buy the Z7 -
there are only so many pennies in the pot!

so I will do what I did with the VX - shoot, shoot, shoot!

but any other suggestions are helpful as well

best
jamie

Yes that would be my biggest suggestion. Just practice as much as you can. I have never been more comfortable with a camera. Been shooting lots of wildlife and flowers. Here is a video for you to check out.

http://Turtleboy.smugmug.com/Nature/529549

Bruce

Jamie Jewett June 5th, 2008 12:22 PM

stunning

hey Bruce -

Great Images - I just can't wait to get mine!

nice dof work -

this must look really great uncompressed!

thanks for the post

Jamie

Bruce G. Cleveland June 5th, 2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Jewett (Post 888796)
hey Bruce -

Great Images - I just can't wait to get mine!

nice dof work -

this must look really great uncompressed!

thanks for the post

Jamie

Yes it looks even better right from the camera. Makes me really want bluray more and more.

Bruce

Stu Holmes June 8th, 2008 10:27 AM

Hi Bruce

Been looking at some of your work today. - i really quite like it!

Can i ask for a few tech details of what mode you shot the nature stuff on? and in-cam settings / profiles that sort of thing and then workflow to end product. nothing too detailed, but am interested.

thanks in advance

Bruce G. Cleveland June 8th, 2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes (Post 889905)
Hi Bruce

Been looking at some of your work today. - i really quite like it!

Can i ask for a few tech details of what mode you shot the nature stuff on? and in-cam settings / profiles that sort of thing and then workflow to end product. nothing too detailed, but am interested.

thanks in advance

Hi Stu

I shot manual iris at 5.6, manual shutter at 60, ND filter I think was on 4, white balance left at auto. Shot everything on a tripod. Sunny day, mid WI morning. Edited on FCP with no filters, except some slo-mo. Colors and clarity are all what I shot. I am very happy with this camera and my next shoot I will be experimenting with 24p.

Bruce

John Knight June 13th, 2008 12:15 AM

Hi Jamie,

I just updated this thread with thoughts about VX2000 vs Z7...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=121791

Jamie Jewett June 13th, 2008 05:22 AM

thanks John!

My camera arrives tuesday!

I can't wait!

best
Jamie