DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Is there ghosting using 35mm Nikon zoom lenses with the HVRZ7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/123454-there-ghosting-using-35mm-nikon-zoom-lenses-hvrz7.html)

Francis Chee June 10th, 2008 03:32 PM

Is there ghosting using 35mm Nikon zoom lenses with the HVRZ7

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying the HVRZ7 and want to use Nikon D series Zoom lenses, not prime ( at present). I know that you can get ghosting artifacts with some 35mm lenses on digital stills cameras, I have a Tamron zoom 18-200mm that does this on a Nikon D300. You get ( in my lens/camera combination) reddish/orange soft halos around all images but my prime 35mm 60mm D series macro gives excellent super sharp images. I did notice that the moon clip from G Nattrass showed some chromatic aberration with blue red fringes. I know this is the lens and has nothing to do with the capture side of things.

Anyway has anyone used other Nikon zoom lenses on this camera and what do they find?

Thanks in advance.

Francis

Francis Chee June 16th, 2008 05:35 PM

So no one has seen any ghosting artifacts with Nikon zoom lenses on this camera?

Hi, do yo guys know what I'm talking about with the ghosting? I can't believe only one person, Gary Nattrass has stuck a Nikon zoom on their brand spanking new HVRZ7. I know what I'm asking is not the best kind of lens whatsoever to put on the end of this camera but hey, what about you Gary, do you see this kind of artifact with that big zoom of yours?

Francis

Bruce G. Cleveland June 16th, 2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis Chee (Post 894145)
Hi, do yo guys know what I'm talking about with the ghosting? I can't believe only one person, Gary Nattrass has stuck a Nikon zoom on their brand spanking new HVRZ7. I know what I'm asking is not the best kind of lens whatsoever to put on the end of this camera but hey, what about you Gary, do you see this kind of artifact with that big zoom of yours?

Francis

Why is that so hard to believe?? they are not making putting different lenses on these cameras exactly easy or inexpensive.

Bruce

Gary Nattrass June 17th, 2008 02:46 AM

I quite like it and in the case of the moon shot I just say it is the moon diffusing the suns light as it is red on the bottom and blue on the top, seriously the only lens I have problems with is my sigma 10-20mm all my other nikon lenses are fine so it must be ultra wides that are affected by the tapa mount.

Francis Chee June 17th, 2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 894152)
Why is that so hard to believe?? they are not making putting different lenses on these cameras exactly easy or inexpensive.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, yeah I totally agree. It would be a stupid idea to do so from a sales and marketing point of view.

Francis

Francis Chee June 17th, 2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 894305)
I quite like it and in the case of the moon shot I just say it is the moon diffusing the suns light as it is red on the bottom and blue on the top, seriously the only lens I have problems with is my sigma 10-20mm all my other nikon lenses are fine so it must be ultra wides that are affected by the tapa mount.

Hi Gary, ok thanks for replying. This is good to know. Oh yeah don't get me wrong i wasn't knocking your moon image! Any aberrations from this zoom ( or any 35mm lens using this mount) are of course magnified X7 , aberrations you would never see on 35mm Film, not to the naked eye anyway.

once again thanks for replying

regards

Francis

Gary Nattrass June 17th, 2008 04:38 AM

Just to add I have a nikon 35-55mm zoom that I got from e-bay for £50, it is an autofocus lens but works just fine with the Z7 as well.

Francis Chee June 24th, 2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 894326)
Just to add I have a nikon 35-55mm zoom that I got from e-bay for £50, it is an autofocus lens but works just fine with the Z7 as well.

Hi Gary, ok thanks for info.

Francis

Luc De Wandel June 24th, 2008 03:46 PM

I just got my Tapa mount in the mail and I'm going to look out for a second hand prime telephoto Nikon lens now. (200 mm or 150 mm - f2,8). I suppose only the lenses with manual aperture (and an aperture ring) will work?

Gary Nattrass June 24th, 2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel (Post 897985)
I just got my Tapa mount in the mail and I'm going to look out for a second hand prime telephoto Nikon lens now. (200 mm or 150 mm - f2,8). I suppose only the lenses with manual aperture (and an aperture ring) will work?

NO I am using all my D300 lenses with the Z7 the 70-300mm I use is an AF Nikkor that came with my D200 and it is fine.

The good thing about Nikon is that they always have had manual and auto options on all their modern lenses, just set the lens to manual and you will be fine.

The only exception is the sigma 10-20mm as it is too wide for use.

I have some old Nikkor primes but it is the 70-300mm f4.5-f5 Af that came with my D200 that is the fave and pictured here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4052008042.jpg

Luc De Wandel June 25th, 2008 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info, Gary. That widens my scoop in lens searching. I used to have 12 Nikon lenses (amongst which a 300 mm f2,8 - that would have been an awesome 2100 mm on the Z7!), but I converted everything to Canon last year, because for my business (concerts) the lowlight-characteristics of Canon were better at the time. If I would have known Nikon was coming with their superb D3, I would have kept my gear, as a faithful Nikon user for 30 years! Anyway, I'll find what I need.