Is there ghosting using 35mm Nikon zoom lenses with the HVRZ7 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin Ireland
Posts: 8
Is there ghosting using 35mm Nikon zoom lenses with the HVRZ7

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying the HVRZ7 and want to use Nikon D series Zoom lenses, not prime ( at present). I know that you can get ghosting artifacts with some 35mm lenses on digital stills cameras, I have a Tamron zoom 18-200mm that does this on a Nikon D300. You get ( in my lens/camera combination) reddish/orange soft halos around all images but my prime 35mm 60mm D series macro gives excellent super sharp images. I did notice that the moon clip from G Nattrass showed some chromatic aberration with blue red fringes. I know this is the lens and has nothing to do with the capture side of things.

Anyway has anyone used other Nikon zoom lenses on this camera and what do they find?

Thanks in advance.



Francis
Francis Chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #2
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin Ireland
Posts: 8
So no one has seen any ghosting artifacts with Nikon zoom lenses on this camera?

Hi, do yo guys know what I'm talking about with the ghosting? I can't believe only one person, Gary Nattrass has stuck a Nikon zoom on their brand spanking new HVRZ7. I know what I'm asking is not the best kind of lens whatsoever to put on the end of this camera but hey, what about you Gary, do you see this kind of artifact with that big zoom of yours?


Francis
Francis Chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Chee View Post
Hi, do yo guys know what I'm talking about with the ghosting? I can't believe only one person, Gary Nattrass has stuck a Nikon zoom on their brand spanking new HVRZ7. I know what I'm asking is not the best kind of lens whatsoever to put on the end of this camera but hey, what about you Gary, do you see this kind of artifact with that big zoom of yours?


Francis
Why is that so hard to believe?? they are not making putting different lenses on these cameras exactly easy or inexpensive.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,939
I quite like it and in the case of the moon shot I just say it is the moon diffusing the suns light as it is red on the bottom and blue on the top, seriously the only lens I have problems with is my sigma 10-20mm all my other nikon lenses are fine so it must be ultra wides that are affected by the tapa mount.
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #5
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin Ireland
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
Why is that so hard to believe?? they are not making putting different lenses on these cameras exactly easy or inexpensive.

Bruce
Hi Bruce, yeah I totally agree. It would be a stupid idea to do so from a sales and marketing point of view.


Francis
Francis Chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #6
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin Ireland
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
I quite like it and in the case of the moon shot I just say it is the moon diffusing the suns light as it is red on the bottom and blue on the top, seriously the only lens I have problems with is my sigma 10-20mm all my other nikon lenses are fine so it must be ultra wides that are affected by the tapa mount.
Hi Gary, ok thanks for replying. This is good to know. Oh yeah don't get me wrong i wasn't knocking your moon image! Any aberrations from this zoom ( or any 35mm lens using this mount) are of course magnified X7 , aberrations you would never see on 35mm Film, not to the naked eye anyway.


once again thanks for replying


regards


Francis
Francis Chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,939
Just to add I have a nikon 35-55mm zoom that I got from e-bay for £50, it is an autofocus lens but works just fine with the Z7 as well.
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #8
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin Ireland
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Just to add I have a nikon 35-55mm zoom that I got from e-bay for 50, it is an autofocus lens but works just fine with the Z7 as well.
Hi Gary, ok thanks for info.

Francis
Francis Chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Knokke-Heist, Belgium
Posts: 963
I just got my Tapa mount in the mail and I'm going to look out for a second hand prime telephoto Nikon lens now. (200 mm or 150 mm - f2,8). I suppose only the lenses with manual aperture (and an aperture ring) will work?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
I just got my Tapa mount in the mail and I'm going to look out for a second hand prime telephoto Nikon lens now. (200 mm or 150 mm - f2,8). I suppose only the lenses with manual aperture (and an aperture ring) will work?
NO I am using all my D300 lenses with the Z7 the 70-300mm I use is an AF Nikkor that came with my D200 and it is fine.

The good thing about Nikon is that they always have had manual and auto options on all their modern lenses, just set the lens to manual and you will be fine.

The only exception is the sigma 10-20mm as it is too wide for use.

I have some old Nikkor primes but it is the 70-300mm f4.5-f5 Af that came with my D200 that is the fave and pictured here:
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Knokke-Heist, Belgium
Posts: 963
Thanks for the info, Gary. That widens my scoop in lens searching. I used to have 12 Nikon lenses (amongst which a 300 mm f2,8 - that would have been an awesome 2100 mm on the Z7!), but I converted everything to Canon last year, because for my business (concerts) the lowlight-characteristics of Canon were better at the time. If I would have known Nikon was coming with their superb D3, I would have kept my gear, as a faithful Nikon user for 30 years! Anyway, I'll find what I need.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network