DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Z7 and Merlin Steadycam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/123486-z7-merlin-steadycam.html)

Luc De Wandel June 11th, 2008 03:09 AM

Z7 and Merlin Steadycam?

I know that, according to the specs, the Z7 is too heavy for the Merlin Steadycam, but has anyone here tried it in practice? Seems to me that adding weights should make it feasible...

Bruce G. Cleveland June 11th, 2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel (Post 891261)
I know that, according to the specs, the Z7 is too heavy for the Merlin Steadycam, but has anyone here tried it in practice? Seems to me that adding weights should make it feasible...

Omg that would be very heavy. The thing is that the gimbel in the merlin is only rated to withstand a certain weight and once you go over that, you may risk breaking something and down goes your camera. I would not even consider putting my expensive Z7 on my merlin.

Bruce

Luc De Wandel June 11th, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 891514)
Omg that would be very heavy. The thing is that the gimbel in the merlin is only rated to withstand a certain weight and once you go over that, you may risk breaking something and down goes your camera. I would not even consider putting my expensive Z7 on my merlin.

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I see your point. I've been testing the Merlin with my second cam (a Canon HV30) today and after having done that I wouldn' trust my Z7 on it either. With the Canon wide-angle adaptor on the HV-30 the setup is already heavy enough as it is. Steadycam-shots will have to be done with the HV30.

Andrew Wheatley June 11th, 2008 05:09 PM

Hi Guys,

I currently use a FX1 and have just ordered my Z7 and was about to order a merlin for it as well.

The Australian distributor told me they have a new Merlin with an all metal gimbal that can supposedly take the Z7?? or about 3.2kg??

Any guidance would be great...i don't want to buy something i can't use

Bruce G. Cleveland June 11th, 2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Wheatley (Post 891641)
Hi Guys,

I currently use a FX1 and have just ordered my Z7 and was about to order a merlin for it as well.

The Australian distributor told me they have a new Merlin with an all metal gimbal that can supposedly take the Z7?? or about 3.2kg??

Any guidance would be great...i don't want to buy something i can't use

I do think that it does meet the weight requirements, but just barely. A better question I have is why would you put yourself through that punishment? That would be very heavy to handle even for a few minutes.

Bruce

Luc De Wandel June 12th, 2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 891713)
I do think that it does meet the weight requirements, but just barely. A better question I have is why would you put yourself through that punishment? That would be very heavy to handle even for a few minutes.

Bruce

So true! Even the HV30 with it's heavy wide-angle adaptor is a combination that is quite hard to handle for a long time. After 10 minutes you feel it in your biceps. Don't forget that the combination of the Z7 plus the appropriate weights would be around 6 kg!

Stephen Gradin June 13th, 2008 07:09 PM

I have the newer Steadicam Merlin with the metal gimbal and tried it with my Z7U. The camera is too heavy for it, even with all of the Steadicam weights. I use it on my Canon HV20 and it works great on that. I assume if you also purchased the $1900 chest and arm attachments for the Merlin, that would work. Has anyone tried this? I didn't want to spend that kind of money, at least not yet.

Zach Love October 22nd, 2008 06:53 PM

I've read that the new metal gimble in the Merlin can take more weight, so has anyone else tried the Z7 on the Merlin?

I know the above posts say it is too heavy, but all I see in product photos are the Merlin w/ the Z1. Z7 isn't too much heaver than the Z1 so I'd think it would be very possible if you got used to it.

I'm sure if you're used to the HV20/HV30, the Z7 seems like a beast, but the Z7 really isn't that heavy of a camera.

A couple years ago I had a Sony Betacam SP (DXC-537 BVV-5) that I was using on a daily basis. Got to use a Betacam SX camera when mine was in the shop & the SX felt light (even though the SX was still at 18lbs loaded up). So I think "heavy" is always relative.

Also, my understanding is that the "new" Merlin w/ the metal gimble is any Merlin that isn't the "Garrett Brown Signature" series. Anyone know if that is correct?

Jim Martin October 23rd, 2008 01:53 PM

You have to move to the Pilot.....

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer

Zach Love October 23rd, 2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 954732)
You have to move to the Pilot.....

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer

Do I have to, have to, HAVE to move to the Pilot? Or do I just have to move to the Pilot?

Because according to the first specs of the Merlin, the Z1 can't fly. Yet nearly all the photos / demos I see of the Merlin has people flying the Z1.

I can't imagine that if the Z1 can fly the Z7 absolutely 100% w/o a doubt can NOT fly too.

Have you (or anyone) tried the Merlin w/ the Z1? Or the Z7?

Luc De Wandel October 28th, 2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 954905)
Do I have to, have to, HAVE to move to the Pilot? Or do I just have to move to the Pilot?

Because according to the first specs of the Merlin, the Z1 can't fly. Yet nearly all the photos / demos I see of the Merlin has people flying the Z1.

I can't imagine that if the Z1 can fly the Z7 absolutely 100% w/o a doubt can NOT fly too.

I tried the Z7 with the Merlin (with plastic gimball) and it's too heavy. I use the Merlin for my second camera now (Canon HV30 with the heavy original wide-angle adaptor) and that works fine.

Kuswendy Yasukin October 28th, 2008 06:52 PM

Z7U with Merlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 954905)

I tried Merlin with my Z7U and its too heavy, and It will burn your arms after couple of minute. Maybe adding Merlin Vest & Arms will help? has any one tried it?

I'm thinking of moving to Pilot too

Zach Love October 29th, 2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuswendy Yasukin (Post 956874)
I tried Merlin with my Z7U and its too heavy, and It will burn your arms after couple of minute. Maybe adding Merlin Vest & Arms will help? has any one tried it?

I'm thinking of moving to Pilot too

So you were able to get it to balance, correct?

I'm almost certain that I'd get the vest & arm too. Main thing I wanted to know is if the Z7 could balance on the Merlin.

I've shot MOS (man-on-the-street interviews) w/ one hand holding the mic & the other holdring the camera. The Z7 gets heavy after a couple min of that (I personally think that I have an easier time shooting w/ only one hand w/ a larger Betacam than these smaller cameras). I'm expecting to have to train a lot with any Steadicam to make it work, espicially when the counter weights double the pull downward.