Rolling shutter example - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
The flashes do look fine Rob and no I am not in denial.

Bruce
Come on Bruce do you really think they look as good as a CCD chip camera (not even close)

I showed the footage to a couple of people that dont even work in the industry and they noticed it slow the footage down and then please dont tell me it looks fine

Sorry it's just a huge disappointmet

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
Come on Bruce do you really think they look as good as a CCD chip camera (not even close)

I showed the footage to a couple of people that dont even work in the industry and they noticed it slow the footage down and then please dont tell me it looks fine

Rob
CCD and CMOS have their strong and weak points.

I'd prefer to have a CMOS camera when shooting an event (im an event videographer) with lots of bright lights in the background as it has no smear. I'd use a CCD camera when I know I will have lots of camera flashes to deal with.

Yes, i know you were talking directly to bruce, but really, people have different needs so if he likes the camera the way it is, let him be.
Ryan Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Valle View Post
CCD and CMOS have their strong and weak points.

I'd prefer to have a CMOS camera when shooting an event (im an event videographer) with lots of bright lights in the background as it has no smear. I'd use a CCD camera when I know I will have lots of camera flashes to deal with.

Yes, i know you were talking directly to bruce, but really, people have different needs so if he likes the camera the way it is, let him be.
I never said it is a crap camera it just does not suit a wedding videographer in your case Ryan it's fine.

Rob.
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #34
Major Player

i have the chance to buy this camera for under 5K, and sell one of my CCD Z1s,
should I do it, given I shoot 99% weddings? some of that stuff
looks like tape drop out (flashes)
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
Don't do it scott read past posts i've done so much research trying to convince myself it's the right camera for weddings but it's not. I've contact guys using it for weddings and they are disappointment.But it's your call

Rob.
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #36
Major Player

I can buy it and keep the CF recorder :-). I have read and read, and I am NOT
going to give sony that much money for a 12x lens, crappy rolling shutter and
slow as hell AF. I will take a nice long look at the new Panasonic this fall.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #37

Quote:

Rob
you have GOT to be kidding me, right?
CMOS/CCD....if you can't see the advatntages/disadvantages in each, in their own right, your'e kinda doomed as a "successful" videographer, ya know?
There really isn't a lot of room for delimiters in this biz. If you have some(delimiters that is), get some therapy b4 it's too late for you to make a career.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
This is why the Z7 is not selling that well in Sydney i dont know about the rest of the world but alot of people here have cancelled orders due to this issue.
What a disappointment this is supposed to be a professional camera i would understand if they use cmos in consumer cameras but in bloody PRO CAMERAS.
Rob, if the HVRZ7 isn't selling in Sydney can you point me to a dealer that has loads of stock on the shelf and is complaining that they can't sell them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
Scott, why don't you rent one first and try it for yourself? IMHO, using the internet for research is great, but making significant purchase decisions based on forum posts isn't the best approach.

Surely actually getting your hands on a camera and giving it a try in your specific application is the way to go.
Aaron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
you have GOT to be kidding me, right?
CMOS/CCD....if you can't see the advatntages/disadvantages in each, in their own right, your'e kinda doomed as a "successful" videographer, ya know?
There really isn't a lot of room for delimiters in this biz. If you have some(delimiters that is), get some therapy b4 it's too late for you to make a career.
Bill
So what is your main type of work Bill
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #40
Major Player

[QUOTE=Aaron Lucas;895292]Rob, if the HVRZ7 isn't selling in Sydney can you point me to a dealer that has loads of stock on the shelf and is complaining that they can't sell them?

Aaron who said their complaining they cant sell them i know there not selling a heap of them
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Don't do it scott read past posts i've done so much research trying to convince myself it's the right camera for weddings but it's not. I've contact guys using it for weddings and they are disappointment.But it's your call
I've done 3 weddings with the Z7 and it's great. Flashes are no problem... I don't understand your comments?
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #42
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Robert Bec;895297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Lucas View Post
Rob, if the HVRZ7 isn't selling in Sydney can you point me to a dealer that has loads of stock on the shelf and is complaining that they can't sell them?

Aaron who said their complaining they cant sell them i know there not selling a heap of them
Robert, you're right, no one said that they were complaining. If anything, there isn't enough stock to sell, as opposed to there being low demand.
Aaron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
I've done 3 weddings with the Z7 and it's great. Flashes are no problem... I don't understand your comments?
You have slowed the footage where lots of flashes have been going off you don't notice pixelation at all
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
You have slowed the footage where lots of flashes have been going off you don't notice pixelation at all
Come on Robert - sharp images and satisfied customers rule my world - not analysing pixels under a microscope for "Chromatic Aborations" and all the rubbish some people seem to babble about on the forums...
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Robert do you even own a Z7 or are you just going by what all the forums tell you? Cause i do own one and have used it for weddings with no problems.
Some of the issues people come up with seem to me to be excuses to not buy this camera rather than just admit they don't want to spend that much.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270