interval recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

interval recording

So I decided to check out the interval recording for the first time since buying this camera a week ago..... unless I'm using it wrong... it sucks.

It doesn't let you record intervals less than .5 seconds (or 15 frames), that means the footage that comes out is really choppy and not smooth enough. I spent the morning trying to get clouds blowing by. I believe a maximum of 2 frames every 5 mins is best for this type of effect but the camera doesn't go that low, what techniques are you guys doing to achieve this effect? besides really recording 5 hours continuous?!
Kevin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Continuous to CF card mate, then speed up in NLE... it's the only real way to do effective time lapse.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Li View Post
So I decided to check out the interval recording for the first time since buying this camera a week ago..... unless I'm using it wrong... it sucks.

It doesn't let you record intervals less than .5 seconds (or 15 frames), that means the footage that comes out is really choppy and not smooth enough. I spent the morning trying to get clouds blowing by. I believe a maximum of 2 frames every 5 mins is best for this type of effect but the camera doesn't go that low, what techniques are you guys doing to achieve this effect? besides really recording 5 hours continuous?!
Indeed, without any extra work it looks far too choppy. So I used the 15 frames and added a 'cross dissolve' between every shot in post. Looks good in the final result, but it's a lot of extra work...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Indeed, without any extra work it looks far too choppy. So I used the 15 frames and added a 'cross dissolve' between every shot in post. Looks good in the final result, but it's a lot of extra work...
You could just increase the playback speed by 1500% to bring it to 1 frame each.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm not familiar with the Sony Z7, but if you are trying to get smooth cloud time-lapse I have always used 1 frame at 1 second. I am not sure of all the cameras that will record in that fashion, but the Sony PVW-F350 series will.

Otherwise, speeding up the footage will work, but it is not as smooth as the method above.
And you are limited to the length of the tape. Many time-lapse sequences take longer than an hour or so.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
I'm not familiar with the Sony Z7, but if you are trying to get smooth cloud time-lapse I have always used 1 frame at 1 second. I am not sure of all the cameras that will record in that fashion, but the Sony PVW-F350 series will.

Otherwise, speeding up the footage will work, but it is not as smooth as the method above.
And you are limited to the length of the tape. Many time-lapse sequences take longer than an hour or so.
The lowest it will let you go is 15 frames/1 Minute interval. I guess I'll try to speed it up 1500% to get it down to 1 frame/minute in post.

I'll have to be there an hour just for 60 frames lol.....sigh
Kevin Li is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270