DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   capturing footage from a CF reader (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/124545-capturing-footage-cf-reader.html)

Jason LeFrense June 25th, 2008 06:50 AM

capturing footage from a CF reader

Is there anyway in FCPS 2.0 I can capture clips from a CF reader and only have one or 2 long clips instead of a 100 small clips.

Bruce G. Cleveland June 25th, 2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason LeFrense (Post 898309)
Is there anyway in FCPS 2.0 I can capture clips from a CF reader and only have one or 2 long clips instead of a 100 small clips.

That would be a wonderful option. I keep thinking there has got to be a way to do that, but have not been able to figure out how.

Bruce Cleveland

Tim Dashwood June 25th, 2008 03:53 PM

You mean that you'd like to combine many different takes into one long take?

It is easy to do in FCP but you have to be willing to lose your source TC.

I would just import them all (with log & transfer) then highlight all of them in the bin and drag them into a new sequence (they will go in alphabetically and hopefully chronologically.)
You can then export that sequence as a Quicktime reference movie (don't make self-contained) and throw it back in your bin to use as a source clip.

Keith Forman June 25th, 2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 898635)
That would be a wonderful option. I keep thinking there has got to be a way to do that, but have not been able to figure out how.

Bruce Cleveland

download the Sony Recording Unit Utility.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/hdv/...DR60/soft.html

kdbf

John Knight June 25th, 2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman (Post 898689)
download the Sony Recording Unit Utility.

"This software can only merge files that are divided by FAT32 specification."

Keith Forman June 25th, 2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 898710)
"This software can only merge files that are divided by FAT32 specification."

that's true but what is your point? The CF card is formatted to fat32.

kdbf

John Knight June 25th, 2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman (Post 898740)
that's true but what is your point? The CF card is formatted to fat32.

Jason wanted to know if there is a way to merge 100 small clips that have been individually created. The software only merges files that have been split because of the FAT32 limitations. It does not stitch or join smaller, un-split files into one big file - although I wish it would.

Keith Forman June 25th, 2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 898786)
Jason wanted to know if there is a way to merge 100 small clips that have been individually created. The software only merges files that have been split because of the FAT32 limitations. It does not stitch or join smaller, un-split files into one big file - although I wish it would.

oh, you may be correct. I have never tried it with small files. Personally, I like the breaks between the clips. I find it easy to keep track with Vegas Pro.

You could just drop all the clips in the time line and then render it as one large clip and then delete all the small segments... I know with Vegas it will not re-render the clips so the quality remains the same.

kdbf

Jason LeFrense June 26th, 2008 10:36 AM

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. I'm use to just capturing the one long clip and going though it setting ins and outs. Now that I have 90 clips in stead of just the one I find it takes more time to open each clip and view it then set an in and out point. I do like the fact that I can capture only the files I want, that makes it great for SDE. I have 2 weddings this weekend so I will let everyone know how things turn out.