DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Flange Back focus for Z7U on other lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/126031-flange-back-focus-z7u-other-lenses.html)

Max Carlson July 15th, 2008 10:31 PM

Flange Back focus for Z7U on other lenses

It seems that the flange focus on the Z7 only works while my carl zeiss lens is connected. Once I disconnect that lens and use a 1/3" to 2/3" adapter with a fujinon 2/3" lens, then the flange focus menu option is greyed out. I also would like to set flange focus for some of the nikon lenses I am using, which I have adapters for to fit onto the Z7.. Is this possible? The manual seems to say that flange focus only works with a carl zeiss lens? Is this correct?

Chris Barcellos July 15th, 2008 11:32 PM

Max:

I am looking at this camera, for use with my Nikon lenses. I don't know the answer to your question, but I am curious if your able to focus to infinity using the Nikons with your adapter. I understand it may focus through it, but will it at least get to infinity.

Tim Dashwood July 16th, 2008 07:07 AM

You would use the backfocus adjustment on any 2/3" lens attached to the adapter.

I doubt there is any backfocus solution for Nikon lenses on the Nikon adapter. However I would assume that the long focal lengths used would make it easy to front focus any shot by eye.... just don't zoom within the shot.

George Kroonder July 16th, 2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Carlson (Post 907946)
It seems that the flange focus on the Z7 only works while my carl zeiss lens is connected. Once I disconnect that lens and use a 1/3" to 2/3" adapter with a fujinon 2/3" lens, then the flange focus menu option is greyed out. I also would like to set flange focus for some of the nikon lenses I am using, which I have adapters for to fit onto the Z7.. Is this possible? The manual seems to say that flange focus only works with a carl zeiss lens? Is this correct?

The latest generation of lenses uses Lens Files to convey correction parameters for the lens to the camera. The camera talks to the lens continuously even when the unit is in full manual mode for the purpose of optimizing the image. The Lens files can be loaded manually on some cameras, but are usually loaded from memory contained in the lens. The backfocus adjustment in the Z7 and EX series only updates the lookup table (LUT) that is used to drive backfocus lens corrections.

For (mechanical) lenses that cannot be corrected by the camera, the FB Adjust is unavailable. You need to mechanically adjust backfocus, just like on other pro lenses/camera's.

For SLR-type lenses there usually is no way to adjust the backfocus unless the adapter provides this functionality.

George/

P.S. For the Z7 see page 10 of the manual (bottom right): it can only read lens files from compatible lenses and store up to 10 profiles.