DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Footage Z7U with Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 and TC301 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/126474-footage-z7u-nikkor-400mm-f-3-5-tc301.html)

Jake Latendresse July 22nd, 2008 09:04 PM

Footage Z7U with Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 and TC301

Here is some footage I got from my Z7 + lens adapter + 400mm f/3.5 manual lens + 1.7X TC 301

I mounted the unit on my Manfratto 501HDV head by the lens mount collar...no problems, but Id rather have it mounted another way.

I got the moon shot the other day with the teleconverter on...

The semi-zoomed deer I got without the TC at 400mm + whatever the X factor is.

The zoomed in stuff I got with all the lens accessories attached..800mm + the X factor.

My experience was grand!!! It works incredibly well in low light at f/3.5 Im sure I lost some f stops, but I was literally filming at night and found the results to be awesome.

The morning was a bit foggy, so the white balance appears to be off...but it wasnt. Please note that I was filming from 600-700 meters from my subject..so for that...waht do you think?

http://www.vimeo.com/1390806

Vincent Oliver August 5th, 2008 10:31 AM

Are we looking at the font used or the blurry footage?

Sorry, this didn't do anything for me and the music didn't male sense either.

Look forward to seeing some other work from you.

Mark Williams August 5th, 2008 11:06 AM

Let see if I have this right. 400mm x 7x maginification factor = 2800mm x 1.7x extender = 4760mm. I think with this extreme telephoto you are going to have problems with atmospheric haze and heat radiation. Especially when its 100+ degrees like was mentioned in your video. I am not an extreme telephoto shooter but it seems like you need to get closer to you subjects with a shorter focal length and or shoot under clearer conditions. On the other hand it may have just been the web compression that made the video look blurry. Just my 2 cents.

Bill Pryor August 5th, 2008 11:51 AM

That's like shooting through a telescope. Very nice wildlife photography. Maybe a haze filter would help a little, like a UV1. It might be nice to try to record some ambient sound instead of the music. One of those parabolic mics might go well with that telescope of a lens.

Gary Nattrass August 5th, 2008 06:07 PM

I agree very hazy I think that 300mm is about as long as you can go with this adaptor, maybe 400mm with an ifed lens but teleconverters are just too much and the chips in the Z7 can only resolve so much.

Alan Emery August 6th, 2008 07:56 PM

Hi Jake,

I have also been experimenting with a lens designed for a 35 mm camera (only 70 to 200mm) on an LX2. I used it in a number of situations, especially shooting wood ducks from a blind, and was amazed while I was filming. But when I looked at the results on a big screen, the pans were actually not all that smooth. I had difficulty staying in focus as the ducks swan toward or away from me. Most frustrating was trying to find a duckling in the viewfinder as the little guy zoomed all over the pond because he was so small and speedy while the lens sees such a small piece of the pond.

Ducks don't swim at one speed they swim jerkily (sort of like a chicken walks, but swimming). Finally I learned not to try to follow their exact movement, but only slow down the pan when they are going to stop. It is still difficult though at the 200mm end of the lens.

I encourage you to keep trying. Eventually maybe we will both find the right techniques!

Alan

Jake Latendresse August 15th, 2008 06:53 PM

hi everyone,

quite honestly, the haze you see has a lot to do with the fact that it was a very foggy morning. it was my first attempt at shooting wildlife with supertelephoto equipment. frankly, i was amazed at the distances i could cover with this system WITH THE TC.

i specialize in outdoor videography, and often film animals like Dall's Sheep, Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, etc...

sometimes getting closer to the animals is not an option. i see haze ALL THE TIME in wildlife documentaries that are related to supertelephoto factors...not that i am suggesting mine is that good...im only making a point.

I have more recent clips that i have not yet edited that looks significantly better. as soon s i get the time, i will post them so you can see the differences.

thanks for all your replies...i really appreciate the input.

jake

Vincent Oliver August 16th, 2008 12:12 AM

You can cut through some of the haze with a UV filter, otherwise just tweak the contrast in post production. I haven't tried any extreme telephotos with video as yet, but I have used them with 35mm film. The secret is to use a sturdy tripod together with an ultra smooth pan-tilt head.

I Look forward to seeing your next clip

Regards

Vincent Oliver
Digital Photography at photo-i