A Rolling Shutter Issue? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Rolling Shutter Issue?

I have noticed on a few shoots under flourescent lighting I will get several thick amber colored vertical bars crawling up the screen. On two occasions with a Z1 in a room with flourescent lighting I noticed the WB level pulsing to an amber then blue. At first thought when this occurred on both the Z7 & Z1 I thought it might be the LCD wigging out, but the effect occurs on tape.

I am thinking this issue is the same on both cams but looks like bars on the Z7 because of the rolling shutter. Does anyone else see this and know how to remedy it? Shift to an alternate shutter angle....?
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Contributor

You're not shooting with the auto shutter and auto white balance on, are you? That might cause the problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Page 71:
Is your FLICKER REDUCE set to "ON"?
Have you tried experimenting with ECS FREQUENCY?
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
You're not shooting with the auto shutter and auto white balance on, are you? That might cause the problem.
No, but I might have been at a shutter speed other than 1/60. I will have to see if i can repro under controlled conditions. I might post some footage.
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Page 71:
Is your FLICKER REDUCE set to "ON"?
Have you tried experimenting with ECS FREQUENCY?
It is set at whatever the defualt would be. I have not messed with ECS frequency.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:19 AM   #6
Tourist

Z7 Shutter Issue

Our Z7 has just gone back under warrenty to have this problem looked at.

We have both a Z7 and S270 and the banding "striation" issue was incredibly strong if we over exposed the aperture to allow for backlight etc. I sent a still to Sony and they said that it does look like the Z7 is faulty.

We could not recreate the exact same problem on the S270, however I was editing some HDV footage this morning, filmed with the S270 under high pressure mercury lighting and there does seem to be an issue.

The aperture was opened slightly to compensate for the fact that the presenters were dressed in white coats with a predominately bright plain background and I have noticed a very faint striation.

It's so faint as to be virtually unnoticable during normal viewing, but if you speed it up you can see bands moving down the image.

Shutter was switched off and I will check about the flicker reduction, I do know that with the Z7 we double checked anything that could affect the shutter.

I will experiment with the S270 and get back with an update.
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Major Player

I have exactly the same effect when I shoot under fluorescent lights and fast forward through the footage. I can't see it though at normal playback speed so I didn't worry about it.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #8
Tourist

Oh Boy feeling like a fool

Hi Everyone,

Looks like this was my bad and no one at Sony realised it before asking me to send back.

Probably like many people that have been making videos for many years, I only read the bits of the manual refering to things that were new to me on this camera. I presumed that the shutter was either ON or OFF!

What I missed entirely is that the Z7 does NOT have a Shutter OFF setting, it is either Manual or Automatic.

And because I had the Data Display option in menu switched off there was no indication that the shutter speed was automatic.

So from now on this will always be in manual with the speed set to 50FPS unless we need to adjust it to reduce flicker.

Seems a bit of a silly setting to me (the S270 does have ON, AUTO and OFF settings).

But oh well - I might stop blushing by the end of the day. Other than that the Z7 is awsome!
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #9
Tourist

A believe it to be a cmos chip problem maybe rolling shutter i have read something

Could it be rolling shutter a cmos chip problem i have heard that Cmos chip suffer from rolling shutter when paning and change of light more so than 3ccd camera's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
I have exactly the same effect when I shoot under fluorescent lights and fast forward through the footage. I can't see it though at normal playback speed so I didn't worry about it.
Michael Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Poole View Post
Could it be rolling shutter a cmos chip problem i have heard that Cmos chip suffer from rolling shutter when paning and change of light more so than 3ccd camera's
Did you read the post above? This issue has nothing to do with the use of rolling shutter on CMOS sensors.
Aaron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #11
Major Player

If you can get or find the issues of Pro HD magazine,(or HD Pro) it addresses the rolling shutter and three other issues inherent with the cmos chips, its what you have to put up with, its the way the chip analyzes the info, the ccd sees the whole thing, the cmos sees it like you letting down a shutter. thats it, I believe it was the August and October issue, there are also white papers , go to DALSA and fish thru for the tech stuff, its there also, this company was instrumental in the design. I had to read it twice (my friend let me read his) the chips provide things the ccd doesn't, and basically the Ex1/3 could have never been made without them, too much heat. so you get what you get. All high end cameras use the ccd for now, and the cmos is cheaper to make I believe
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #12
Major Player

I just shot some Z7 24p footage under mercury vapors. The banding was very pronounced.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Is there a way to correct the banding in post? I thought the fluorescents in one location we shot at were high-frequency, but they were not. Plus I assumed the shutter was set at 1/60, and it was not. I'd like to avoid having to reshoot this scene, and wondered if there was a plug-in to correct this in post or not?

Thanks!

Scott
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270