DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Auto-Focus question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/128547-auto-focus-question.html)

Chad Dyle August 22nd, 2008 10:23 PM

Auto-Focus question

I use my Z7U in Auto and Manual focus modes, depending on the situation (weddings). I noticed tonight that when the camera was set to manual focus (lens pushed forward) everything seemed normal. It shows the meter reading and is manual. When I pull the ring back to put it in automatic focus, it doesn't seem to switch. I can still roll the focus back and forth, but no auto mode. Did I do something and not realize it. One of my other shooters used it last week, but she doesn't think she changed any settings.
Does this mean anything to you guys?

Thanks,

Chad

John Knight August 22nd, 2008 11:55 PM

Is there the manual focus icon present on screen? (hand with F on it)

Barry Wilkinson August 23rd, 2008 04:56 AM

I have a similar problem

The focus ring needs to be in the BACK position for manual and Forward for auto focus. I have however noticed a problem on my 270 in that the auto focus seems to be not working at all. I have looked in the complex menus, setting and switches but can find no reason why it should not work . I have only noticed this because of this post as 99% of the time I use manual focus. I am going to get in touch with Sony to see what they will do. I would want them to send me a replacement lens first as I need the camera all the time and cant be without a lens.

Chad Dyle August 23rd, 2008 06:44 AM

When the camera is in Manual mode, I do get the little hand with the "F" in it. When its in Auto, it goes away. The it worked previously was when in Auto mode, if it was a bit out of focus, I could spin the wheel and fix things. I use mostly Manual, but for the bride walking down the aisle, I leave it in auto.

-Chad

Brendan Pyatt August 23rd, 2008 05:06 PM

Assign a button to focus and another to One Push focus.

When in manual focus (ring forward):

Pressing focus button will toggle the hand on and off - it will also toggle autofocus on and off.

When hand is showing pressing One Push focus will turn on autofocus whilst the button is pressed.

I would imagine that you have a button assigned and have pressed it accidentally and that is why the cam is not behaving as you would want it to.

If you have a lanc controller with a focus button it will act like the One push focus button whilst its held down or if you press it once it will enable the rocker to pull focus.

I find this system excellent. The EX1 has a poor one push focus method - you press the button and it will continue to hunt for focus until it believes it has focus lock ie it continues to hunt after you have released the button.

Barry Wilkinson August 24th, 2008 08:33 AM

I am mssing something?

I have looked at my 270 again and the focus is in manual when pulled BACK not forward. It then has physical end stops. When pushed forward the focus control can be rotated forever without hitting the end stops. Am I being stupid or is the lens different on the 270?
Yes I am missing something which is the i in missing....doh.

Brendan Pyatt August 24th, 2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt (Post 924008)
When in manual focus (ring forward):

My bad! Late night posting is never good...

Manual is to the ring pulled back.

My post was about when the ring is in forward and in auto-focus mode.

Push to focus and focus button have no effect in manual mode.

Barry Wilkinson August 24th, 2008 09:20 AM

Problem sorted!

Ok I have sorted the lack of auto focus on the lens of my 270. You have to have "Focus" assigned to an assign button to be able to switch it on and off ( without moving the lens ring) Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.
However I must insist that its "slide back" on the focus ring for manual and "slide forward" for auto focus unless the lens on my 270 is set out differently. Can someone agree with me before I think I am losing my mind???
I think the logic on the control system on this camera lens is distinctly Japanese and not obvious at all ,and those assign buttons are so easy to switch by accident so be careful ("yes I will " says he talking to himself!)

Barry Wilkinson August 24th, 2008 09:21 AM

Thankyou

Thanks Brendan , I am now reasonably sane again!!!

Chad Dyle August 24th, 2008 10:01 AM

I do have a Bebob contoller with a focus button on it. I must have had a moment where I accidentally pressed a button or two without realizing it. I know when I pick up the camera for a quick move that I can press the WB or Shutter button, but that is a noticeable change. Thanks for all the help! It was better than sitting on the phone with Sony!

-Chad

Brendan Pyatt August 24th, 2008 10:31 AM

Barry,

You can un-assign buttons or simply re-assign them to something else to stop this happening if you never use this function.

It does seem really confusing at first - I guess its like everything once you use it a bit it becomes more intuitive.

I like the focus and one push focus buttons - I re-assign the 'digital zoom' button on the lens to be the push to focus button. You can then leave the ring in autofocus position and change to manual focus at the touch of a button. I find pushing the ring back & forth an unpleasant method - its too physical and can move the cam changing shot composition.