DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Tapes for my new Z7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/129122-tapes-my-new-z7.html)

Robert Bec September 1st, 2008 02:21 AM

Tapes for my new Z7

what tapes would work best if i decide to record DV or HDV can I use the same type of tape

Could you use the sony premium or should i use the sony pro tapes the ones in the blue packaging.
HDV tapes are just to expensive to use once

Rob

Gary Nattrass September 1st, 2008 02:38 AM

I have always used the sony premium mini DV tapes with my V1 and Z7, never had a problem and they are as cheap as chips.

DVM60PR3 are what I buy

Robert Bec September 1st, 2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 927619)
I have always used the sony premium mini DV tapes with my V1 and Z7, never had a problem and they are as cheap as chips.

DVM60PR3 are what I buy

DVM60PR3 does not seem to exist here in sydney we have DVM60R3 i wonder if its the same tape because the packaging looks different

Rob

John Bour September 1st, 2008 03:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert,
we have used about 1500 of these tapes over the last 3 years,
about 2,5 years / 1300 tapes with a Z1, 4 months/200 tapes with Z7.

dropouts: maybe two with the Z1, none with the Z7 so far.

John Knight September 1st, 2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 927620)
DVM60PR3 does not seem to exist here in sydney we have DVM60R3 i wonder if its the same tape because the packaging looks different

DVM60R3 - Used for about 6 years with VX2000/PD170. Reused each tape around 7-8 times before getting about 1-pixel dropout - then chucking away.

Using same brand with Z7. Plan to only reuse around 3-4 times - have done so on a few without any dropouts.

A friend used to mix tapes (ie: had a couple of Panasonics and JVC's in the mix) - had awful trouble with dropouts and jams. Choose 1 brand and stick to it.

Have you bought a Z7??? :)

Gary Nattrass September 1st, 2008 07:23 AM

The tape pictured is the same one that I use, also Sony cameras love sony tapes and I do not use any other brand.

Greg Laves September 1st, 2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 927616)
HDV tapes are just to expensive to use once

Rob

If a client is paying for the tape stock, then the price shouldn't really be an issue to you. You just mark it up accordingly.

Robert Bec September 10th, 2008 03:37 PM

Is anyone using these Sony Tapes and what do you think of them

Sony DVM-63HD Mini DV Video Cassette

Ngo Vinh-Hoi September 10th, 2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 932099)
Is anyone using these Sony Tapes and what do you think of them

Sony DVM-63HD Mini DV Video Cassette

Those are good. I've used them on a lot of docs and we use them in all of our HDV cameras at my university with no issues to report. A lot cheaper than the "Digital Master" series too (~$9-10 US) when bought in reasonable quantities.

Nobody I know here in New York will shoot critical footage with Sony Premiums--lots of snarled tapes and dirtied heads even with clean cameras and no mixing of tape brands. But then again, everyone else on this thread has had good experiences, so maybe it's just us;-)

Yrs,

Hoi