HD vs SD. Start to end Product. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 11th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD vs SD. Start to end Product.

Is recording HD vs SD really that better at the end of the production chain if the final product is to DVD.
Now I think that recording in SD, capturing in SD, editing, compressing to MPEG-2 then out to DVD looks as good as HD downconverted…
I know recording in the highest quality possible is a given and I understand this but after doing tests HD-SD I find that the conversion from HD to SD just doesn’t seen quite right.
When we are converting to a MPEG-2 format what exactly is being taken away from the original 1440x1080 to bring it to it’s new format of 720x576 Pal?

Are my eyes going, Am I going mad.
Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #2
Trustee

I shoot on HDV 1080i 50i and edit in final cut studio 2 at this resolution, I then export pro res 422 HQ at 1920x1080i

I then load this directly into idvd and let it transcode from pro res to the DVD, it keeps the resolution good and the contrast ratio nice too.

If I want filmic look I export pro res 422 HQ 1920x1080p from FCP but the de-interlace takes a bit longer.

I dont use compressor and just go straight out of FCP as an export, I agree with you that I have found using other methods very disapointing when going from full HDV to SD.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Gary,

Are you using the Z7 at 1440x1080i or using another camera? I'm a bit confused with 1920x1080i
Do you use any sharpening on your footage.

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270