Z7U CF File Joining at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Z7U CF File Joining

We do a lot of multi-camera (TV shows & weddings) and multi-sync is IMPORTANT to us and at present cannot use the CF unit because of the 3.96Gb file size limit and wondered if anyone knows of software or a hack that will join these files together seemlessly outside the camera both quickly and easily without data risk?

For background I know I can load them into a sequence and export them as a single clip which will join them but that isn't going to save me time over just capturing from three or four tapes. Someone said there is a file joiner that works seemlessly and I've looked and cannot find. I must be searching for the "wrong" label or keyword. So if anyone knows of a safe fix on this I'd be most interested. This would ultimately result in me buying two more of these cameras :o)
Rodger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Rodger,

Try this:

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/sony-hvr...r-utility.html
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
I do believe that is the little animal I'm lookin for :o) Will give it a try this evening.
Rodger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use mpeg streamclip you can join your clips with this app and its free. I use for FCP because I still can't get FCP to recognize the sony CF cards.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Wow, it works. The utility doesn't actually install it just runs from the .exe file. Thus I parked it in a My Documents folder and created a ShortCut for the Desktop.

It does load a lot slower than just copy/paste. And I mean a lot slower. Probably increases the transfer time by at least 2x. Just a guess but perhaps I'll run a test. Thought about maybe copy/paste the folder over first but then just messing with it for a couple minutes it's obvious that it A. looks for a drive and B. looks for a compact flash, not just data. Also, word to the wise . . don't change the name of the folder that's on the CF from the camera, I did just for identity so I could load some more things onto the card to transfer to that computer and the utility could not find the card/file at all . . the file has to be named Video and on a Compact Flash and on a drive letter. Wow. So, guessing I couldn't creat a partition for off loading and transferring cuz it probably is going to look for CF. Oh well, at least I gotz maself one big ole file :o)
Rodger Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270