DV Info Net

DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Rectilinear Wide Lens?... (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/131064-rectilinear-wide-lens.html)

Bill Petropoulos September 17th, 2008 01:17 AM

Rectilinear Wide Lens?...
 
Does anyone know if the optional wide lens Sony sells for the Z7U is rectilinear?

In other words...no barrel distortion or the "fisheye" look.

And is it on sale yet?

Anyone have it?

Wanna post video if you do?

Thanks.

-BillP

John Knight September 17th, 2008 05:08 PM

Not sure about the Sony one. But this Century Optics one is now shipping and would love to hear about it first hand....

Century Precision Optics | 0HD-06WA-Z7U 0.6x Wide | 0HD-06WA-Z7U

Bill Petropoulos September 17th, 2008 06:32 PM

I'm sure that adapter will have plenty of barrel distortion. No good for me.


-BillP

John Knight September 17th, 2008 07:43 PM

Check the SAMPLE tab - looks ok to me...

.6X WIDEANGLE HD Z7U/S270U BAY - Schneider Optics

Wacharapong Chiowanich September 17th, 2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Petropoulos (Post 935991)
Does anyone know if the optional wide lens Sony sells for the Z7U is rectilinear?

The Sony adapter that is made specifically for the lens on the Z7/S270 is a rectilinear lens. I have not yet tested the lens as it still is not available in my area but it should be quite safe to say there would be some residual distortions that may affect your work if you do a lot of shooting with architectural or geometric-shaped subjects. Whether this will be acceptable to you depends very much on your standards or your customers' requirements.

Historically, Sony have made good adapter lenses to fit their specific camcorder models. I own a few including ones that fit the Z1 and HC1. They are both excellent optically with moderate specs (not extremely wide or tele). Avoid extreme angle lenses from any makers if you can't put up with linear distortion and all the optical aberrations that could obviously be seen in your footage. But if you like the fisheye look, a few flaws may be tolerable and have to be.

Bring your camera to your trusted dealer that has it and try it on. See for yourself if it is OK for your work.

Wacharapong

Bill Petropoulos September 18th, 2008 01:26 AM

Sorry guys,

But I find it pointless to purchase a camera with a removable lens option and then stick on an image degrading converter.

I'm not interested in wide converters. Tired of barrel distortion and fuzzy edges.
I've used the best wide angle converters in the business, and they are still sub-par to a dedicated wide-angle lens.

So...

Let me repeat: I'm not interested in wide converters.

I'm looking for info regarding the optional wide lens.

I thought they went on sale in June, where are they?

Thanks,


-BillP

Mike Paterson September 18th, 2008 02:59 AM

The launch of the wide lens appears to have been delayed - I was told October (in the UK)

Bill Petropoulos September 18th, 2008 10:57 AM

Thanks Mike.

I'm holding off buying the Z7 to first see if I like the wide lens...


-BillP

Ryan Avery September 29th, 2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Petropoulos (Post 938829)
Sorry guys,

But I find it pointless to purchase a camera with a removable lens option and then stick on an image degrading converter.

I'm not interested in wide converters. Tired of barrel distortion and fuzzy edges.
I've used the best wide angle converters in the business, and they are still sub-par to a dedicated wide-angle lens.

So...

Let me repeat: I'm not interested in wide converters.

I'm looking for info regarding the optional wide lens.

I thought they went on sale in June, where are they?

Thanks,


-BillP


I understand your feelings on this issue. The removeable lens is a major selling feature of the Z7U.

Having said that, I would encourage you to check out our new .75x converter for the Z7U that will be available for purchase in Mid-November. This lens truly is excellent and I have seen zero image degradation at the corners unlike some previous attachments that naturally caused a bit softer corners.

You are right that at the end of the day a removable lens is better but most cameras don't have this option. I would keep an open mind and check out both options. Our new lens might surprise you.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Bill Petropoulos October 1st, 2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Avery (Post 944636)
Having said that, I would encourage you to check out our new .75x converter for the Z7U that will be available for purchase in Mid-November. This lens truly is excellent and I have seen zero image degradation at the corners unlike some previous attachments that naturally caused a bit softer corners.

...Oh boy not again...

That's fine if it's sharp edge to edge.
I don't want it.

It's the "look" of adapters that i want to avoid.

Read my first post again...and my 2nd...and my 3rd...

I want edge distortion...Rectilinear Distortion specifically.

I'm getting the new Canon 5D Mark II to use with my 16-35mm lens.
That's the look I'm going for.


-Bill

John Knight October 1st, 2008 03:42 PM

Hi Bill,

How about a nice screw-on wide angle adapter? They are really good I've heard.... :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network