DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Adjusting the Z7's flange focal length automatically? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/134840-adjusting-z7s-flange-focal-length-automatically.html)

Dennis St. John September 27th, 2008 03:41 PM

Adjusting the Z7's flange focal length automatically?

Has anyone had any success with adjusting the flange focal length automatically, as described in the Operating Guide for the Sony HVR-Z7U on page 11? I have tried about 20 times now, following everything to a T, and every time, I end up with the message [Could not adjust]. I have successfully performed the manual adjustment, but not sure if I am even doing that correctly. What's the point of this operation anyways? I am still learning with this high end camera.

Thanks!

Gerd Kogler November 22nd, 2008 07:53 AM

Adjusting the Z7's focal length flange automatically?

G'day,
You've tried 20 times, I've tried about 12 times. When it finally worked, I had all room lights
switched off with the target taped to a wall. Perhaps that made the difference?!
Cheers, Gerd

Gary Nattrass November 22nd, 2008 09:54 AM

You also need to have the chart about 15 feet away from the lens.

Gerd Kogler November 30th, 2008 06:46 AM

Perhaps a silly question:
Is flange focal length adjustment still necessary, if used with the 12x Zeiss AF lens in manual focus mode ONLY? What about 35mm lenses with the Tapa adaptor, which can only be used in manual focus?
I appreciate your kind response, it saves me a bit of testing around, and it's always good to be sure.
Thanks, Gerd.

Greg Laves November 30th, 2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerd Kogler (Post 970621)
Perhaps a silly question:
Is flange focal length adjustment still necessary, if used with the 12x Zeiss AF lens in manual focus mode ONLY? Thanks, Gerd.

Typically, when you use the lens in manual mode, most photogs will zoom all the way in, focus perfectly and then zoom out and frame the shot. If you do that without adjusting the flange properly, when you zoom out, if the adjustment is not already spot on, your image will be soft and not in focus. If you don't zoom in and just trust the EVF or LCD (which are lower resolution than the camera is capable of) you could still be soft. There is no good reason not to adjust the flange back properly before you ever use the camera with what ever lens you are using.

Gerd Kogler December 1st, 2008 06:47 AM

Thanks for the 'in-depth' explanation, Greg.
Gerd

Gerd Kogler December 20th, 2008 06:22 AM

Adjusting the Z7's focal length flange automaticallly?

Hi Greg,
just a final word on your advice.
With non-Zeiss lenses FLANGE BACK is not available in the menu, thus it can't be done
(page 106 bottom of Operating Guide). I have no trouble though focusing a 35mm Tele-Zoom and I always get the desired results. Focusing has to be done in full zoom, of course, as the much shallower depth of field is a great help.
Am I missing something?
Ciao, Gerd.

Hirata Tomoki August 15th, 2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerd Kogler (Post 967370)
G'day,
You've tried 20 times, I've tried about 12 times. When it finally worked, I had all room lights
switched off with the target taped to a wall. Perhaps that made the difference?!
Cheers, Gerd

Right, this function will shows "Could not adjust" in normal light.
I tried 3 times only, 10 fts distance, just only close a little bit IRIS. OK!

Greg Laves August 17th, 2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerd Kogler (Post 981278)
Hi Greg,
just a final word on your advice.
With non-Zeiss lenses FLANGE BACK is not available in the menu, thus it can't be done
(page 106 bottom of Operating Guide). I have no trouble though focusing a 35mm Tele-Zoom and I always get the desired results. Focusing has to be done in full zoom, of course, as the much shallower depth of field is a great help.
Am I missing something?
Ciao, Gerd.

Never saw this response until this thread was brought back to life. But broadcast lenses have an adjustment that is built into the lens for adjusting flange back. You do not use the Z7 menu.

Gerd Kogler August 18th, 2009 08:28 AM

Greg,
I am using a Sigma 100-300 APO f4, so I can't do the FLANGE BACK. But I have no problem
in getting pin-sharp focus with that lens.
Cheers,
Gerd