DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   LCD screen problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/137295-lcd-screen-problems.html)

Barry Wilkinson November 6th, 2008 05:14 AM

LCD screen problems

I have just been sent this link by a friend who has ordered three! Any comments from anyone Stateside about it if they have seen it in action?
Hood-Pro Professional Hoods and Loupes

Eric Royle December 6th, 2008 10:36 AM

availability of Hood-Pro

I am selling one at the moment.

Keith Forman December 6th, 2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Wilkinson (Post 960161)
I have just been sent this link by a friend who has ordered three! Any comments from anyone Stateside about it if they have seen it in action?
Hood-Pro Professional Hoods and Loupes

So this is not a post about a "LCD screen problems". This is about selling a product. I would not have wasted my time looking at this thread had I known this.

Barry Wilkinson December 9th, 2008 05:49 AM

I am sorry but you are wrong. I posted this to inform members of a new product that I had not seen before and may be of interest to those who have problems with lcd screens in daylight. I have no connection with the company that makes them nor have I ever used one (yet) so cannot recommend the item. I was hoping someone else may have used it and could give an opinion on whether it works.

Andy Nickless December 14th, 2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Wilkinson (Post 975098)
Cameraman BBC and ITV since 1966

Blimey Barry, you must be as old as me!
(I'm a 49-er).

Sorry this isn't a more constructive post.
I looked at this hood some months ago and decided it would be too cumbersome for my particular work - but the reports I've read have been very enthusiastic.

Gareth Watkins December 15th, 2008 03:55 AM

Hi Barry
I've got one on my Z1, quite crudely made really but it works brilliantly. In conjunction with a shoulder mount adaptor it is very good indeed.
If you do a search you'll see that Philip Bloom did a review on it for the EX1, and Adam Wilt did a write up too. All agree it works very well.
ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews

cheers
Gareth

Barry Wilkinson December 17th, 2008 09:54 AM

Yes I am as old as you...in fact I am much older!! I am 62 and that is one of the reasons using eyepieces and LCD screens is getting more difficult. I am ordering one of these items as they dont cost a lot ,so I will report back. I am semi retired really so dont do much work which suits me after years of rushing around like an idiot!

Gareth Watkins December 17th, 2008 10:59 AM

Hi Barry,
You don't have to be 62 to have these problems...I'm 46
I never liked the EVF on the Z1 as using it meant having the camera stuck out in front and it got very heavy after a while with mic, radio receiver, matte box etc on it...

So I took to using the LCD with a hood and a Cavision shoulder brace. A bit front heavy but far better and more importantly steadier than before..

Ok next problem: To get the best balance I moved the camera as far back as possible on the shoulder brace... but my eyes are changing and with glasses on I could no longer focus the LCD. So glasses off for shooting, on again for seeing the world around me.. not a practical solution.

Then enter the Hood-pro and sock... I can now focus with the LCD as a viewfinder with my glasses on, almost like the old digibetas I've used before. It turns the Z1, Z5,Z7 and the EX1 (as they share the same layout) into mini shoulder cams..(well almost.)
Well at least this will keep me going until my next camera.......a S270, an EX3 or who knows, perhaps the EX5 will be a proper shoulder mount.

cheers
Gareth

Jun Galinato December 23rd, 2008 11:15 PM

I just received mine today. It fits exactly on my Z7. The only problem I encountered is keeps shifting off. The design is good but...it should have a little cut on the right side of the LCD bump like an arc. I cut mine with a scalpel and solve my problem. Now its intact, no shifting anymore. Works perfectly with my shoulder brace. Manual focusing is now a snap.

Jun

Barry Wilkinson December 24th, 2008 05:13 AM

Hi everyone ,Happy Xmas!
Got mine today but havent tried it yet in a proper operating mode, I have just looked at it. I am sure its a device that Sony ought to look at for all lcd screens and maybe they could tailor it to different cameras.
I will report back my findings.